TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kamen Rider Gai Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,538, Level: 9 Points: 4,538, Level: 9 Points: 4,538, Level: 9

College students/freshman, in television shows set in highschool, do you still find a way to relate to the series? - February 21st 2016, 11:18 AM

Well not through the past, I mean in the present day would you still be able to relate with the series?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Points: 19,789, Level: 20 Points: 19,789, Level: 20 Points: 19,789, Level: 20

Re: College students/freshman, in television shows set in highschool, do you still find a way to relate to the series? - February 21st 2016, 02:06 PM

I'm a college student and I watch some TV shows set in a high school setting. Personally, I can somewhat relate to it because high school doesn't really feel like too much of a long time ago(only 2 years back). But I'm sure once I start to get older, I'm probably not going to want to watch TV shows set in a high school setting since I tend to watch them less nowadays and prefer mature content.

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: College students/freshman, in television shows set in highschool, do you still find a way to relate to the series? - February 22nd 2016, 01:18 AM

I've been out of high school for ages and still love those TV shows.

For one, I find that these "teenagers" don't have real teenager problems. Take a show like Gossip Girl for example (which I've recently been rewatching) - Chuck buys or manages or does something a strip club that his dad technically bought when he's 17 years old and his dad is all like "yo, you should take more respionsibility at your strip club". No, just NO, he's 17 and should be worried about writing his SAT's or his chemistry final NOT worrying about managing a strip club. So much of the stuff that happens is "adult" stuff, so that keeps one element relatable. There are a TON of shows like this where the characters (and I mean most of them, not 1 or 2 of them) actually act like they're in their 20's. Plus, most of the actors are 25 and claim to be 16-17. It's not as dramatic for women, but a 25 year old man is WAY older than a 16 year old man (eg. more physically bulky, more facial hair, face is older) cause men finish maturing so much later than women.

Plus, a lot of these teeny shows have a nostalgic feel to them. Like they're still enjoyable, even when the kids do still act like normal kids.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
I can't get enough

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28

Re: College students/freshman, in television shows set in highschool, do you still find a way to relate to the series? - February 24th 2016, 02:09 PM

I relate to them more than shows about adults, probably because I still feel like a kid lol. Although I've technically grown up, I really don't feel like I have and although I'm three years out of school I still feel like it was only yesterday.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount18

Edit avatar

Re: College students/freshman, in television shows set in highschool, do you still find a way to relate to the series? - February 26th 2016, 03:51 PM

I've been out of high school for ten years, and I don't watch TV programs featuring characters in high school. I just can't relate to them at all, seeing as I'm 31 and they're in their teens. It's a bit odd if I did, in my opinion.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22

Re: College students/freshman, in television shows set in highschool, do you still find a way to relate to the series? - February 26th 2016, 04:36 PM

I recently graduated college and I still watched shows set in high school while in college. It's true that I couldn't relate to them and I definitely lost interest in high school shows like Degrassi. I stuck with shows like Pretty Little Liars because the show wasn't realistic. I watch the 100 because even though most of them are high school age, it's such a different setting. I don't think going to college means you need to stop watching things set in high school but as you get older you'll likely start losing interest.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Jupiter Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,370, Level: 9 Points: 4,370, Level: 9 Points: 4,370, Level: 9

Re: College students/freshman, in television shows set in highschool, do you still find a way to relate to the series? - March 5th 2016, 08:41 AM

I've been out of high school for quite some time now and I can't relate to TV shows with high school settings anymore (90210, Gossip Girl, Degrassi, Melrose Place, etc.). They just seem... like a whole other era in my life. One that I'd like to not look back on xD.

More unrealistic TV shows are different like the 100.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: College students/freshman, in television shows set in highschool, do you still find a way to relate to the series? - March 6th 2016, 08:04 AM

It depends on the show and how well done it is.

I've watched episodes of switched at birth and liked it. I've watched re-runs of degrassi and some of the newer episodes and liked it. But, then there have been shows I couldn't get into.

But, in general I don't watch a lot of shows that feature teens as the main cast. But, I never really have. When I was in junior high I used to watch degrassi and when I was in high school I watched one tree hill but those eventually bored me and I went back to my favorite adult shows.
Closed Thread