TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MermaidMassacre Offline
Finding beauty in darkness.
I've been here a while

Name: Bridget

Points: 20,224, Level: 20 Points: 20,224, Level: 20 Points: 20,224, Level: 20

Not sure what you would classify my "religion" as? - November 19th 2009, 01:56 AM

Soooo...

In advance, to any christians, or others that I may offend. I'm sorry. It's just my views. I don't mean to judge your God or anything like that. Since I will admit I don't pay attention in church or read the bible, so my insight may not be accurate. So just, sorry if I do.

Quick background:
  • My entire family is hardcore christian.
  • All my friends except my best friends are christians.
  • I grew up going to church and sunday school and loving it.
  • Eventually thought I was being forced into a religion, and questioned everything so eventually rebelled against it.
  • Because I am into vampires, and tend to wear black, my parents sometimes call me "the anti christ" "the devils spawn" but jokingly. Yet sometimes I wonder if they arn't.
Now what I believe/how I am:
  • I believe there is a "God", just not sure who or what it is. So mostly I believe there is a higher power.
  • If God is God and their is a higher power, I just chose not to go with it and worship it.
  • I don't really find the bible false, but I don't exactly read it and take it all in.
  • I tend to get easily annoyed when people seem to pressure their religion onto me.
  • I think there has to be another explaination for everything. Like all the creation theories.
  • I find some things wrong about the christian "God". Like, is he sexist? He never got married, and most of the higher powers in heaven are men. Also women have babies, and go through all the reproductive pain and all that. Also in the old testiment it is mentioned that the wife should honor her husband? Nothing about the husband honoring his wife. I found that ehhh. Then...with the gay and bi sexual stand point. I have heard that God is not so happy about all that. Since in the bible it states a man will marry a woman or something. Just little things like that bother me.
SO! Question time!

1. Just your opinion. What do you think my religion is? If I had to label it. Agnostic? Atheist? Christian? Or just my own thing?
I got by Agnostic, but people keep telling me i'm something else.
2. If there is the christian "God" and I still believe the bible and he died for our sins and all that stuff, but just don't worship him. Am I going to "hell"?

Anyway, I know that was kinda long.

But any opinions or responses are appreciated. =)

I'll do whatever it takes to be the mistake you can't live without.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21

Re: Not sure what you would classify my "religion" as? - November 19th 2009, 03:11 AM

You believe that there is a god - where an agnostic only believes there might be - but you don't feel that any of the mainstream religions paint a reasonable picture or anything you'd really want to believe in, right?

I think the term you're looking for then is "deist." Deism generally means that you believe there exists some kind of higher power, but not necessarily that it wants our worship, or that it even pays any attention to us. Generally, a deist thinks that there's no way to know what god is like, so there's no reason to subscribe to any particular religion. And I can certainly agree with you that the common vision of the christian god is not really a very appealing one.

That help you any?

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I've been here a while

Name: Basil!!!

Points: 17,727, Level: 19 Points: 17,727, Level: 19 Points: 17,727, Level: 19

Re: Not sure what you would classify my "religion" as? - November 19th 2009, 05:34 PM

One note on your constant apologising, don't. You have your own religion, Christians have theirs, there's no way anyone's going to take offence because you believe in something different from them.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 15,360, Level: 18 Points: 15,360, Level: 18 Points: 15,360, Level: 18

Re: Not sure what you would classify my "religion" as? - November 19th 2009, 05:52 PM

Classifying is overrated.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Points: 27,365, Level: 23 Points: 27,365, Level: 23 Points: 27,365, Level: 23

Re: Not sure what you would classify my "religion" as? - November 19th 2009, 07:39 PM

Ehh I somewhat agree. I'm not sure there really needs to be a need to classify or basically, label oneself.

But I'm sure there are lots of other people who think to same way, I did for most of my childhood and preteen years, then grew on to be more... idk, agnostic/athiest, then Satanist. I'm a wierd kid. lol
But I suppose Deist would describe it, general belief there is a God, but not really worshiping anyone or something.
I don't really believe there is a God personally, but I'll admit that if there was one, it would be a God that really didn't care about the little day to day happenings of us here on Earth. I think he/she'd get it all set up, and leave to go get high or something. lol

Also, when it comes to the sexist thing, I'm so glad someone else noticed that! The old testiment, and even the new one, is really quite sexist. But it's really just the age of time it was written, where women had zero rights, along with anyone that didn't fit into the perfect white man stereotype that lasted for so long.

