TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Points: 43,405, Level: 29 Points: 43,405, Level: 29 Points: 43,405, Level: 29

Elon Musk buying Twitter - April 27th 2022, 09:26 PM

Do you still plan to use Twitter if this is officially a done deal.?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,500, Level: 59 Points: 172,500, Level: 59 Points: 172,500, Level: 59

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - April 28th 2022, 12:17 AM

I don't really use Twitter to begin with but I can see how this is going to be problematic. I heard that this would eliminate a lot of protections that are currently there against things like racism, homophobia, etc, but I don't know how true it is.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - April 28th 2022, 06:38 AM

I used twitter once in high school and didnt find it appealing, so I quit. Its probably for the best- it's something I would've got hooked on later, which is kind of how Reddit is for me now.
As it is, I'm of the opinion that Elon Musk isn't actually that smart (at least compared to his public image) and he's just a good marketer. I think Twitter will either stay the exact same or it'll crash and burn until it turns into something like Parlor.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Astro04 Offline
Community Mentor

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Luca

Points: 4,929, Level: 10 Points: 4,929, Level: 10 Points: 4,929, Level: 10

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - April 28th 2022, 08:07 AM

I didn't use it, but for me doesn't exist the perfect and politically correct social and will never exist. With Elon or not.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - April 28th 2022, 09:09 AM

I don't use Twitter and never have.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - April 28th 2022, 10:50 AM

I've tried using Twitter in the past and could never really get into it. So I stopped using it, even though I still have a few accounts.

What frustrates me is that with this anti-Twitter movement, other social media platform will be the new home to toxic individuals.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Doodle. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Ceilidh
Pronouns: Any/All

Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - April 28th 2022, 10:50 AM

I despise Twitter. Everytime I use it people are being unbelievably toxic.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - April 30th 2022, 05:56 AM

I've got some concerns about him allowing extreme right wing propoganda more racism, hate, bigotry then we already see (JK Rowlings extreme transphobia is a good example) but I don't use Twitter a ton because it's toxic so if it gets bad I'll just leave.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - May 1st 2022, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Vellichor:. View Post
I've got some concerns about him allowing extreme right wing propoganda more racism, hate, bigotry then we already see (JK Rowlings extreme transphobia is a good example) but I don't use Twitter a ton because it's toxic so if it gets bad I'll just leave.
I mean if you dont agree with someone and you dont like their opinion, why not just censor them outright and take away their voice? Lol at JK Rowling being “extreme right wing” in her propaganda. I get the impression that if it werent for the first amendment, many on the left would call for state sponsored bans on “extreme right” speech, and not just on the private platforms that many people use.

Im concerned with recent expansions of censorship on these platforms that didnt exist before 2020. I mean, you cant even see dislikes on youtube videos, a useful feature, because some people got their feelings hurt. Twitter banned a president.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - May 1st 2022, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF View Post
I used twitter once in high school and didnt find it appealing, so I quit. Its probably for the best- it's something I would've got hooked on later, which is kind of how Reddit is for me now.
As it is, I'm of the opinion that Elon Musk isn't actually that smart (at least compared to his public image) and he's just a good marketer. I think Twitter will either stay the exact same or it'll crash and burn until it turns into something like Parlor.
Becoming the richest person in the world using novel marketing ideas requires a lot of intelligence. You dont become a billionaire from being average.

Last edited by Proud90sKid; May 1st 2022 at 08:34 PM.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - May 1st 2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud90sKid View Post
I mean if you dont agree with someone and you dont like their opinion, why not just censor them outright and take away their voice? Lol at JK Rowling being “extreme right wing” in her propaganda. I get the impression that if it werent for the first amendment, many on the left would call for state sponsored bans on “extreme right” speech, and not just on the private platforms that many people use.

Im concerned with recent expansions of censorship on these platforms that didnt exist before 2020. I mean, you cant even see dislikes on youtube videos, a useful feature, because some people got their feelings hurt. Twitter banned a president.
LOL. Transphobia is extreme right wing and JK Rowling is transphobic. It's not surprising that you wouldn't see it that way given the vitriol and hate you continue to spew towards anyone who isn't straight/cis and white.

