TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Tattoos and Piercings This forum is to ask questions and discuss tattoos, piercings and other aesthetic body modifications.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BabyGirl767 Offline
Meow! Woof Woof! Moooo! Baaaa!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Points: 14,343, Level: 17 Points: 14,343, Level: 17 Points: 14,343, Level: 17

Getting my first tattoo - October 25th 2009, 03:17 PM

sometime soon, its going to be Philippians 2:15 just that not the entire verse, and later i'll be adding a nautical star because the verse in my Bible is "then you will be innocent and without any wrong you will be God's children without fault. but you are livin with crooked nd mean people all around you among whom you will shine like stars". a good friend of mine brough Christ into my life and without him i wouldnt have been saved, so i'll be getting philippians 2:15 in his handwriting, but i want to do a temporary tattoo first to make sure i'm happy with it and absolutly certain i want it, and its going on my back on my shoulder, i need some advice on what to do before getting the real tattoo, what to look for in the right tattoo shop, what does it feel like all that stuff, so i could use all the advice you can give, i"d really appreciate it, thanks
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Points: 17,836, Level: 19 Points: 17,836, Level: 19 Points: 17,836, Level: 19

Re: Getting my first tattoo - October 25th 2009, 04:22 PM

Getting your first tattoo is a lot of fun. I'm glad that your tattoo has meaning, and you aren't getting something just because 'it's pretty'. I think the idea of getting it temporary is a great idea, just to make sure you like it.

I think that you should check around. Talk to the person who would be doing it. Check for prices, and remember, higher isn't always better. Ask about cleanliness, and look around. If the place is dirty, and you get a bad feeling about it, don't do it there. You want to be comfortable.

That is a lot of writing, so it will have to be small. You should bring your friend along to make sure you get his handwriting right. The tattoo artist shouldn't have a problem with this.

Make sure you also have money to buy location and that you will be able to take of it. It might hurt for a couple of days or even a few weeks, so make sure that you are going to be comfortable.
Have fun!
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
BabyGirl767 Offline
Meow! Woof Woof! Moooo! Baaaa!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Points: 14,343, Level: 17 Points: 14,343, Level: 17 Points: 14,343, Level: 17

Re: Getting my first tattoo - October 25th 2009, 07:42 PM

i'm no doing the entire verse i'm only doing "Philippians 2:15" but thank you for the advice
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
ballet1babe Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Dana

Points: 9,664, Level: 14 Points: 9,664, Level: 14 Points: 9,664, Level: 14

Re: Getting my first tattoo - October 25th 2009, 11:32 PM

Hey. I just got my second tattoo yesterday. Its an awesome experience!! But make sure they use NEW NEEDLES!! Not just sterilized ones, NEW!!! Make sure the place is clean, make sure you like the tattoo artist (this sound weird but its important), have them draw what you want ahead of time (you may have to put a deposit on it for them to do this so make sure its the right place for you). Make sure you feel comfortable. My tattoo artist is an amazing guy and he does great work. Hope this helps!!
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Fishie Offline
Time of My Life
Average Joe

Name: April

Points: 10,315, Level: 14 Points: 10,315, Level: 14 Points: 10,315, Level: 14

Re: Getting my first tattoo - October 26th 2009, 09:37 PM

How exciting!!! I remember how excited I was when I started out looking into shops for my first tattoo. Make sure you stop in and check out at least two tattoo parlors that way you get a feel for different shops and which atmosphere you like better. While visiting the shop make it a point to look around most of the shop, make sure it's clean, well lit, and a place you feel comfortable in. Ask the artists some questions and tell them your idea and where you want it. They should talk to you and even draw it up that day if not busy. Once you find a shop you like set up an appointment if necessary and find what date and time work best for you. After you are in the shop and have found the artist you want (always ask to look at portfolios) make sure to ask if they use an auto-clave (it sterilizes needles) and ask if they test it regularly. This is a sanitary question as is asking if the needles they use are Brand New. After all that is set up and you are sitting on pins and needles for the appointment date to roll around buy yourself some non scented dye free lotion like Lubriderm or Eucercin, this is to use for after care. If the place tells you to use neosporin, do not listen as it will clog your pores and your tattoo will not heal right.The day of your tattoo you will be nervous, excited, and full of adrenaline. Be sure to eat a big meal and to eat a banana or something to keep your potassium levels up. Bring a regular pop/soda with you and some hard candy just in case you feel faint and get low blood sugar during the session. The artist most likely will talk to you and take you through step by step of the process but I'll tell you anyways. The artist will clean your shoulder area with some soap that is wet and cold. Then your artist will shave the area to make sure no hair gets in the way, you will be wiped down again with cold liquid. Then the stencil will be placed on your skin. At this point the artsit should ask you to take a look in the mirror to see if you are happy with the placement, if you are not do not be afraid to tell them to move it. Once you are all set up the artist will pour ink into ink caps and start up the "gun" (tattoo machine) to ensure it is working properly. Then youll get something like vasaline rubbed over the stencil. This helps it to stay on the skin and glides the needle in easier. The artist will let you know when s/he is about to start. This is very crucial at this point DO NOT move and MAKE SURE to breathe. It will be loud/noisy but the pain is not unbearable. The artist will start with a small line and see how you are doing. If at any point you need a break let your tattooist know and they will stop for you. Good luck and If you have any questions at all please let us know. That is a smart idea to get a temporary tattoo first to see if you like it. Best of luck!!!
Closed Thread