TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Tattoos and Piercings This forum is to ask questions and discuss tattoos, piercings and other aesthetic body modifications.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Points: 60,921, Level: 35 Points: 60,921, Level: 35 Points: 60,921, Level: 35

Tattoo Information - October 20th 2013, 09:22 PM

Hi everyone!

There is a chance that I'm finally going to get the tattoo I've wanted for ages on Saturday (26th) when I'm out in Glasgow.
My issue is that I'm so terrified of needles I'm already panicking just thinking about the idea.
I'm going with someone who's said they're planning to get one anyway so I can go along, see how it's done and what happens, and then make a decision on the spot to save worrying about it all week.

My issue is this: The two places I'm considering getting it are two of the more painful places to get a tattoo. (At least, someone working in a parlour told me that)
It's a toss up between my wrist or my kind of chesty/heart area (it's really sentimental for more reasons than one, and that is also somewhere easily covered for work and such) so which would you suggest?

Also, I've heard that it gets quite itchy for a few days afterwards so what's the best way to combat that? I already have SudoCreme and moisturiser, is there anything else I might need?
Any information is appreciated! I might be making a snap decision depending on how things go, but I do want to be informed and know what I'm doing.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Charlie

Points: 41,800, Level: 29 Points: 41,800, Level: 29 Points: 41,800, Level: 29

Re: Tattoo Information - October 20th 2013, 10:37 PM

I've had two tattoos done on my wrists and I wouldn't say either of them hurt that bad although as one was two hours long, it obviously started to get sore after a while but if you want to cover it up and it has sentimental reasons, I'd think your chest was the best option but I can't say about the pain for that. As for the itching while it heals, it is annoying because it can scab over so you can't itch it because you'll take the scabs off, I'd say just patting it in hopes that'll help stop the itching and I was told to use bepanthen cream, I don't know if you could use sudocream so it could be worth checking with the tattoo artist what creams are best.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Tattoo Information - October 21st 2013, 08:57 PM

My forearm tattoo creeps onto my wrist a bit and it wasn't that painful to get done.
As for itching, it's important that you keep the area well moisturized until the scabs have all fallen off. That will help the itching a bit, but sadly it's something you just have to deal with during healing.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
hopefuldreamer Offline
lost in wonderland
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Tonya

Points: 11,294, Level: 15 Points: 11,294, Level: 15 Points: 11,294, Level: 15

Re: Tattoo Information - October 21st 2013, 09:48 PM

I have three tattoos and I hate needles lol. They didn't hurt and also put A&D ointment on it you can find it at a drug store near baby stuff.

Buddy since 11/17/12 Live Help Operator since 1/27/13 HelpLINK Mentor since 6/30/13
Email: tgentry7712@gmail.com send me an email if you want to.

Tumblr ecaepevolhgualevil
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Points: 30,771, Level: 25 Points: 30,771, Level: 25 Points: 30,771, Level: 25

Re: Tattoo Information - October 21st 2013, 09:54 PM

I hate needles and have a tattoo on my wrist! You don't really see needles, its more like a huge pen. Plus the pain wasn't that bad, felt like someone was scratching my wrist. My tattooist kept talking to me all the way through it so it was good to have some distraction.
It did itch like crazy for a few days, but managed not to scratch it. Used bepanthen on it for a while and it healed nicely!
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Muse

Points: 19,765, Level: 20 Points: 19,765, Level: 20 Points: 19,765, Level: 20

Re: Tattoo Information - October 22nd 2013, 01:19 AM

Bepanthen is definitely the way forward and my wrist tattoo didn't really hurt much either. If you are really worried about the pain then talk to the tattooist, for my back tattoo my tattooist put anaesthetic cream on before doing the painful parts and it really helped, so they may be able to offer you something similar. Also, for aftercare, the salons sometimes have special tattoo gel that you can buy, I really recommend it as it is designed for new tatts and will really help out the healing process. As for the itchiness afterwards...whatever you do, do not scratch!! Pat it and make sure it doesn't dry out, and that is all you can do really.

