TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Tattoos and Piercings This forum is to ask questions and discuss tattoos, piercings and other aesthetic body modifications.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I've been here a while

Name: Cheye

Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24

Getting my first tattoo soon! - November 16th 2011, 01:49 AM

Yep, most likely this month or next month. I am sooooooo excited! My mom is paying for us to both get one at the same time, it's pretty awesome in my opinion. But I am super excited, it's going to be on my left wrist, and it's "I survived" in Japanese with celtic butterfly wings on either side and the characters going down so it's like a butterfly's body. And my mom is getting http://www.tattoodonkey.com/pics/d/r...donkey.com.jpg that but with them holding a banner in their talons with her mother and father's names and their birth and death dates. I'm just getting mine done in black ink, I think she's getting the dragon's coloured though, this'll be her second tattoo and my first. Not many 15 year olds can say they have or are getting a tattoo.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
thefirstlady Offline
Average Joe

Name: Morgan

Points: 9,423, Level: 14 Points: 9,423, Level: 14 Points: 9,423, Level: 14

Re: Getting my first tattoo soon! - November 16th 2011, 04:40 AM

Not trying to be rude, but there's a reason most 15 year olds don't have tattoos. Most tattoo artists won't tattoo anyone that young even if it is legal in that state because what sounds good at 15, won't when you're older. A fellow tattoo artist at my shop and I were actually talking about this earlier today when he was telling me what he wanted when he was that age. He's glad he didn't do it.

As for getting kanji, make 100% sure it's the correct translation. I can't tell you how many times people come in with stories of their kanji being wrong and it can't be fixed. Just make sure it's 100% what you want and that it's correct from a good source. Again, not trying to be rude, just trying to be helpful...I'm a tattoo apprentice at a shop and I've been in the industry for a while and I see the kanji issues a lot.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Crimsonkin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Points: 11,104, Level: 15 Points: 11,104, Level: 15 Points: 11,104, Level: 15

Re: Getting my first tattoo soon! - November 16th 2011, 05:24 AM

I agree with Morgan! Just be sure that that is what you want. I would rethink the wrist idea only because its not something you can hide when looking for a job.

In the end the placement really is not as important as the design itself. Seems like it has some pretty clear meaning to it so if its what you want go for it!

Things do get better in time.
I used to believe that things would never get better.
But after many long years things are looking up!
So don't ever give up!
Stay strong and move on!
Things WILL get better!

Make my day let me help you. PM me anytime

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 37,460, Level: 27 Points: 37,460, Level: 27 Points: 37,460, Level: 27

Re: Getting my first tattoo soon! - November 16th 2011, 12:32 PM

As stated above, wrist tattoos are very hard to hide for a job that requires them to be hidden BUT it can be done with jewelry, makeup, and long sleeved shirts. Obviously the tattoo means A LOT to you. I like the concept behind it and if it's really what you want to do, go for it. Just make sure it says the right thing. I'm happy for you!
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Points: 27,365, Level: 23 Points: 27,365, Level: 23 Points: 27,365, Level: 23

Re: Getting my first tattoo soon! - November 16th 2011, 02:22 PM

I think it's pretty cool that you're getting something done with your mom. Some tattoos are stupid, a silly star or something ridiculous, but this means a lot to you and has meaning behind it. For that reason I don't think you'll regret it any time soon

I got my first tattoo a few months ago, my mom still doesn't know. Probably for the best since it's a pentagram! Anyway, the best advice I can give is to try your hardest to sit still. It was really hard for me since it was on my hip and I had to hold my breath while he was doing it, but wrist shouldn't be TOO hard to hold still.... I hope. I want one on mine too ._.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jas Offline
aka Xamed
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 12,438, Level: 16 Points: 12,438, Level: 16 Points: 12,438, Level: 16

Re: Getting my first tattoo soon! - November 16th 2011, 11:29 PM

Again, I don't want to be rude but I do want to underscore everything that thefirstlady said. I can't imagine still liking something I would have wanted tattooed at 15... and I know for a fact that even with permission no one at the tattoo studio I go to would tattoo someone your age.

Please think about your decision. I'm mainly concerned because when you say "Not many 15 year olds can say they have or are getting a tattoo." it sounds as if you're thinking about the status it'll afford you or that it will make you 'special' in some way and I think that's a bad place to get a tattoo in at any age.