Twitter banned a president who was condoning racism and hate. The entire rise of Trump to power shows the racism and hate that exists in the United States. The people that voted for Trump did vote for racism and Twitter saw the hate and vitriol and banned him. You say liberals get hurt feelings yet you can't handle a bigoted president being banned. Weird.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - May 1st 2022, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Becoming the richest person in the world and novel marketing ideas requires a lot of intelligence. You dont become a billionaire from being average.
Actually, you can somewhat easily become the richest person in the world when you start with enough seed money and use it to hire people who work out your "ideas," then reap in the profits. It happens all the time.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - May 1st 2022, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subversive View Post
Actually, you can somewhat easily become the richest person in the world when you start with enough seed money and use it to hire people who work out your "ideas," then reap in the profits. It happens all the time.
Having the right ideas though is how they get there. Thats the hard part. Requires a level of ingenuity that most people dont have.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - May 1st 2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Having the right ideas though is how they get there. Thats the hard part. Requires a level of ingenuity that most people dont have.
I'm not going to go off topic, as this is about Musk buying Twitter, and not about him as a person. There's a lot I could say about him, his ethics, and his business practices, but I will just say that this is an unfortunate development. Billionaires destroy this planet enough as is. Their biases tainting platforms people could previously use more openly is a disappointing thing, and I don't even use Twitter.
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - May 1st 2022, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Vellichor:. View Post
LOL. Transphobia is extreme right wing and JK Rowling is transphobic. It's not surprising that you wouldn't see it that way given the vitriol and hate you continue to spew towards anyone who isn't straight/cis and white.

Twitter banned a president who was condoning racism and hate. The entire rise of Trump to power shows the racism and hate that exists in the United States. The people that voted for Trump did vote for racism and Twitter saw the hate and vitriol and banned him. You say liberals get hurt feelings yet you can't handle a bigoted president being banned. Weird.
Transphobia is not right wing. Anyways, whats wrong with letting people say what they want because “sticks and stones” and all that? Just because someone finds speech offensive doesnt mean they shouldnt be allowed to have a voice.Nobody has ever been able to convince me that simply creating a website where people can post uncensored speech content is in anyway unethical, but here we are with the idea that site owners should be responsible for what third parties host on their site. Like if Elon Musk doesnt moderate everything, just lets it be, somehow thats a travesty in some peoples head. I dont think Ill ever be able to see it that way because I simply do not think like this.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - November 20th 2022, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Becoming the richest person in the world using novel marketing ideas requires a lot of intelligence. You dont become a billionaire from being average.
Told ya. He COULD be incredibly smart in a specific area, but when it comes to running a social media company, Elon Musk is dumb as a rock.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - November 20th 2022, 02:30 AM

Ive never used twitter
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - November 20th 2022, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Told ya. He COULD be incredibly smart in a specific area, but when it comes to running a social media company, Elon Musk is dumb as a rock.
How? Buying twitter maybe wasnt the best idea but time will tell what will become of it and if he can restore it to the possibility of a good future. Please clarify why you think he will do such a bad job? There have been some teething issues, but probably there needs to be some changes to the company.

Also would be very willing to bet that Elon Musk would score higher on most objective measures of intelligence than you would.
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Slytherin21 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Destiny
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 1,736, Level: 6 Points: 1,736, Level: 6 Points: 1,736, Level: 6

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - November 20th 2022, 02:29 PM

Hopefully elon musk gives people back their right to freedom of speach unlike zuckerberg who silences anyone over the stupidest reason ( i was just banned from fb 30 days cause i commented on someone post id kidnap a baby dinosaur if they existed) if elon lets me say whatever i want id gladly pay 20bucks a month to do it. Plus jk rowling is on it and shes my favorite author.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - November 20th 2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:
How? Buying twitter maybe wasnt the best idea but time will tell what will become of it and if he can restore it to the possibility of a good future. Please clarify why you think he will do such a bad job? There have been some teething issues, but probably there needs to be some changes to the company.

Also would be very willing to bet that Elon Musk would score higher on most objective measures of intelligence than you would.
Customers are leaving en masse, corporate sponsors are fleeing the platform, fake blue check accounts have cost companies billions of dollars in stock value, and most importantly, the employees who keep the platform running are leaving. Elon Musk bought Twitter on October 27th and there's a very real chance that it might completely fall apart before November 27th.

