TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,684, Level: 18 Points: 16,684, Level: 18 Points: 16,684, Level: 18

Why do American liberals push low quality candidates? - April 11th 2024, 09:25 PM

Serious question. I hate Republican Desantis in Florida. Why do we have him? Because in 2018, democrats pushed a very low quality candidate named Andrew Gillum. Then in 2022, they pushed Charlie Crist who can't even decide what party he is of (he literally used to be our Republican governor! .....now they think he is good to run again as Democrat? Come on!). To defeat Desantis in Florida in 2022, democrats would need a strong candidate who would lay out a framework of solving Florida's housing and insurance crises. It probably would have worked. It would take someone more dedicated than Desantis to steer native Floridians and even create a debate. But a real debate there was not. The election happened and I barely heard Charlie's weak campaign.It is as if he didn't even try and was just a fill in so they can have "somebody"/fill the void (aka give the election away). Of course Desantis won as a result. Democrats had the best chance in 2018....Rick Scott was unpopular.....but they wanted to run Gillum cause he is a racial minority. Turn's out, people don't vote for minorities just because they think minorities should be given special treatment.... they are treated equally. Now he have Desantis, who made it a point to go stronger on issues in 2018 and therefore bringing out more people to vote for him. Trump won 2016 because Hilary was unpopular, even among democrats. Problems were obvious as early as her first campaign years earlier. When I talked to democrats in 2014, few of them liked her. Most hated her. Biden? Weak as hell on issues and changes his stance (such as on the vaccine mandates that he initially thought weren't going to happen, then later decided were necessary but later proven to not be needed as the vaccine did not turn out to be what it was originally advertised as (and came with side effects)). "Yes, our candidate sucks.... but you are a sexist racist asshole if you vote for...." doesn't go very far with a lot of people. If e democrat said "we are going to federally declassify weed , work hard on reducing inflation, at least attempt to improve economic conditions for the younger generations, and either implement universal healthcare or force every state to expand medicaid" then I would absolutely support them.

Each time a bad Republican assumes office, it seems that it was because a weak ass candidate ran against them. The other party shit the bed and didn't come up with an alternative that was viable. Obama won because he was a very strong candidate and McCain was relatively weak. We have the ACA as a result of his strength. Biden has not given us anything nor has he progressed things much with his policies. Care hasn't become more affordable (even after a pandemic) and things seem to suck worse than in 2020 when Trump was in office. He has sat and watched as corporations price gouge and contribute to most of inflation, resulting in the federal reserve implementing policies that are bad for America's workers. He also told us that we need to sacrifice even more for Ukraine when our country is not doing the best and just coming out of pandemic. I don't consider Biden a "get shit done" democrat. He is a "do nothing.... and don't say much on TV" democrat.

Being president or governor is the not the pinnacle of human achievement, and I feel like the obsession with "minority candidates" is doing them a massive disservice. Just go for whoever is the most qualified. People don't vote for someone just because they would be the "first female" or whatever in office. They vote over how recent events have affected them emotionally, few care about "breaking the glass ceiling" if they don't like the person that would be doing it. We've all dreamed about being president when we were 5 years old. No need to make it poetic. It certainly doesn't make the candidate appear more human or enticing.

I'm voting for Trump over Biden because Biden won't get ANYTHING that is of consequence to me done.

Literally ever since Hilary, dems have been saying "well, they aren't Trump" as a central part of their campaign. If dems truly think Trump is so bad and they can fix it, they need a higher standard than simply not being the same person as him.

Last edited by Proud90sKid; April 11th 2024 at 10:22 PM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 34,122, Level: 26 Points: 34,122, Level: 26 Points: 34,122, Level: 26

Re: Why do American liberals push low quality candidates? - April 11th 2024, 10:03 PM

[SIZE="a"]I don’t really follow politics as much as I should, but I know I don’t like the governor of my home state. I only say this as someone who is disabled and has been searching for a job since early 2020.

This governor has allowed migrants to seek refuge here, taking up space in hotels and this can lead to a disruption in tourism. The governor continues to stress for J-2 workers to spend the summer here, which takes away job opportunities not only from me, but students that are old enough to legally work.

