TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Good Days! Great days are always worth celebrating, so share your good times with us here!

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alyssa
Pronouns: She / her

Points: 520, Level: 3 Points: 520, Level: 3 Points: 520, Level: 3

Cool Better writing - February 4th 2024, 09:00 AM

When I was younger I used to have this habit of writing using ... a lot, and I didnt use punctuation very much. Thats just how I used to write.
I got my first job about a year ago. I had to email my line manager one day to say I was sick so couldnt come in, and she answered me to tell me I needed to work on my writing because it was "unprofessional"
I felt really bad about that for a while. I felt ashamed and angry but didnt feel I could say anything about it because she was my boss.
Then I started this counselling course. Last Wednesday was week 4 and our tutor talked for a while about feedback. Then we had to get into groups and talk about how we felt about feedback. I talked about when I was told my way of writing was unprofessional, and the two people I was talking with pointed out to me that even though it hurt to be told that, it was important to know and it was a good thing that I chose to use the feedback and be better.
Since then Ive thought about how I feel about my manager. I havent liked her for a while because she told me that but actually, I think Ill be all right with her.
Just wanted to share that bit of growth!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,635, Level: 59 Points: 172,635, Level: 59 Points: 172,635, Level: 59

Re: Better writing - February 4th 2024, 02:28 PM

I'm super glad that you think you'll be all right with your manager! It sounds like your classmates helped put things in perspective for you. If you want to improve your writing, maybe you can see if your school has a tutoring center or something similar where you can get some help proofreading your professional essays for class, which can give you some practice that will help you at work too.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Better writing - February 4th 2024, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennui. View Post
I'm super glad that you think you'll be all right with your manager! It sounds like your classmates helped put things in perspective for you. If you want to improve your writing, maybe you can see if your school has a tutoring center or something similar where you can get some help proofreading your professional essays for class, which can give you some practice that will help you at work too.

Getting feedbacks a good idea! Im not in school any more and I dont know if my college will do that but I can check. Aside from that, I have a few friends who might help. Ill check it out.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 109,323, Level: 47 Points: 109,323, Level: 47 Points: 109,323, Level: 47

Re: Better writing - February 5th 2024, 08:07 PM

This sounds great. Whenever we are writing about anything it can be a lot of fun because you can think about so many things and put this together. It is always a good idea to ask questions when you need help with anything because others can help you out with this and you can get better. I wish you the best with this.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Butterscotch. Offline
rising like a skyscraper 💜
Junior TeenHelper

Pronouns: she/her, they/them

Points: 1,821, Level: 6 Points: 1,821, Level: 6 Points: 1,821, Level: 6

Re: Better writing - February 5th 2024, 08:26 PM

I've been writing for as long as I can remember! I wrote my first story when I was in the third grade and my writing has come such a long way since then. What really helped me understand the way sentences were structured and punctuation were used was to do a lot of reading. I continue to do this today. If I'm uncertain about something, it's off to Google I go!

I'm glad you were able to get constructive feedback from your classmates. Perhaps you can form a study group with them so you can work on your writing skills? Just because you're no longer in secondary school certainly does not mean you can't take classes in English and writing! These are offered at universities — at least, they are in the United States! — so maybe that's something to check out.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Better writing - February 6th 2024, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterscotch. View Post
I've been writing for as long as I can remember! I wrote my first story when I was in the third grade and my writing has come such a long way since then. What really helped me understand the way sentences were structured and punctuation were used was to do a lot of reading. I continue to do this today. If I'm uncertain about something, it's off to Google I go!

I'm glad you were able to get constructive feedback from your classmates. Perhaps you can form a study group with them so you can work on your writing skills? Just because you're no longer in secondary school certainly does not mean you can't take classes in English and writing! These are offered at universities — at least, they are in the United States! — so maybe that's something to check out.

Thanks, Ill give that a try!
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,851, Level: 42 Points: 88,851, Level: 42 Points: 88,851, Level: 42

Re: Better writing - February 10th 2024, 08:38 AM

Sometimes it can be hard getting feedback but it is best at times when we do because it can help us in the long run.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Better writing - February 10th 2024, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn. View Post
Sometimes it can be hard getting feedback but it is best at times when we do because it can help us in the long run.

Yeah - and on my course we did a bit of training about feedback and how to give and receive it, and there was a bit about making sure we hear both the positives and the negatives of what people tell us. Later I thought about the bad news sandwich people sometimes do, where they start and finish up with good news to make it easier to accept, and that my manager just didn't do the two good news bits. It didnt feel great but it wasnt her fault, and Im glad I took the time to think about it so I could actually accept what she was telling me. Otherwise Id have had to have got that feedback again in the future, right?
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,851, Level: 42 Points: 88,851, Level: 42 Points: 88,851, Level: 42

Re: Better writing - February 11th 2024, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by This_is_the_greatest_plan View Post
Yeah - and on my course we did a bit of training about feedback and how to give and receive it, and there was a bit about making sure we hear both the positives and the negatives of what people tell us. Later I thought about the bad news sandwich people sometimes do, where they start and finish up with good news to make it easier to accept, and that my manager just didn't do the two good news bits. It didnt feel great but it wasnt her fault, and Im glad I took the time to think about it so I could actually accept what she was telling me. Otherwise Id have had to have got that feedback again in the future, right?
It's great to hear that you've taken this so well.