This will be with you for life... if you still want it in a few years, the idea won't have lost any of its depth..
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I've been here a while

Re: Getting my first tattoo soon! - November 17th 2011, 12:06 AM

There's a shop here who will do it with parental consent, and I have checked many sources and they all match up the characters. And I appreciate you all putting in your input but to those who think I should wait or get it somewhere else, sorry but no. In the end it is my decision as so many of you have pointed out, I have thought about all of this for years as have my parents. My parents are more strict than most, but obviously not overly strict on some things like this. And I put the whole not many 15 year olds can say it as another upside, it is in no way a contributing factor to getting it done. If it helps, just ignore that sentence is there, because in all honesty if I were 30 or 15 I would be happy to get it, that being said, I'm getting it at 15 now, and that's not going to change.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Crimsonkin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Points: 11,104, Level: 15 Points: 11,104, Level: 15 Points: 11,104, Level: 15

Re: Getting my first tattoo soon! - November 17th 2011, 02:48 AM

Hey if its what you want to do no one is going to change your mind! I respect your choice. You have obviously thought this through and it really has deep meaning for you. So rock on and post pics when its done!

Things do get better in time.
I used to believe that things would never get better.
But after many long years things are looking up!
So don't ever give up!
Stay strong and move on!
Things WILL get better!

Make my day let me help you. PM me anytime

(#9 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Getting my first tattoo soon! - November 17th 2011, 05:02 PM

I respect Cheye's choice too. Like I said, what she is getting is meaningful, not something silly. I don't think she'll regret it any time soon. There are some 15 year olds that shouldn't get tattoos, and some that I know and trust to be mature beyond their years. These 15 year olds aren't too much different than 18 year olds, and I have tattoos. (well, one for now )
It used to be that getting tattoos at such a young age of 18 or 21 was frowned upon. Hell, it used to be that getting a tattoo at all was frowned upon! lol

And to be completely honest, with all the people getting tattooed these days, I wouldn't be surprised if tattoo removal becomes much, much more easy, cost friendly, and common.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Getting my first tattoo soon! - November 17th 2011, 08:50 PM

It's not like she's getting a cartoon character on her forehead. She's getting something that means so much to her on her wrist. She's most likely not going to regret it seeing as it's something that's always going to be a reminder that she did survive and she is still surviving.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
leavemealone Offline
I Still Miss You <3
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raewyn

Points: 10,040, Level: 14 Points: 10,040, Level: 14 Points: 10,040, Level: 14

Re: Getting my first tattoo soon! - November 17th 2011, 08:55 PM

Oh my GOSH that is beautiful! I mean, I probably wouldn't get a dragon for myself, but it still look SUPER AWESOME!!! If I ever get a tattoo its gonna be something sentimental to me or with my cousin because she likes tattoos

Exert your talents, and distinguish yourself, and don't think of retiring from the world, until the world will be sorry that you retire

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I've been here a while

Re: Getting my first tattoo soon! - November 17th 2011, 10:44 PM

Aww thanks guys And I promise when I get it done I'll post pics

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Getting my first tattoo soon! - November 17th 2011, 11:49 PM

I can't wait to see pics!
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
erewr Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,549, Level: 12 Points: 7,549, Level: 12 Points: 7,549, Level: 12

Re: Getting my first tattoo soon! - November 29th 2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gir View Post
I think it's pretty cool that you're getting something done with your mom. Some tattoos are stupid, a silly star or something ridiculous, but this means a lot to you and has meaning behind it. For that reason I don't think you'll regret it any time soon

I got my first tattoo a few months ago, my mom still doesn't know. Probably for the best since it's a pentagram! Anyway, the best advice I can give is to try your hardest to sit still. It was really hard for me since it was on my hip and I had to hold my breath while he was doing it, but wrist shouldn't be TOO hard to hold still.... I hope. I want one on mine too ._.
Tattoo done well in the hip, it is bad for your health.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Points: 34,967, Level: 26 Points: 34,967, Level: 26 Points: 34,967, Level: 26

Re: Getting my first tattoo soon! - November 29th 2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erewr View Post
How are tattoos on the hip bad for your health? I have two, had them for years.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Getting my first tattoo soon! - November 29th 2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Is this really the place for that? It has nothing to do with OP. If you want to talk to me about my own choices with some made up fact that tattoos are bad for your health, do it in PM. Don't clog up and bump the OPs thread around.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
thefirstlady Offline
Average Joe

Name: Morgan

Points: 9,423, Level: 14 Points: 9,423, Level: 14 Points: 9,423, Level: 14

Re: Getting my first tattoo soon! - December 1st 2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Not true. Tattoos aren't bad for your health if done correctly. Issues: Some people may have allergic reactions to red ink; UV ink is bad for you in general; if you go to someone's basement/garage/house/unclean environment it's a bad sign and common sense should tell you it's a bad idea; if you don't treat it as an open wound and keep it clean you will get an infection this is not the tattooists fault unless they weren't using sterile equipment.

The only issue with tattoos on the hip is if your weight fluctuates/future kids (if a girl)/etc it will possibly stretch/distort the tattoo in the future.

If you have any more things to say about tattoos, want to know the real facts, etc, feel free to PM me. I'm a tattoo artist and would be happy to address anything concerning tattoos there outside of the thread.
Closed Thread