TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

I might be blacklisted - July 22nd 2022, 05:48 AM

I quit my job without notice, which by company policy says I'm now permanently a non-rehire. I'm fine with that. I stand by the fact that this is one of the rare circumstances where doing so was entirely justified, and if that is a consequence, I can accept it.

The problem is that I've since had 3 interviews where I was almost hired on the spot, or led to believe an offer was coming, only to be ghosted, which is a major sign your previous employer is giving you a bad reference. No, they're not supposed to do that, and depending on where you live, it might be illegal.

I can't prove it, but considering I was admittedly one of their best employees and this has happened 3 times in as many weeks, one of them being practically the same job I had with a different company during which the manager was already talking about promoting me, I'm extremely suspicious.

Like I said, if I can never work for the company again because I quit without notice, I can live with that. But the manager who screwed me multiple times, and deserved to be quit on without notice apparently hates me so much, she's going to keep me from getting another job anywhere. I'm going to answer "no" to the "May we contact this employer?" on my applications from now on, give my references a heads up, and hopefully that helps until this b***h is fired or leaves the company. I'm just lucky I realized it so soon.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59

Re: I might be blacklisted - July 22nd 2022, 05:19 PM

Wow, I’m sorry you have to put up with this! It’s not fair for sure. Is there anyone you can report this to?
I’m glad you noticed either way to be able to solve the problem.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: I might be blacklisted - July 22nd 2022, 11:27 PM

I have a friend of a friend who is a hiring manager and may be willing to do a reference check for me. I'm flagged in their system as a non-rehire which I think is what is turning people off, but if they're calling and talking to a human, I have no idea what they're being told. I will 100% own and explain it in an interview, but now I can't even get that far. In Ohio, employers are granted immunity to give any type of reference they want, as long as it's factually true. They aren't supposed to, but it obviously happens. Reporting it won't do anything unless I can prove they're lying or being discriminatory.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: I might be blacklisted - August 12th 2022, 11:47 AM

I'm so glad you got out of your previous work situation!

Although, it's really unfair that you have to deal with potentially being blacklisted. I definitely agree with trying to explain the situation at an interview. It's really unfair that your ex employer could be giving you a negative reference and you don't even have the chance to explain your side of the story!

Hope things pick up for you soon!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: I might be blacklisted - August 13th 2022, 04:16 AM

I've had plenty of interviews since, but no offers. Apparently, even if this is happening you really have no options as a candidate:

Answering "No" to "May we contact?" on the application is a red flag
Telling your side of the story in an interview is "bashing management" and is a red flag, even if you're obviously justified
Potential employer getting a bad reference out of the blue (because you can't prevent it without looking like the bad guy) is a red flag

Someone suggested putting the corporate instead of the store contact information, so I'll try that. Otherwise, I'm at a loss. Everyone knows that constructive termination is a thing. WHY is the employee the bad guy for admitting to being a victim of it?!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Rika Offline
Chat Buddy

Junior TeenHelper

Pronouns: she/they

Points: 13,432, Level: 16 Points: 13,432, Level: 16 Points: 13,432, Level: 16

Re: I might be blacklisted - October 28th 2022, 08:09 PM

I quit a few jobs with zero notice and I'm sadly blacklisted from those companies. I had a bad experience at Spirit Halloween in 2019 with the assistant manager, so quit without notice. She was not a very nice person and made working there not fun. Sadly cannot even work for Spencer's or anything ever again.

Also yes, for my first job ever I put the corp number over the store number. I was fired from my first job for cause.
Closed Thread