It doesn't bother me if Elon Musk is more intelligent than I am, I've met plenty of people who are smarter than me. Good for them. But even if he did score smarter than me on most objective measures of intelligence, at least my mistakes don't cost 44 billion dollars.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - November 25th 2022, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherin21 View Post
Hopefully elon musk gives people back their right to freedom of speach unlike zuckerberg who silences anyone over the stupidest reason ( i was just banned from fb 30 days cause i commented on someone post id kidnap a baby dinosaur if they existed) if elon lets me say whatever i want id gladly pay 20bucks a month to do it. Plus jk rowling is on it and shes my favorite author.

Yup, this censorship by tech companies of everything and everyone the left does not like at the moment is an extremely scary trend. You used to be able to talk about basically anything. Now the censorship is so ridiculous because the liberals have invented this idea of "dangerous speech".
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - November 30th 2022, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Yup, this censorship by tech companies of everything and everyone the left does not like at the moment is an extremely scary trend. You used to be able to talk about basically anything. Now the censorship is so ridiculous because the liberals have invented this idea of "dangerous speech".
Who do you think should be censored, then?
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - December 1st 2022, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Who do you think should be censored, then?
How about nobody? There shouldn't be limitations on what people can post. If they want to say the n-word within the context of a racist comment, I say let them. That is their own opinion and should be respected and not silenced. Words should not be policed or moderated.
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - December 1st 2022, 08:23 PM

Social media platforms should be a safe place for everyone; especially the marginalized communities. POC, LGBTQIA+, the neurodivergent and those with other disabilities, women. They should feel safe on the Internet and on such a public forum. Those who dare to threaten that sense of safety should be silenced; they do absolutely nothing to contribute towards the dialogue other than try to intimidate and silence those they disagree with.

I hate that Eton Musk bought Twitter; but the social media platforms of the late 2000s are going to have to start dying at some point.

If it's Twitter, then so be it.
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - December 3rd 2022, 05:01 AM

Quote:
How about nobody? There shouldn't be limitations on what people can post. If they want to say the n-word within the context of a racist comment, I say let them. That is their own opinion and should be respected and not silenced. Words should not be policed or moderated.
Ok, do you understand why turning twitter into 4Chan might be a problematic business model for one of the world's biggest companies?
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Slytherin21 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Destiny
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 1,736, Level: 6 Points: 1,736, Level: 6 Points: 1,736, Level: 6

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - December 3rd 2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I agree with you on this. I should be able to say anything i want and if people get their feeling hurt just shows they werent mature enough for the interenet
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,670, Level: 46 Points: 106,670, Level: 46 Points: 106,670, Level: 46

Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - December 9th 2022, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherin21 View Post
I agree with you on this. I should be able to say anything i want and if people get their feeling hurt just shows they werent mature enough for the interenet
Arguably a far bigger component of maturity is the ability to consider how your words or actions will affect other people, and to prioritise the safety of others over your own convenience. Feeling entitled to say anything you like and take no responsibility for any harm done by your words is a good way to foster hostility and create unsafe environments. Having "hurt feelings" in this context isn't about people not being able to take a joke or looking for excuses to be offended; it's about the fact that the more hate speech is allowed to flourish, the less safe vulnerable people will be. Online words have offline consequences, and unchallenged bigotry and aggression can lead to real, measurable harm. If that isn't cause for feeling hurt, I don't know what is.

Regardless, to the original point of the thread: from what I've seen, having been a long-term Twitter user, this has been one of its most turbulent times and that's due almost entirely due to the new ownership. Features are getting implemented and abandoned, the workforce is being whittled down to a level that's barely functional, and it's clear that Elon Musk doesn't actually understand how the site works or how best to run it. Like MWF pointed out, advertisers and users are jumping ship while companies are losing significant amounts of money, so even if you set the ethics issue aside it's still been a failure of business decision-making.

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
TheHelper0zzz Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1

Angry Re: Elon Musk buying Twitter - August 25th 2023, 01:26 PM

No. Elon Musk is a rich dick who only cares about money and his companies, and nothing else. I hope that in the future, another, better person will take over.