Finally, good luck!! xxx

"Friends are like stars; you don't always see them but you know they are always there"

"It gives me hope. I love you so much. You give me a reason to breathe. Its something for me to not kill myself for" >>> means so much :')

Paramore! <3
Pm me anytime, I like to help!
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
SilentBunny Offline
Formally Sn0man
Regular TeenHelper

Name: jake

Points: 15,637, Level: 18 Points: 15,637, Level: 18 Points: 15,637, Level: 18

Re: Tattoo Information - October 22nd 2013, 04:19 AM

Ive gotten my chest done, its not pleasant. Go for the wrist, its a better spot

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22

Re: Tattoo Information - October 23rd 2013, 01:03 PM

I got my foot done. It did itch like a bitch for a few days in the second week but I just slapped it or took Benedryl and it helped.

You should definitely talk to the artist first. Every artist seems to have slightly varying aftercare suggestions. And if you don't click with that artist is try talkin to a different one until you find someone you really like. I didn't like the first one I went to, he was good but not for me. The second artist I talked to I absolutely loved and I don't regret waiting.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Tattoo Information - October 23rd 2013, 04:59 PM

I am afraid of needles and hate them but I have three tattoos and two piercings. The tattoos are not that bad you don't even see the needles at all. I got my wrist done but it's a small one and it didn't hurt at all really it only hurt when they went over a vein. My forearm hurt a lot more than my wrist but it was also a bigger tattoo. Then I got my foot done and that hurt the worst and I got told the foot is one of the most painful places. Also they guy told my grandma that he would tattoo her on the side of her wrist and that hurts less then most. so I'm not sure if the wrist really does hurt or if they just told you that because my guy has been doing it for years.

Also my foot itched after I got it done but if you put the stuff on it like your supposed to it should stop it.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
carolmathew Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,063, Level: 11 Points: 6,063, Level: 11 Points: 6,063, Level: 11

Re: Tattoo Information - October 25th 2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical Forest. View Post
I hate needles and have a tattoo on my wrist! You don't really see needles, its more like a huge pen. Plus the pain wasn't that bad, felt like someone was scratching my wrist. My tattooist kept talking to me all the way through it so it was good to have some distraction.
It did itch like crazy for a few days, but managed not to scratch it. Used bepanthen on it for a while and it healed nicely!
Thank you for sharing this. I am going to get the tattoo done tomorrow. I was scared of getting it done.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20

Re: Tattoo Information - October 25th 2013, 12:36 PM

Like some other users have already said the wrist doesn't hurt a lot, it felt like getting scratched by a cat repeatedly. I've heard the chest can be quite uncomfortable though as it's right on the bone.

I personally didn't have a problem with it being itchy after so I haven't got any advice on that matter.

Member since 2005
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Points: 60,921, Level: 35 Points: 60,921, Level: 35 Points: 60,921, Level: 35

Re: Tattoo Information - October 25th 2013, 03:15 PM

Thanks for all the advice!
I'm not sure 100% if it will happen tomorrow but I've decided I definitely want to do it since all your non-scary stories have been really reassuring. I'm thinking of getting a sweatband or something to put over it (definitely decided on my wrist on account of it being less painful!) so I don't scratch in my sleep. I'm excited now!!

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Points: 30,771, Level: 25 Points: 30,771, Level: 25 Points: 30,771, Level: 25

Re: Tattoo Information - October 25th 2013, 06:52 PM

Don't put anything over it for a little bit, I was told to cover it with cling film for a few days, nothing else!
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20

Re: Tattoo Information - October 25th 2013, 11:04 PM

When I got my tattoo they covered it with a bandage wrap and told me to leave it on for a few days then to leave it uncovered so it breathes. So I don't think the sweatband is a good idea

Member since 2005
Closed Thread