TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Tattoos and Piercings This forum is to ask questions and discuss tattoos, piercings and other aesthetic body modifications.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Goodbye_Lullaby Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ciara

Points: 9,911, Level: 14 Points: 9,911, Level: 14 Points: 9,911, Level: 14

Angry Mum won't let me get a tattoo -_-' - August 27th 2012, 04:47 PM

Ok, at the moment I'm too young to have a tattoo legally I think. But when I'm old enough I want one. But my mum ain't having it. I want a small star on my wrist (at the side or at the side of my hand) or near my elbow. (the bit where it bends on the inside) how do I convince her. I mean she is sayin I will regret it, but I won't! I really want it and by the time im old enough I should know shouldn't I? How do I convince her!?

GoodbyeLullaby

I wanna be alive well don't you? There's no use in feeling low.
7th March 2013 Met my Heroes Tonight Alive <3
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
shebby Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Shelby

Points: 7,666, Level: 12 Points: 7,666, Level: 12 Points: 7,666, Level: 12

Re: Mum won't let me get a tattoo -_-' - August 27th 2012, 05:11 PM

People should never regret a tattoo. To me, they're memories. Or symbols of who you are(or were). Even if a tattoo means nothing to the person anymore, it did at one point. Just try telling her its your way of expressing yourself and who you are at this point in time.

She was like the moon; part of her was always hidden.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20

Re: Mum won't let me get a tattoo -_-' - August 27th 2012, 09:03 PM

The simple fact is that when you're old enough to get it you don't need her permission so why does it matter?

And while I do agree with the poster above, while nobody should regret getting a tattoo, a lot of people regret what their tattoo is or where on their body it is. You need to think about that as it can limit what jobs you can have or what you can wear at work.

Member since 2005
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Doodle. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Ceilidh
Pronouns: Any/All

Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49

Re: Mum won't let me get a tattoo -_-' - August 27th 2012, 09:23 PM

When you're old enough you can legally have a tattoo without her consent. My parents don't like the idea of tattoos but my sister had one when she was 19 without telling them. They didn't even notice for a few months :')

Just remember, it is there for life, make sure it'll be something you'd want forever.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I've been here a while

Name: Cheye

Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24

Re: Mum won't let me get a tattoo -_-' - August 28th 2012, 12:08 AM

You are only 13, and even if you can get one at say 16 with parental permission, it's up to your mum. I know it can be hard to wait, but honestly, you should think months if not years on the tattoo you want, I've known what tattoo I wanted since I was your age, or just a little older, I still don't have that tattoo, and I'm glad because I've changed where I want it at, and even thought about perhaps not getting it, the fact is, we can think )that something is what we want and where we'll want it forever but when you get older and start looking for a job, you may realize it was best to wait if you did and maybe get it somewhere else.

Just drop it for now, she knows you want this tattoo, you've made it clear. If you can get one before you're 18 with parent permission, then bring it back up when you're old enough or almost old enough (like a couple months before your birthday) and then remind her about you asking when you were thirteen and how many years you've thought on it and still want it. That will show her you're serious about it, if you still want it years from now when you can legally get it. But chances are, most reputable places won't tattoo anyone until they are 18, and then you won't need permission from anyone except yourself.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Points: 11,157, Level: 15 Points: 11,157, Level: 15 Points: 11,157, Level: 15

Re: Mum won't let me get a tattoo -_-' - August 28th 2012, 02:31 AM

When I told my mom years ago that I was getting a half sleep among many other tattoos.. She wasn't too happy about it. But once I turned 18, she straight out told me that it's my decision, and that I'm old enough.

But I guess it still made her disappointed/uncomfortable.. so I told her that I'd make sure to get them in places that could easily be covered for work. AKA I don't mind wearing a button down, cardigan or sweater for the rest of my working life. I'm working on a half sleeve, I have two on each side of my collarbone, one on my back.. etc.. I have 16 ear piercings and my tongue done (which I use a retainer for when I work).. and honestly, it's really your decision. You don't want to get something that you might regret, especially placement. So think about what you might want to do in the future, and decide if the placement you want is going to be a fit.

Otherwise, once you're of age, it's not really up to your mom.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

Closed Thread