In the context of accessibility, she does not focus on that and make accommodation for Deaf people readily available. She prefers to focus on inclusivity for other minorities, such as POC, LGBT+, and women. She hasn’t made herself accessible by using closed captioning or hiring certified ASL interpreters.

I did not vote for her in the state governmental election even though she is a Democrat.[/size]
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,684, Level: 18 Points: 16,684, Level: 18 Points: 16,684, Level: 18

Re: Why do American liberals push low quality candidates? - April 11th 2024, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH Anonymous View Post
[SIZE="a"]I don’t really follow politics as much as I should, but I know I don’t like the governor of my home state. I only say this as someone who is disabled and has been searching for a job since early 2020.

This governor has allowed migrants to seek refuge here, taking up space in hotels and this can lead to a disruption in tourism. The governor continues to stress for J-2 workers to spend the summer here, which takes away job opportunities not only from me, but students that are old enough to legally work.

In the context of accessibility, she does not focus on that and make accommodation for Deaf people readily available. She prefers to focus on inclusivity for other minorities, such as POC, LGBT+, and women. She hasn’t made herself accessible by using closed captioning or hiring certified ASL interpreters.

I did not vote for her in the state governmental election even though she is a Democrat.[/size]
Yup, I agree with you. They seem obsessed with only certain minorities now (the ones that they feel are relevant for votes) and only care about them. I am a white male with autism.This affects me during interviews. Liberals are obsessed with : black, transgender, female. I didn't luck into those three groups so i'm just seen as a socially awkward "4-chan (or whatever you call it)" kind of guy. I responded to a post saying that I oppose affirmative action because many can be validly considered a disadvantaged minority without falling into a certain category. They were pissed off. Thats cancel culture for ya! One reason I will NEVER support it.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 34,122, Level: 26 Points: 34,122, Level: 26 Points: 34,122, Level: 26

Re: Why do American liberals push low quality candidates? - April 12th 2024, 12:17 AM

[SIZE="a"]We need a Democrat president and governor who does their freaking job. Inclusivity isn’t inclusivity until it involves all the marginalized groups. Deaf and hard of hearing, bind and low-vision, those with low mobility, and so on forth. Make it the law to have certified ASL interpreters readily available; and the priority should be made for speeches made by the government. CBC, in Canada, is the only station in the whole world that requires broadcasts to be closed captioned. It’s not always enforced and that’s a fault of Canada, not the US. But the point remains is that we should begin being inclusive by understanding what qualifies as discrimination of all people in 2024.

This goes all the way to the governor and president. As someone who leads a state, sub-section of a country, or a whole nation should be a leader. They should be doing their job. They should be living up to their campaign promises. I remember five or six years ago, looking at the Democrat candidates and Joe Biden was not someone I was planning to vote for right away. I don’t remember what it was he voiced against, but I thought to myself “Hmm, that’s not something a Democrat president should stand against” so I chose to focus on one person and one person only. Unfortunately, she was bullied out of the race, and the potential to be vice president, in 2020.

We need to be voting for someone who is qualified, not “lesser of two evils” because that’s just as bad. If this candidate, the “lesser of two evils” wins the race, then what? This person is going to be president for the next four years, who the hell says they’re qualified to do the job? This is exactly the situation that America is in today. When November comes, I am not going to be voting for Joe Biden or Donald Trump. Sure, my vote will go to waste, but I still stand by this candidate even though she didn’t run. I want to make a statement, a quiet one and one that nobody will acknowledge. When I told a friend that I voted for this candidate in the March 2020 primaries, she was appalled.

I know now not to discuss politics with friends. My family were impressed I voted for her and were all like “If I were a Democrat, I’d vote for her” and they frigging should have. Being a Republican doesn’t mean you’re bound to that party for life. But it wouldn’t have matter because, as I said, she was bullied out of the race and dropped out a few days before the March 2020 primaries. To be clear, I am not talking about the former senator of MY state, I’m talking about the senator of another state. I thought the former senator of my state was a total nutcase, and I’m glad she dropped out. I think she would’ve won the primaries had she not, beating out Joe Biden; but I think Trump would be president.

Anyways, I could go on forever talking about politics even though I barely follow it.[/size]