TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18

Supreme Court of the USA has torched OSHA’s vaccine mandate for big businesses - January 13th 2022, 10:31 PM

Under OSHA mandate all employers of businesses with more than 100 total employees must be vaccinated. This would be the majority of businesses amd essentially every chain. This would have forced 80 million Americans to get vaccinated.

However the SCOTUS has ruled that the executive branch of the US govt (Biden and agencies like OSHA) has no authority to make such a regulation as this power was not delegated to them by Congress. Therefore this sort of mandate is unconstitutional on a federal level.

However the court ruled 5-4 that Bidens mandate on healthcare workers can go through.

Personally I feel like this mandate was the biggest intrusion the federal government has made on actual private citizens since they forced the states to raise the drinking age to 21 during the Reagan era. This vaccine was not even available to me a year ago and yet Im already to have gotten it or I cant work.
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1374931 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: Supreme Court of the USA has torched OSHA’s vaccine mandate for big businesses - January 14th 2022, 06:56 AM

I know you just compared mandating vaccines to raising the drinking age and preventing people from drinking, but a more valid comparison is that mandating vaccines is like taking away peoples' freedom to drive drunk. The general public should be able to live life free from disease to the extent that its possible, and in this case, we have a means to mitigate a virulent disease. With that said, we're not gonna live free from disease if there's a 40% chunk of America that acts as a petri dish for Covid evolution.

The Supreme Court actually has a clear history of supporting vaccine mandates, even going back to vaccinating for smallpox in 1905. In their 7-2 ruling, Justice Harlan wrote on behalf of the majority, "Real liberty for all could not exist under the operation of a principle which recognizes the right of each individual person to use his own, whether in respect of his person or his property, regardless of the injury that may be done to others.” I happen to agree with that, and I also don't believe that corporations should have the right to allow vaccinated, unvaccinated, or immunocompromised people to be subjected to public health risks at work.
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Supreme Court of the USA has torched OSHA’s vaccine mandate for big businesses - January 14th 2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF View Post
I know you just compared mandating vaccines to raising the drinking age and preventing people from drinking, but a more valid comparison is that mandating vaccines is like taking away peoples' freedom to drive drunk. The general public should be able to live life free from disease to the extent that its possible, and in this case, we have a means to mitigate a virulent disease. With that said, we're not gonna live free from disease if there's a 40% chunk of America that acts as a petri dish for Covid evolution.

The Supreme Court actually has a clear history of supporting vaccine mandates, even going back to vaccinating for smallpox in 1905. In their 7-2 ruling, Justice Harlan wrote on behalf of the majority, "Real liberty for all could not exist under the operation of a principle which recognizes the right of each individual person to use his own, whether in respect of his person or his property, regardless of the injury that may be done to others.” I happen to agree with that, and I also don't believe that corporations should have the right to allow vaccinated, unvaccinated, or immunocompromised people to be subjected to public health risks at work.
I really love that comparison. I think it shows the dangers of the unvaccinated and what they are truly fighting for which is to essentially endanger the lives of other.

The Supreme Court decision is disappointing but not surprising given the way the GOP pushed in a conservative majority last minute (which they prevented Obama from doing during his election year but whose surprised by the hypocrisy...?)

I'm in Healthcare so this rule won't effect me or shouldn't but I definitely feel badly for the immunocompromised and others who will be impacted by this.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,747, Level: 42 Points: 88,747, Level: 42 Points: 88,747, Level: 42

Re: Supreme Court of the USA has torched OSHA’s vaccine mandate for big businesses - January 16th 2022, 02:47 AM

Where I live, in order to get out of lockdown, we had to reach a certain percentage of the states population. With certain businesses, employees had to have received at least 1 vaccination in order to still work.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Slytherin21 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Destiny
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 1,736, Level: 6 Points: 1,736, Level: 6 Points: 1,736, Level: 6

Re: Supreme Court of the USA has torched OSHA’s vaccine mandate for big businesses - February 8th 2022, 04:05 AM

I believe it is a big violation of my rights and body. The injection doesnt really stop you from getting it or passing it on it just helps prevent you from dying which it should be my right to choose if we are truly free. Ive lost 3 unvacinated members of my family to the [edited] plus2 of my close relatives got it and passed it on to their kids even tho they were all vaccinated

Last edited by hocus pocus; February 12th 2022 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Please be respectful to others! Don't use racial slurs.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Supreme Court of the USA has torched OSHA’s vaccine mandate for big businesses - February 18th 2022, 11:48 AM

Working in public health over the last two years has been a nightmare, and I've worked COVID-19 response in the USA since June 2020. I'm tired, y'all. Robert makes great points about precedent, and while I have a lot of thoughts about mandates and civil liberties, I just wish people would do what's best for their communities whether or not the government tells them to or not. That'd be nice.

something burning?
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread