TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Points: 10,904, Level: 15 Points: 10,904, Level: 15 Points: 10,904, Level: 15

Whats college level accounting statistics like? - September 15th 2011, 11:26 AM

Anyone who studied accounting or statistics tell me what its like? I'll have both courses for a year, doing BBA in marketing. I'm not terrible at math, but I'm not very good at it, I work hard to do well in it. I was wondering how much math is it? Is it a very advanced level. Iv heard its more accounting is more of numbers and arithemetic math? So what are both courses like? And are they interesting?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Whats college level accounting statistics like? - September 16th 2011, 07:09 AM

I've never done accounting at a college/university level, only at a high-school level but I have done several courses in statistics.

There's no heavy math calculations you do in your introductory courses. In later courses (i.e. some 2nd years ones but definitely 3rd year ones), you get very math oriented depending what area you're studying in. However, introductory courses generally assumes normal/bell curves and base their theories from there, such as z-tests. This always makes it simpler but some people find it harder to grasp the concepts than others. You won't need to know how to do derivations as they do involve higher level math, so if you know at least some multi-variable calculus and linear algebra, you may be able to handle the derivations. One of the difficulties though is since you aren't told in introductory courses how some of the theories come, it forces you to just memorize.

There's not a high level of math at all, it's mostly memorizing equations (or you may be given them depending how nice your prof is). You don't need to derive any of them, just plug in your numbers and go from there. Sometimes you'll need to use multiple equations one after the other because they each are meant to be used for particular situations, so there's little confusion. At an introductory level, you'd do lots of it by hand since the calculations are pretty short. The longest would probably be doing an ANOVA table (analysis of variance). Eventually, you'd probably use computer software to produce various graphs and do the calculations because once you've done 20 ANOVAs by hand, you've pretty much got the gist of it for the introductory level.

I found the computer software to sometimes be confusing and quite complicated as they're not meant just for an introductory level. Many are used in real-world situations for higher-level statistics, so you'll probably see many terms on it you've never heard of. For example, a common computer statistical software, and one that I use, is SPSS and MiniTab16 (you can get a free trial of MiniTab16 online).

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
Closed Thread