TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Points: 43,405, Level: 29 Points: 43,405, Level: 29 Points: 43,405, Level: 29

Critical Race Theory - June 30th 2021, 01:05 AM

What is your opinion on this subject that's been on the news in america

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1368504 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,892, Level: 59 Points: 172,892, Level: 59 Points: 172,892, Level: 59

Re: Critical Race Theory - June 30th 2021, 01:13 AM

I haven't really seen it because I haven't been checking the news lately, but I looked it up and want to make sure I understand.

Does critical race theory state that the way policies and laws are now, only the most extreme cases of racism are really combatted and the systemic, daily examples of racism are largely ignored? The page I read also talks about how a lot of the racism and stereotypes that POC experience essentially benefit white people. I also got out of it that we should listen to the people who experience this racism on a daily basis to learn how the legal system is working (or, not working).

Before I share any opinion, I want to make sure that my understanding is correct.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Points: 43,405, Level: 29 Points: 43,405, Level: 29 Points: 43,405, Level: 29

Re: Critical Race Theory - June 30th 2021, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheek! View Post
I haven't really seen it because I haven't been checking the news lately, but I looked it up and want to make sure I understand.

Does critical race theory state that the way policies and laws are now, only the most extreme cases of racism are really combatted and the systemic, daily examples of racism are largely ignored? The page I read also talks about how a lot of the racism and stereotypes that POC experience essentially benefit white people. I also got out of it that we should listen to the people who experience this racism on a daily basis to learn how the legal system is working (or, not working).

Before I share any opinion, I want to make sure that my understanding is correct.
Not really sure about this it's confusing to me what this really is about to be honest.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Points: 172,892, Level: 59 Points: 172,892, Level: 59 Points: 172,892, Level: 59

Re: Critical Race Theory - June 30th 2021, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwing View Post
Not really sure about this it's confusing to me what this really is about to be honest.
Ahh, gotcha. I'm hoping someone else may be able to provide insight!

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,973, Level: 42 Points: 88,973, Level: 42 Points: 88,973, Level: 42

Re: Critical Race Theory - June 30th 2021, 09:29 AM

I would love some more insight on this topic as well.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: Critical Race Theory - June 30th 2021, 09:19 PM

First off, Critical Race Theory has been an ongoing topic of debate and controversy since the 1970s.

Here is what has happened in recent weeks (US) regarding Critical Race Theory:
Quote:
On June 10, 2021, the Florida State Board of Education unanimously voted to ban public schools from teaching critical race theory at the urging of governor Ron DeSantis.[86] As of June 2021, eight U.S. states had enacted laws banning the teaching of critical race theory and nine others were in the process of doing so.[82]
Source: Wikipedia article "Critical Race Theory"

There is more text earlier in the paragraph that discusses the issues that's been taking place in 2021.

I have never heard of Critical Race Theory before seeing it mentioned on this thread, and I imagine a lot of others haven't.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Critical Race Theory - July 1st 2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust. View Post
I have never heard of Critical Race Theory before seeing it mentioned on this thread, and I imagine a lot of others haven't.
I haven't heard of it which is why I'm so curious as to knowing what it is about.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Re: Critical Race Theory - July 1st 2021, 04:42 PM

I hadn't heard of it either, but I actually saw it on a Facebook post or two so I guess it is gaining traction.

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Critical Race Theory - July 2nd 2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheek! View Post
I hadn't heard of it either, but I actually saw it on a Facebook post or two so I guess it is gaining traction.
I haven't seen anything about it yet over here but maybe there will be posts appearing soon?

(#10 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Critical Race Theory - July 3rd 2021, 01:27 AM

There's critical race theory in the way lawyers use it to show the systemic racism within the USA and the US Justice System. However, what the Republicans are trying to ban is history. They don't want things like Juneteenth and all the Un-white-washed history to be taught.

Critical Race Theory is basically just acknowledging that systemic racism exists in all branches of governments and they want to undo that by teaching. Part of that teaching would be informing united states citizens of our racist history... Not just slavery and civil rights but everything that still goes on.

Take into account the way the Supreme Court just upheld Arizona Voting rights that would unfairly impact poor and people of color. Critical Race theory would teach this in schools.

Lawyers use it differently than they'd teach it in school but it's all just acknowledging the racist history of the country. Many people also take issue with this because some of that history would discuss Trumps rise to president and The GOP does take issue with that.
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Critical Race Theory - July 3rd 2021, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. View Post
There's critical race theory in the way lawyers use it to show the systemic racism within the USA and the US Justice System. However, what the Republicans are trying to ban is history. They don't want things like Juneteenth and all the Un-white-washed history to be taught.

Critical Race Theory is basically just acknowledging that systemic racism exists in all branches of governments and they want to undo that by teaching. Part of that teaching would be informing united states citizens of our racist history... Not just slavery and civil rights but everything that still goes on.

Take into account the way the Supreme Court just upheld Arizona Voting rights that would unfairly impact poor and people of color. Critical Race theory would teach this in schools.

Lawyers use it differently than they'd teach it in school but it's all just acknowledging the racist history of the country. Many people also take issue with this because some of that history would discuss Trumps rise to president and The GOP does take issue with that.
Just wow.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Re: Critical Race Theory - July 3rd 2021, 06:45 PM

Thank you so much for explaining!

It is so, so important that this information is taught in schools. As the saying goes, history repeats itself, and we do not want to backslide even further. Systemic racism is super prevalent today and it is something we need to learn from and grow from, and the future generations need to be better than we are. We can't whitewash history if we want progress to be made. We need this to be taught so people are adequately informed and can take steps to end systematic racism. Of course, government officials wouldn't want it taught if they don't actually want to end it...sigh.

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: Critical Race Theory - July 10th 2021, 07:49 PM

The way I see it, Critical Race Theory is the latest punching bag that right-wing propaganda shows are using to keep their listeners engaged for 2022(midterm elections). Since Biden became president, basically every right-wing outlet has been flailing, trying attack Biden with an issue that sticks for their audience in a non-material way (i.e, issues that dont affect your wallet). They dont want people to be pissed off about economic issues or they'd recognize that corporate politicians are trying to keep them poor while propping up the rich. You could criticize Biden for several things, but instead of criticizing him for cutting the $2000 checks he promised to $1400 checks, they'll whine that Dr. Suess is getting cancelled. Instead of talking about Bidens (so-far) broken promise about forgiving student loans, they'll complain that Biden's dog is "unpresidential". Instead of talking about Biden dropping a minimum wage increase, they'll complain about voter fraud, which barely exists.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Critical Race Theory - July 11th 2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF View Post
The way I see it, Critical Race Theory is the latest punching bag that right-wing propaganda shows are using to keep their listeners engaged for 2022(midterm elections). Since Biden became president, basically every right-wing outlet has been flailing, trying attack Biden with an issue that sticks for their audience in a non-material way (i.e, issues that dont affect your wallet). They dont want people to be pissed off about economic issues or they'd recognize that corporate politicians are trying to keep them poor while propping up the rich. You could criticize Biden for several things, but instead of criticizing him for cutting the $2000 checks he promised to $1400 checks, they'll whine that Dr. Suess is getting cancelled. Instead of talking about Bidens (so-far) broken promise about forgiving student loans, they'll complain that Biden's dog is "unpresidential". Instead of talking about Biden dropping a minimum wage increase, they'll complain about voter fraud, which barely exists.
This is pretty spot on. It's some of what I've been thinking is the core cause of it
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Critical Race Theory - July 12th 2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF View Post
Glad you explained it for me as I was unaware of what it was.

Closed Thread