TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Points: 52,404, Level: 32 Points: 52,404, Level: 32 Points: 52,404, Level: 32

[RAPE] Barstool Blackout Party - February 2nd 2012, 01:10 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Barstool Blackout Tour is basically a big dance that is sponsored by "Barstool." They pick certain colleges to host these parties for (ones that vote for them most on facebook or something). However, not all students know about their blog... and since this dance party is throwing a big event for my school, let's just say I'm pretty outraged that my peers are financing this crap.

Other opinions?

CLICK ME

Quote:
Students Speak Out Against Gross Bros and Their Parties
Quote:
Barstool Sports, for the uninitiated, is the broquivalent of those gossip blogs that talk about how fat female celebrities are, interspersed with dumb jokes about the girth of the blogger's dick. They're also hosting a series of parties at locations around the country. But some students at Northeastern University say the Barstool Bros aren't welcome, largely because they think rape is hilarious.

Barstool's Blackout Party (the "worlds biggest blacklight party") is scheduled to come to Northeastern on Feb. 2. According to an editorial in Northeastern's Huntington News written by student members of a group called Knockout Barstool, "it sounds like a good time until you realize that the blog is riddled with writing that perpetuates negative ideas of what it means to be a "man" through degrading women and normalizing rape culture." What are they talking about? Let's take a tour of some of Barstool's grosser statements.

On rape: "Just to make friends with the feminists I'd like to reiterate that we don't condone rape of any kind at our Blackout Parties in mid January. However if a a chick passes out that's a grey area though."
On the hiring of a new TV sports reporter:
At the very least NESN should offer me prima nocte with Jenny Dell for nailing this before anybody else. Anyway great hire by them. The beautiful thing here is I'm already in love with Jenny Dell so it dovetails perfectly into me stalking her without skipping a beat. [...]

PS –- I wonder if Jen Royle still thinks you don't have to be an absolute smoke bomb to get this job? Welcome to the real world honey. Everybody thinks like us, they just won't come out and say it.

On a game of tag that led to a boy's sexual assault charge:
I sexually assaulted chicks on the Tag playground on purpose. That shit doesn't just accidentally happen.

So the moral of the story here is that this little 6 year old is definitely probably gay. Not some sort of rapist. Doesn't deserve sexual assault on his record. But he's gotta have the gay. Because in this life you don't accidentally grab cock. Whether you're playing tag or not. You touch another man's dick, you've got the gay. Plain and simple. So expunge the assault charges off this kid's record and just stamp his file with a big old warning "GAY." Let the other kids in school know to protect their dicks next time they're waiting to be tagged unfrozen during Freeze Tag.

On more rape:
[E]ven though I never condone rape if you're a size [edit] and you're wearing skinny jeans you kind of deserve to be raped right? I mean skinny jeans don't look good on size [edit] chicks, nevermind size [edit]. Because unless you're Jessica Biel they just totally smother the ass. So it's almost like this guy had no choice but to teach her a lesson.

I can't say I'm particularly shocked by any of this shit. Awful dudes have been filling the internet with rape jokes for other awful dudes to laugh at since there was internet to fill. And Barstool Sports isn't even especially original — its style owes a lot to the aforementioned brossip blogs, like The Superficial and Drunken Stepfather. Still, just because their grossness isn't new doesn't mean it deserves university support. KO Barstool tells us the Northeastern administration has tweeted that it doesn't officially endorse the Blackout Party, but hasn't issued a statement beyond that. In the editorial, the KO campaigners write,

We demand Northeastern University and its administration stand for women and denounce Barstool Sports and the NU Blackout Party. These organizations do not represent the values of our community nor our institution.

