TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Tattoos and Piercings This forum is to ask questions and discuss tattoos, piercings and other aesthetic body modifications.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
WhySoSerious? Offline
Mute Poet
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Vicki

Points: 13,107, Level: 16 Points: 13,107, Level: 16 Points: 13,107, Level: 16

Tattoo on scar tissue? - February 22nd 2009, 11:18 PM

I hope there's not already a thread like this, but I did search and didn't find anything.... anyways, I want to know if you can get a tattoo over scar tissue? I kind of want to get something on my wrist where I used to cut. I've heard of it being done before, but some people seem to disagree with me...

~Where death is I am not, where I am death is not, so we never meet~

I'd rather die terrified

than live forever.
We will all die so gloriously, that having ever lived will seem like folly.
-Asofterworld

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I've been here a while

Name: Brittney

Points: 21,441, Level: 21 Points: 21,441, Level: 21 Points: 21,441, Level: 21

Re: Tattoo on scar tissue? - February 22nd 2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Yes, scars can be covered but it is a difficult and tedious process. Also, if the scar is raised there will be an indistinct area in the tattoo (where the scar is) that will be raised. Below is what is involved in covering a scar.

1. It is time consuming. Depending on the individual's skin or scar texture, a single line may require two or more passes with the needle before it takes.

2. It can be, and often is, more painful than the average tattoo. Scar tissue is very sensitive since the nerve endings are closer to the "new skin" (unless the nerve ends were destoyed when the damage occured).

3. Once set within the scar or graft tissue, black will stay. However, color will bleed or fade from the skin. There is always a slight possibility that the black may blot or run beneath the tissue, but if a very fine line is used this problem can be virtually eliminated.

4. I often recommend to my clients who wish to have their scar or graft tissue tattooed that they get a very small tattoo within the area first, as a test to determine if their skin will accept the pigment. Then, if all is well, the small tattoo can be covered or incorporated when the major artwork is applied.

5. Last, but certainly not least, it is very important that the scar and/or graft tissue be at least one year old before tattooing is attempted (the older the scar, the better). Destroyed tissue takes a long time to heal, so the older the scar, the better it will take the pigment.
Source: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Tattoos-3...o-Scarring.htm

I hope that helps! :]

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

(#3 (permalink)) Old
stark Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 9,712, Level: 14 Points: 9,712, Level: 14 Points: 9,712, Level: 14

Re: Tattoo on scar tissue? - February 22nd 2009, 11:25 PM

most tattoo artists will recommend against it. scar tissue does not take ink like the rest of your skin, so there will probably be distortion or discoloration. This is especially if the scar is raised.
Closed Thread