TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Lifestyle and Hobbies Use this forum to discuss your favourite hobbies and interests.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Banksy and graffiti - March 11th 2021, 04:18 PM

I've been thinking about this for a while. Graffiti is considered an act of criminal damage in the UK, and other countries. Anyone caught doing it either gets fined, or jail time. Yet when Banksy does it, somehow it's allowed.

I've seen a few discussions and blogs on this subject before. Graffiti is criminal damage, but is also considered art. Banksy's 'art' sells for a lot of money, therefore it is allowed.

Whether we agree with this or not, I suppose is up to the individual.

While Banksy has produced a lot of fantastic pieces which cover a lot of controversial issues, perhaps I'm too much of a stickler for rules. It's still against the law. No matter how good their pieces are, I wouldn't want to turn up one day and find somebody spray-painted a turnip being floated away by a balloon on my wall.

That said, given the financial issues surrounding my family, I would be very hypocritical in wanting to sell it for money. This way I get to pay off bills, and have that turnip removed from my sight.

What are your thoughts on Banksy?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Banksy and graffiti - March 11th 2021, 07:49 PM

I'm kind of split on Banksy too for the same reasons. I can appreciate that his pieces often have some sort of political message behind them, and that he's definitely very talented, but you're completely right! It's still technically vandilism. So where is the line between art and crime?

But I know that in Southbank in London there is also a huge area of graffiti which is covered in graffiti, like this.

I agree that I'd totally want to sell it for money if I could though!

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,134, Level: 42 Points: 88,134, Level: 42 Points: 88,134, Level: 42

Re: Banksy and graffiti - March 12th 2021, 08:30 AM

Graffiti where I live is also frowned upon and is often painted over. Some of the graffiti is quite ugly. However, I don't mind Banksy's art. I like some of his work.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Banksy and graffiti - March 12th 2021, 11:10 AM

I had to look Banksy up on Wikipedia because I've never heard of them. I don't follow street artists, but it seems like this person has been around since the 1990s across different cities in the UK and I guess in other cities too.

I hate street art, it's vandalism of public property. But, I did see some pictures of Banksy's artwork and some of them are actually decent; but still, it's vandalism. I don't understand why they can't do it on paper or elsewhere.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Sprite-1 Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Name: Tommy

Points: 3,066, Level: 8 Points: 3,066, Level: 8 Points: 3,066, Level: 8

Re: Banksy and graffiti - March 14th 2021, 04:29 PM

Very few Banksy designs have been eradicated because they are popular in towns and cities across the world, whereas general graffiti, especially that which contain offensive words and/or lewd imagery are quickly removed.

It costs town councils money to remove. Often for the graffiti offenders to repeat their work unless anti-graffiti paint is used. But that stuff is expensive. Also, it would be unsuitable for some buildings or artistic structures. However, anti-graffiti paint contains certain chemicals that prevent spray paint from adhering and is very effective.

While I abhor graffiti because it's unsightly and often offensive, I like Banky's which some affectionados might call 'street art'. Often it conveys a political message of some sort. Whatever, it causes people to think.
Closed Thread