Don't be afraid to come up with your own stuff if it makes sense to you. You don't have to believe in every little thing the bible says. The "am I going to hell?" threads on here are frankly, just starting to annoy me because Christianity has made so many people, adults, teens, even kids scared out of their minds becuase they think they're going to spend eternity in flames for doing something like... idk mastrabating!
Really... everyone pretty much has different views on issues like this, whether or not you'll go to hell or whatever. Since I'm pretty much the opposite of a Christian, I wouldn't know according to the bible. But really, just believe what you want, and screw the rest.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28

Re: Not sure what you would classify my "religion" as? - November 19th 2009, 08:28 PM

May I say one thing though... the part where you said God didn't get married? Why would God need to get married? I would like to hear your thoughts on this. I don't classify God as needing/can get married.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26

Re: Not sure what you would classify my "religion" as? - November 19th 2009, 08:32 PM

I was raised non practicing Roman Catholic so my family is kind of anti-religion. Both my parents and all their siblings were raised in church and Catholic school, but none of them decided to raise their kids that way. Anyway, I basically believe as you do. I know there is a God so I'm not agnostic I guess I consider myself Catholic or Christian with the exceptions of believeing being gay and comitting suicide are sins. My dad's friend converted to Catholicism and she also believes this way.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
MermaidMassacre Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Not sure what you would classify my "religion" as? - November 19th 2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHolyValorx View Post
May I say one thing though... the part where you said God didn't get married? Why would God need to get married? I would like to hear your thoughts on this. I don't classify God as needing/can get married.
Because, why not? He made an Eve for Adam why not a "insert name here" for God? Can he not have a woman up in higher power with him? I don't know.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
MermaidMassacre Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Not sure what you would classify my "religion" as? - November 19th 2009, 10:03 PM

Thanks all! I will go with Deist or just say I am my own religion. You're right, labeling is overrated. But again. Thanks. =)

(#10 (permalink)) Old
John 6:29 Offline
Romans 2:6-8
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 17,013, Level: 18 Points: 17,013, Level: 18 Points: 17,013, Level: 18

Re: Not sure what you would classify my "religion" as? - November 19th 2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlySin View Post
Soooo...

In advance, to any christians, or others that I may offend. I'm sorry. It's just my views. I don't mean to judge your God or anything like that. Since I will admit I don't pay attention in church or read the bible, so my insight may not be accurate. So just, sorry if I do.

Quick background:
  • My entire family is hardcore christian.
  • All my friends except my best friends are christians.
  • I grew up going to church and sunday school and loving it.
  • Eventually thought I was being forced into a religion, and questioned everything so eventually rebelled against it.
  • Because I am into vampires, and tend to wear black, my parents sometimes call me "the anti christ" "the devils spawn" but jokingly. Yet sometimes I wonder if they arn't.
  • I believe there is a "God", just not sure who or what it is. So mostly I believe there is a higher power.
  • If God is God and their is a higher power, I just chose not to go with it and worship it.
  • I don't really find the bible false, but I don't exactly read it and take it all in.
  • I tend to get easily annoyed when people seem to pressure their religion onto me.
  • I think there has to be another explaination for everything. Like all the creation theories.
  • I find some things wrong about the christian "God". Like, is he sexist? He never got married, and most of the higher powers in heaven are men. Also women have babies, and go through all the reproductive pain and all that. Also in the old testiment it is mentioned that the wife should honor her husband? Nothing about the husband honoring his wife. I found that ehhh. Then...with the gay and bi sexual stand point. I have heard that God is not so happy about all that. Since in the bible it states a man will marry a woman or something. Just little things like that bother me.
SO! Question time!

1. Just your opinion. What do you think my religion is? If I had to label it. Agnostic? Atheist? Christian? Or just my own thing?
2. If there is the christian "God" and I still believe the bible and he died for our sins and all that stuff, but just don't worship him. Am I going to "hell"?

Anyway, I know that was kinda long.

But any opinions or responses are appreciated. =)
Sounds to me like you want to believe in a god as you see God and not believe in what God is. It's like someone believing I have purple hair and pink eyes because they like the colors pink and purple. Just because you want God to be a certain way and fit in to your beliefs doesn't mean that is who God is. Somethings are hard to accept that I read in the Bible, but none the less I have to realize it is God and it is His universe, it is not up to me to define God but to find out who He is, not what I'd like Him to be.

Anyways to answer your questions:

1) You're not Christian because Christian is not a religion but a relationship with Christ. If you had a relationship with Christ, I believe you would feel differently about Him than you do... so more of your own thing.

2) Examine the ten commandments:

Is the God of the Bible your God?

Have you had any idols before God? Have you enjoyed searching pleasures for yourself more than seeking God? (we all are guilty of idolatry of self)

Have you taken His name in vain?

Have you kept the sabbath day holy? (another that I can guarantee almost everyone is guilty of)

Have you honored your father and mother? (another)

Have you murdered (if you've hated someone, you've committed murder in your heart -- we've all been angry with someone)?

Have you committed adultery (if you've lusted after anyone, you've committed adultery in your heart -- we've all lusted after a celebrity)?

Have you stolen? (we steal His air every breath with no intention of giving it back and we do not thank him for it)

Have you lied? (if you say no then congratulations on lying)

Have you coveted? (wanted anything really bad that your friend has -- goes hand in hand with stealing)

These are going to be your judge and if you've stumbled at one point you are guilty of all of them according to the book of James. Personally, I've broken every single commandment individually multiple times.

However, if you repent and put your faith in Jesus Christ trusting that He has inputted His righteousness into you and washed away all your sins and that now you are able to stand holy in front of God, and in your repentance produce more repentance for sins because you know that your sins have put to death God incarnate, then because of these things you will go to Heaven, if not hell is your destination and instead of being a Child of God you are a Child of God's wrath and need His forgiveness.

If you realized you've sinned and are going to hell because of this and in faith turn in repentance God will save you and when you experience this salvation you will not want to reject God. It's something that supernaturally happens at the point of salvation and just reading briefly about what you believe I would say that you have yet to experience this salvation. Read through 2 Peter and 1 John there are evidences of a believer.

You do not EARN your salvation by faithful attendance or worship. It is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ and by your faith you will WANT to repent of your sins and be faithful to the Lord and worship Him.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
blueraider0 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Alex Maslow

Points: 11,627, Level: 15 Points: 11,627, Level: 15 Points: 11,627, Level: 15

Re: Not sure what you would classify my "religion" as? - November 19th 2009, 11:31 PM

Before I read this: you don't have to classify your religion as anything. Now let me read it...

Aah, you make me long for the time before Christianity had completely taken over the world. I mean to say, you understand it is possible to believe in a God but not worship him. It is an interesting twist in what faith us. But moving on.

I would actually beg to correct you: the old testament commands a husband to honor his wife, and there are several manners in which a wife may divorce a husband. In Christian theology, that is not so. It is much more patriarchal.

As for the men in heaven, Jesus had 12 disciples who were all men. He also had the two Marys. So it stands to reckon most would be men, as Jesus mostly hung out with men. Jesus never married, I presume, to make three points. First, he travelled too much and wouldn't make a good husband. He also preached to love God completely - no room for romance. Further, Jesus believed the world would end soon "Truly I tell you that this generation will not taste death before the Kingdom of God has come," so why make more babies? The end is near!!!

The God of the Jews and the Muslims (what Catholics would refer to as "the Father") never married because, well, because God could not marry a mortal. And if God is alone, it isn't like there are any Goddesses he could marry.

I would go ahead and say you're a non-worshipping Christian. You believe in the Christian God but don't worship Him. I presume you don't believe in other Gods. But then, by mere definition, you would go to hell. If you believe in the God of the Bible as it is written, and you don't worship Him, that is the absolute definition of how one gets to hell. If you never knew, you might get away with it. If you didn't understand or didn't believe the Bible, you'd have at least a rational point. But if you believe it is all right, then why not take the next step? It is the same as being taught evolution, understanding it, believing it is right, and STILL insisting the Bible accurately depicts the creation of the world. You can choose not to believe evolution, but if you believe it but still act contrary to it, that is quite irrational.

For classifying, I'd say don't bother. Just be yourself and don't worry about labels.

Just keep fighting

"If you're going through hell..... keep going."

"There comes a moment in everyone's life when you must choose between resentment and joy. To be free again, joy must mean more to you than vengeance... Forgiveness is the best revenge, because when you forgive, it sets you free."

Can we find ethical insights from Lord of the Rings? You betcha!
Check out my blog: https://lotr-ethics.blogspot.com/ Updated weekly!
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Not sure what you would classify my "religion" as? - November 19th 2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraider0 View Post
Before I read this: you don't have to classify your religion as anything. Now let me read it...

Aah, you make me long for the time before Christianity had completely taken over the world. I mean to say, you understand it is possible to believe in a God but not worship him. It is an interesting twist in what faith us. But moving on.

I would actually beg to correct you: the old testament commands a husband to honor his wife, and there are several manners in which a wife may divorce a husband. In Christian theology, that is not so. It is much more patriarchal.

As for the men in heaven, Jesus had 12 disciples who were all men. He also had the two Marys. So it stands to reckon most would be men, as Jesus mostly hung out with men. Jesus never married, I presume, to make three points. First, he travelled too much and wouldn't make a good husband. He also preached to love God completely - no room for romance. Further, Jesus believed the world would end soon "Truly I tell you that this generation will not taste death before the Kingdom of God has come," so why make more babies? The end is near!!!

The God of the Jews and the Muslims (what Catholics would refer to as "the Father") never married because, well, because God could not marry a mortal. And if God is alone, it isn't like there are any Goddesses he could marry.

I would go ahead and say you're a non-worshipping Christian. You believe in the Christian God but don't worship Him. I presume you don't believe in other Gods. But then, by mere definition, you would go to hell. If you believe in the God of the Bible as it is written, and you don't worship Him, that is the absolute definition of how one gets to hell. If you never knew, you might get away with it. If you didn't understand or didn't believe the Bible, you'd have at least a rational point. But if you believe it is all right, then why not take the next step? It is the same as being taught evolution, understanding it, believing it is right, and STILL insisting the Bible accurately depicts the creation of the world. You can choose not to believe evolution, but if you believe it but still act contrary to it, that is quite irrational.

For classifying, I'd say don't bother. Just be yourself and don't worry about labels.
1) Jesus did preach on marriage.
2) "Soon" is coming from the mouth of an infinite being therefore His "soon" will seem much longer to a finite being. 1000 years is like a day to the Lord according to Peter. So technically in a sense only 2 days have passed since Christ.
3) Men were predominate in Jesus days because of society women did not have much say yet 2 women played in the roll of discovering Jesus' tomb, quite a pivotal role
4) Jesus is married to the Church, therefore there is no need for a bride.
5) The Bible teaches marriage is provided so that we may know the love that Christ has for the Church, if Christ already understands love than He does not need to marry.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
blueraider0 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Alex Maslow

Points: 11,627, Level: 15 Points: 11,627, Level: 15 Points: 11,627, Level: 15

Re: Not sure what you would classify my "religion" as? - November 20th 2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onion View Post
1) Jesus did preach on marriage.
2) "Soon" is coming from the mouth of an infinite being therefore His "soon" will seem much longer to a finite being. 1000 years is like a day to the Lord according to Peter. So technically in a sense only 2 days have passed since Christ.
3) Men were predominate in Jesus days because of society women did not have much say yet 2 women played in the roll of discovering Jesus' tomb, quite a pivotal role
4) Jesus is married to the Church, therefore there is no need for a bride.
5) The Bible teaches marriage is provided so that we may know the love that Christ has for the Church, if Christ already understands love than He does not need to marry.
Show me where 1 happens in the gospels. Not the writings of the disciples afterwards, but where Jesus says it.

2: That is a wholly subjective belief. It is just as possible that Jesus believed the world was ending at that time and was, as have been all doom-claimers, quite wrong.

3. The women who discovered Jesus' tombs were doing typical women things, that is, mourning the dead. Mother Mary was the ideal mother, and Mary Magdalene was a prostitute who turned from her ways. These two types of women appeared in the ancient world all the time. They never do anything particularly unusual.

4. That comes long after Jesus is dead. Originally, Jesus was just unmarried. Also, I think that's a Catholic belief. Not all Christians believe Jesus to be "married" to the Church.

5. A) Where is this said. B) Why doesn't Jesus need to learn what love is? C) Doesn't Jesus love all people? Why is he married to the Church anyway? D) I'm not quite sure how this is relevant to what I was saying anyway.

When examining the Bible, we need to seperate what Jesus says, what the disciples say Jesus says, and what the disciples, themselves, say. Paul probably did more to shape Christian theology than Jesus ever did.

Just keep fighting

"If you're going through hell..... keep going."

"There comes a moment in everyone's life when you must choose between resentment and joy. To be free again, joy must mean more to you than vengeance... Forgiveness is the best revenge, because when you forgive, it sets you free."

Can we find ethical insights from Lord of the Rings? You betcha!
Check out my blog: https://lotr-ethics.blogspot.com/ Updated weekly!
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Not sure what you would classify my "religion" as? - November 20th 2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraider0 View Post
Show me where 1 happens in the gospels. Not the writings of the disciples afterwards, but where Jesus says it.

2: That is a wholly subjective belief. It is just as possible that Jesus believed the world was ending at that time and was, as have been all doom-claimers, quite wrong.

3. The women who discovered Jesus' tombs were doing typical women things, that is, mourning the dead. Mother Mary was the ideal mother, and Mary Magdalene was a prostitute who turned from her ways. These two types of women appeared in the ancient world all the time. They never do anything particularly unusual.

4. That comes long after Jesus is dead. Originally, Jesus was just unmarried. Also, I think that's a Catholic belief. Not all Christians believe Jesus to be "married" to the Church.

5. A) Where is this said. B) Why doesn't Jesus need to learn what love is? C) Doesn't Jesus love all people? Why is he married to the Church anyway? D) I'm not quite sure how this is relevant to what I was saying anyway.

When examining the Bible, we need to seperate what Jesus says, what the disciples say Jesus says, and what the disciples, themselves, say. Paul probably did more to shape Christian theology than Jesus ever did.

1) Matthew 5, Matthew 19, Mark 10, Luke 16 for Jesus teachings on it and then its also discussed in 1 Peter 3, 1 Corinthians 7, and Ephesians 5. It's sparse throughout the new testament but in the Gospels Jesus talks about it.

2) Umm no, it's actually taught in 2 Peter 3

3) Back in society women have no validity in their claims, women counted as 1/3 of a man and it took two men to make a claim true, so if in fact the writers of the gospels were trying to brainwash people into believing there would have been 6 women and/or 2 men who arrived at the tomb first. So yes, it's quite extraordinary that two women found the empty tomb first -- imagine what society thought of these two when they were telling others that He has risen.

4) It is a Christian belief, I am baptist and several Churches I go to have taught it. Jesus never technically "died", after His resurrection He remained on the earth 40 days before His ascension. None the less is Jesus knew what love was there was no need for Him to be married if the relationship between Christ and the Church is supposed to be like a marriage relationship. Taught in Ephesians.

5) lol.... God is love. If in Ephesians marriage was designed that we may understand Christs love for the Church, than there was no need for Christ to marry if He understood what love for the Church was like. I'd have to do more studying on why He is married to the Church, but my guess there is a reason why is something to deal with God the Father desiring true worshippers, and I don't believe Christ is PHYSICALLY maried to the church, but it is used to describe His love and devotion that should be displayed in marriage so we have something to relate to and share with Christs love to understand Him better.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Points: 15,053, Level: 17 Points: 15,053, Level: 17 Points: 15,053, Level: 17

Re: Not sure what you would classify my "religion" as? - November 20th 2009, 01:27 AM

Agnostic Theist? That means you believe in a deity of some sort but you don't believe anyone really knows.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I've been here a while

Name: Basil!!!

