TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stephanie

Points: 14,069, Level: 17 Points: 14,069, Level: 17 Points: 14,069, Level: 17

Registered Dietician post Eating Disorder? - May 2nd 2010, 07:12 PM

Am I able to become a registered dietician although I suffered from an eating disorder when I was younger? I am deffinately recovered and have been for a while. I wanted to become a dietician because I love learning about health and I love the idea of helping people that are suffering from the same types of things that I did. I remember begging for someone to take me to a nutritionist because I just wanted to know what and how much I was supposed to be eating, I didn't really know for a long time that I was unhealthy. Will anyone try to keep me from becomming a RD although I am recovered? Can they even do that?

Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites; like my appetite for patterns; perhaps my appetite to imagine and to dream. - A Beautiful Mind

I met Steven October 3rd, 2008. We've been practically inseperable ever since. ♥
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
Article Editor

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36

Re: Registered Dietician post Eating Disorder? - May 2nd 2010, 08:36 PM

I wouldn't see why not. I would go and talk to someone in your neighbourhood that you can talk to about this. But I honestly can't see why they would deny you because of that.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

Article Editor
Social Media Guru|Live Help Mentor|HelpLINK Mentor
Chat Moderator|Forum Moderator(Young at Heart)
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Points: 21,551, Level: 21 Points: 21,551, Level: 21 Points: 21,551, Level: 21

Re: Registered Dietician post Eating Disorder? - May 2nd 2010, 09:03 PM

^ It's based on occupational health.

To be honest, no one here can answer that question. You need to talk to some schools and employers to see how much it would affect your career. They're obviously going to have some questions about how well you've recovered and how healthy you are. And they should assess you on how you are now.

But I'd be lying if I didn't think it would have at least some affect. Whether that affect be that you just have to have an assessment or more.

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Registered Dietician post Eating Disorder? - May 3rd 2010, 02:28 AM

There would be an issue if your past condition negatively affected your performance as a dietician in some way. If you tell your future employer about your past condition, then it would raise many flags and there may be an evaluation (formal or informal) as to how you currently are. Alternatively, some employers may not feel comfortable because of the increased chances that you may become a liability from your past conditions re-emerging or not fully recovered. Either way, telling the employer about this will raise many flags and they may not be as in favour of hiring you.

As for becoming a registered dietician, I'm not sure it will affect you because as long as you can properly perform then there may be no issues with that. They likely would not prevent you just because you did suffer from an eating disorder as it matters how you currently are.
Closed Thread