It's hard being the ones standing up against rape jokes, especially when your adversary is also offering college kids a big party. Comments on KO Barstool's Tumblr speak to the difficulty of being the one calling out bro grossness ("please keep this protest going because I literally laugh at every time Barstool puts up a post about making fun of you guys, it's absolute gold"). And KO Barstool has been threatened online by someone calling himself "El Pres" — in response to the Huntington News editorial, he wrote, "I'm going to rape you for that." "El Presidente" is the handle of Barstool's editor. Whether Barstool's "presidente" himself is taking the time to threaten college students with rape in their newspaper comments sections, it's clear that a number of people at Northeastern and elsewhere regard KO Barstool as feminazi bonerkillers who hate fun. Which is too bad because every time someone equates being a played-out, bro-y asshole who makes stale rape jokes with having a good time, a piece of actual fun dies.

Last edited by *Jen*; February 3rd 2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Please don't post clothes sizes it is against the ToS
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 807740 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Baxter Offline
Average Joe

Points: 8,366, Level: 13 Points: 8,366, Level: 13 Points: 8,366, Level: 13

Re: [RAPE] Barstool Blackout Party - February 2nd 2012, 02:39 PM

You should be able to attempt to make anything funny.

I'm not going to boycott a party just because they made some bad jokes. I'm still going to the NYU one.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Points: 25,671, Level: 23 Points: 25,671, Level: 23 Points: 25,671, Level: 23

Re: [RAPE] Barstool Blackout Party - February 2nd 2012, 02:44 PM

Shit brah! Let's hate and shun people for having an unconventional sense of humour...
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Points: 29,500, Level: 24 Points: 29,500, Level: 24 Points: 29,500, Level: 24

Re: [RAPE] Barstool Blackout Party - February 2nd 2012, 03:37 PM

Yeah. It's supposed to be funny, but it's just stupid. Perpetuating rape culture? Not so much.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
NonIndigenous Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25

Re: [RAPE] Barstool Blackout Party - February 2nd 2012, 07:41 PM

I love spitting in the face of political correctness... but on the other hand the only reason why political correctness exists in the first place is because of fools like this.

This kinda talk is alright at a drunken party with maybe a dozen close friends around you. Throwing it out in public like it's something "normal" that everyone should buy into is wrong.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: [RAPE] Barstool Blackout Party - February 2nd 2012, 11:30 PM

Amy. You know my opinion about this. I do not need to say it. If somebody tried to get this on my campus, I would be outraged. And knowing my campus, it will happen.

something burning?
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Points: 52,404, Level: 32 Points: 52,404, Level: 32 Points: 52,404, Level: 32

Re: [RAPE] Barstool Blackout Party - February 3rd 2012, 03:41 AM

Do you really think these classify as "bad jokes" or humorous in ANY way?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 15,744, Level: 18 Points: 15,744, Level: 18 Points: 15,744, Level: 18

Re: [RAPE] Barstool Blackout Party - February 3rd 2012, 04:04 AM

There are a lot of things that I find funny that might be unconventional, but there is quite a difference in having an "unconventional" sense of humor and being deranged enough to find this topic funny, especially if you have experienced such a thing or know someone who has. My guess is that the people that condone this type of behavior have never had any close personal connection with anyone that has been raped or abused and cannot relate to the topic in a serious manner.

"Ignore the ramblings of the ignorant, and step on or over their crumpled bodies as you make your way to the top of the mountain. Eat upon their flesh for fuel, and, through your determination and will, banish them to obscurity and a life of complacency and self righteousness that is the hell in which they live"

-Richard Safreed

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
NonIndigenous Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25

Re: [RAPE] Barstool Blackout Party - February 3rd 2012, 04:24 PM

It's almost as if they're encouraging rape...

If I saw something like that at a party, and I was drunk myself, I'd probably break a bottle on the guy's head. I have a very strong objection to people thinking that this kind of shit is "alright"... especially when the girl is passed out. You know what... anyone who thinks like that should go fuck themselves, with a screwdriver.

Just from personal experience of some of the shit I've had to deal with... I can't stand this sort of approach. Like I said... it's "funny" for some in a group of 12 drunk friends... but throwing it out in public starts making a lot of assholes think that it's actually ok. I'm not saying everyone's like this... but some are.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread