TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Broken Record Offline
Nyaaa!~~
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Aly

Points: 9,620, Level: 14 Points: 9,620, Level: 14 Points: 9,620, Level: 14

Love & Religion - June 3rd 2009, 05:34 AM

Okay to start out with: I am not a religious person whatsoever. I was raised in a Christian family. I've taken anthropology classes that made me feel even less warm towards the idea of following any one religion. At most I am agnostic, but I lean more towards an atheist view.

So I've been with this boy for about 6 months now. He is totally the sweetest guy I've ever dated. He's everything I have ever wanted in a lover.We work so well together. We haven't had a single argument yet! We're already really close, in fact we'll be moving in together soon.

Him and his family are Jehovah's Witness. I don't know much about them, except they don't celebrate holidays.

So it really has me worried. Is it possible that a relationship could work out between someone quite religious and an atheist? Should I convert? Do I need to break it off now?

Also since my family is Christian... what will I do about holidays?? It kinda saddens me to think he can not celebrate with me. I couldn't imagine having to tell my family, "I can't celebrate this year, it's now against my religion."
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Bill Mather
Average Joe

Name: Bill Mather

Points: 11,773, Level: 15 Points: 11,773, Level: 15 Points: 11,773, Level: 15

Re: Love & Religion - June 3rd 2009, 05:42 AM

I think that it is your decision. I was told by the reverend at my school that many religions view that getting to God is like a mountain with many paths to the top. If you want to convert, you can. If you don't then don't. What religion he is in shouldn't decide weather you want to stay together or not. About the holiday's thing, I don't know. That would be something that you would have to take up between him and you. I am not saying that it isn't an issue. And I don't think that you should break up with him, just because he believes something different than you. But you should talk about the holidays.

YOU WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT IS AROUND THE CORNER IF YOU NEVER GO AROUND THE CORNER
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Zeph Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 9,621, Level: 14 Points: 9,621, Level: 14 Points: 9,621, Level: 14

Re: Love & Religion - June 3rd 2009, 05:43 AM

I firmly believe love can surpass religion-based conflicts. My mom is Jewish, and my dad is Christian. We celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas with no issues at all.

(Sorry, I'm so, so tired, but I saw this thread, and I wanted to post something. I had a whole long post written out, but I just re-read it and I didn't think it made much sense, so I erased it. I was about to just not post anything at all, but I just want you to know that a difference in religious beliefs isn't going to kill your relationship. Love is powerful.)
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Broken Record Offline
Nyaaa!~~
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Aly

Points: 9,620, Level: 14 Points: 9,620, Level: 14 Points: 9,620, Level: 14

Re: Love & Religion - June 3rd 2009, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
I firmly believe love can surpass religion-based conflicts. My mom is Jewish, and my dad is Christian. We celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas with no issues at all.

(Sorry, I'm so, so tired, but I saw this thread, and I wanted to post something. I had a whole long post written out, but I just re-read it and I didn't think it made much sense, so I erased it. I was about to just not post anything at all, but I just want you to know that a difference in religious beliefs isn't going to kill your relationship. Love is powerful.)
I'm very glad that you did post! Just hearing about your family just made me feel much more optimistic! Thank you.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
EmilyNicole Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Emily

Points: 10,261, Level: 14 Points: 10,261, Level: 14 Points: 10,261, Level: 14

Re: Love & Religion - June 3rd 2009, 07:36 PM

I know this situation very well.
I'm agnostic and all my boyfriends have been christian. In fact, the last one went to a very prestigous christian private school. I don't think you should ever change yourself for somebody else. That is, unless changing your religion is a personal choice. I think you have to think of it as, 'I would never ask him to change his religion. Would he do the same to me?' and no one should ask you to do that. So if he hasn't, Then that's a good thing. A guy that really likes you is willing to take you the way you are, No changes.
I still celebrate religious holidays, Though they're not the same as what everyone else thinks. They're more of a tradition that my family enjoys.
Yes, a relationship CAN work out between 2 people with different religions.
My mom once told me of a couple. The man was devote Catholic. The woman was Atheist. And when the man went to church on Sundays, The woman would watch the young children in the nursery at the church and then meet him outside afterwards.
So, see. It doesn't have to be a problem, If the two people really love eachother.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
emilyerin88 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Emily

Points: 9,461, Level: 14 Points: 9,461, Level: 14 Points: 9,461, Level: 14

Re: Love & Religion - June 4th 2009, 05:26 PM

I feel the same way you do about religion. I too have taken anthropology/biology classes, that have changed my view, and just seeing some people and being in certain situations has made me think twice about religion. I am not religious, though I did go to church when I was younger. My boyfriend is a Christian...not extreme, but we get into arguments every now and then about how we want to raise our kids,etc. I don't think you should convert unless you want to. Personally, I couldn't be a Christian (or any religion, for that matter) because I know too much about truth to try to force myself into thinking something else is true. If that made ANY sense. So if you want to, do. If not, don't. Maybe you and your boyfriend could split up on the holidays...you spend them with your family, he spends it with his...
It can work...all you need is love.
Closed Thread