Points: 17,727, Level: 19 Points: 17,727, Level: 19 Points: 17,727, Level: 19

Re: Not sure what you would classify my "religion" as? - November 20th 2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly88 View Post
I was raised non practicing Roman Catholic so my family is kind of anti-religion.
This made me laugh so much!
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Points: 27,365, Level: 23 Points: 27,365, Level: 23 Points: 27,365, Level: 23

Re: Not sure what you would classify my "religion" as? - November 21st 2009, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Sounds to me like you want to believe in a god as you see God and not believe in what God is. It's like someone believing I have purple hair and pink eyes because they like the colors pink and purple. Just because you want God to be a certain way and fit in to your beliefs doesn't mean that is who God is. Somethings are hard to accept that I read in the Bible, but none the less I have to realize it is God and it is His universe, it is not up to me to define God but to find out who He is, not what I'd like Him to be.
Why not? If you've never actually met the guy, and the entire thing is based on faith, why can't you give him the personality and ideas you think are correct and best for him to make you happy? Why does everyone in the Christian or God-believing religion have to think of God as the exact same God? You got your own thing going on and I respect that, but I think more Christians should feel free believe in what makes them happy, not what the bible and the church says is correct. I've met quite a few people who wish God were different, but can't see him any other way that what they've been brought up to believe through years and years of sunday school, church, and people telling them any other idea is wrong. I've met parents who do that to their poor kids.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Points: 48,277, Level: 31 Points: 48,277, Level: 31 Points: 48,277, Level: 31

Re: Not sure what you would classify my "religion" as? - November 21st 2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugez View Post
Classifying is overrated.
Completely agreed. Your beliefs don't need a name.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#19 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17

Re: Not sure what you would classify my "religion" as? - November 21st 2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Soooo...

You have no need to apologize for your beliefs. If your beliefs offend someone, then that is their problem not yours. They have their beliefs, you have yours and there's no reason to think you have to alter yours or not practice yours because it offends someone else.

Quote:
If you're unsure on it and cannot read their behaviors when they say it, then ask them. If your parents are loving and accepting of you, then all I can do is assume those names are meant to be not taken to heart.

Quote:
This part I'm confused on. You say that you believe a higher power of some sort exists yet you then say that if it actually does exist, you'll suddenly change your beliefs. Why?

Quote:
Perfectly acceptable. It may be a common belief but if you don't want to read it, then don't read it. There are many other religious texts and if you don't wish to read those, then that's fine, no foul no harm.

Quote:
This applies to pretty much everyone. You'll find that those who are pressuring you will get annoyed if you pressure them into your belief.

Quote:
There is: the theory of evolution.

Quote:
Before you begin to analyze parts of the bible, you must understand that when it was written, the social norms, laws and views were different from today's views. So if you apply today's views to the views when the bible was written, you will find many conflicts. I view that some of the parts of the bible are simply reflections or snapshots in time of what life was like back then. To me, if it says "god dislikes homosexuals", then I think "the people at that time disliked homosexuals" because to me, the people wrote the bible, the bible did not magically begin writing itself.

You can also look at more recent times and still find the obvious gender role dimorphism and part of that may be due to how many cultures had men as the hunters, the leaders and aggressive ones whereas women weren't. Do take note though that this isn't true in all cultures as some have it in reverse and some have it as equal.

For god not getting married, well, this can be explained very easily. The first thing to understand is that god is not viewed as a human and marriage is defined as occurring between humans. That's the easiest explanation. Another explanation is, if god were to get married (extend the definition to include higher powers), then who would he marry? The christian belief states there is only one god in its belief so if he were to get married, then there would need to be another higher power and this just throws the entire belief system out of sync.

Quote:

Atheists disbelieve in god (you believe in god). Agnostics are unsure on the existence of god (you are sure on it). Christians believe in their god and I'm assuming you don't. If you want to label yourself, then go with deist, however, what you call yourself is not important. What is important is understanding what you believe in. Labels are there in religion simply to bundle the views into discrete "packets" and so what you call your belief doesn't matter. If you want, call it the belief of Lord of Inflated Latex Gloves, doesn't matter what the label is.

Quote:
To go to hell or heaven you must believe in the belief pertaining to them. If you don't believe in it, then unless your belief has heaven and hell in it, you're not going there.
Closed Thread