TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Points: 43,405, Level: 29 Points: 43,405, Level: 29 Points: 43,405, Level: 29

Philadelphia looting from police killing Walter Wallace Jr - October 29th 2020, 01:23 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

https://www.fox29.com/news/philadelp...looting-unrest

In response to consecutive nights of looting and unrest following the officer-involved shooting death of Walter Wallace Jr. Philadelphia has issued a citywide curfew beginning at 9 p.m. Wednesday through 6 a.m. Thursday.

During this time grocery stores, restaurants and pharmacies are only allowed to open for deliveries. If businesses choose to remain open in this capacity, the city said buildings should be secure to protect on-site and delivery employees.

From the video I believe this was justified for police safety and those who just want to riot and loot will do anything to do so right now..

Share your opinions on this!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Philadelphia looting from police killing Walter Wallace Jr - October 29th 2020, 11:44 PM

Peaceful protesting gets condemned and no one listens. The riots and looting are bound to happen. Can't expect to continue to ignore the problem and not face consequences.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Philadelphia looting from police killing Walter Wallace Jr - November 1st 2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthus View Post

Most of the people who are facing consequences have done nothing wrong, though, and many are people of color themselves and have spoken out against this. I believe even the family of Wallace has.

I think it's important to be compassionate and work for change where it is needed, but I feel we must also be careful not to excuse bad behavior. Nobody is listening to the riots or looting either, and I've actually seen it turning people away from the cause. I think we need to be able to look at the facts of individual situations and consider them from various angles, rather than always just landing on one side.
I'm not one sided. I work directly with the severely mentally ill and I see how police can sometimes deescalate an issue and how they can also end up making it worse. One of the hardest parts of my job is calling to do welfare checks, especially when the police are rude to me, because I worry what might happen to my clients.

The fact is, peaceful protests have been ignored and people are fed up. You may not feel that the rioting is right but when peaceful protests are condemned, people are gonna lose patience and they're gonna stop going out of the way to be peaceful. Back a few months ago people were condemning the riots and then when athletes chose to peacefully protest they were condemned. They were told it wasn't the place.

The fact is, the longer this is ignored, the more riots are gonna happen. Riots happen after years of injustice and years of peaceful means being condemned. They might not be right but until chance happens and until people stop condemning the peaceful protestors they're gonna keep happening.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,747, Level: 42 Points: 88,747, Level: 42 Points: 88,747, Level: 42

Re: Philadelphia looting from police killing Walter Wallace Jr - November 1st 2020, 11:07 PM

Such a shame.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: Philadelphia looting from police killing Walter Wallace Jr - November 2nd 2020, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. View Post
Peaceful protesting gets condemned and no one listens. The riots and looting are bound to happen. Can't expect to continue to ignore the problem and not face consequences.
I definitely agree with this. In America, half of the entire news industry exists to shame peaceful protesters. Fox News has been acting like Collin Kaepernick is the devil for like five years now just because he takes a knee to protest police brutality at football games. They never question the validity of his point, they just shame him and sweep the problem under the rug.
And now, here we are. Rioting and looting. Maybe the government should've listened to peaceful protesters instead of ignored them. Maybe the government shouldn't have let all of our societal issues fester for so long that people felt the need to riot and loot. HOWEVER, I have read studies that say that when this dynamic occurs, and the government has to choose between accepting the demands of peaceful protesters (like MLK) or taking on a potential threat (like Malcolm X) the government is more likely to give in to the peaceful protesters in order to defuse the situation.
Obviously I dont support rioting or looting, but ironically, the violence might lead to America fixing a problem for once.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Points: 43,405, Level: 29 Points: 43,405, Level: 29 Points: 43,405, Level: 29

Re: Philadelphia looting from police killing Walter Wallace Jr - November 4th 2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. View Post
I think a lot of this aggression is how the police departments handle certain situations. I think we should create a citizen board for police moderation like we do for jury duty to review cases of police excessive use of force with evidence to back this up in court.

Closed Thread