TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: J.D.
Location: Hell and above, I'm everywhere, I'm the air you breathe and the shadow in the night

Points: 9,089, Level: 13 Points: 9,089, Level: 13 Points: 9,089, Level: 13

Question "Custom created" religion - April 23rd 2011, 03:45 PM

OK. For a while I tried a many vast amount of spiritualities from Christianity, Buddhism, LaVeyan Satanism, to Unitarian Universalism.
Seeing that none of them worked for me and made it hard for me to get with the program, per say. I decided to be agnostic for a while until one night I had a really deep dream on spirituality and after that I immediately began forming a new spiritual path for myself, I even made a code and everything. I know this all sounds strange and somewhat stupid but after that dream my views have changed and it all equaled up to me forming a new polytheistic pagan hybrid religion I call Drellicism.
But since the forming of this new path for me which I do not force on anyone else just openly express my spiritual beliefs. I have received about 100 threats and attempts of people trying to convert me or conspire against me labeling me the Anti-christ. Also I fear speaking of it in front of my parents due to their Christian bound values and their opinions of other world religions (hateful).
I want to hear anyones opinions on this, anyone else made their own religion for themselves and how has that worked out. Also if you do follow one of the major world religions or something else how has it helped you?

Love you all
J.D
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Points: 20,821, Level: 20 Points: 20,821, Level: 20 Points: 20,821, Level: 20

Re: "Custom created" religion - April 23rd 2011, 04:43 PM

Hey. It sounds pretty cool. I know that a lot of people do kinda piece together a religion out of their beliefs. I don't know how many do it to the same extent, but people definitely do it.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
NonIndigenous Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25

Re: "Custom created" religion - April 23rd 2011, 06:33 PM

I think what you've achieved in fact is inspiring. I don't think that I myself will ever believe in any specific religion that already exists, not properly. Bits maybe. I don't see myself as religious but I still have beliefs (everyone does). The difference here is you've given it a name, and it's actually good. It makes it sound like you know yourself pretty well, really. Good job

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Location: Hell and above, I'm everywhere, I'm the air you breathe and the shadow in the night

Re: "Custom created" religion - April 23rd 2011, 07:38 PM

Thank you both Hop-Fuh-Rah (gods bless)
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
MorganLeFay Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,321, Level: 13 Points: 8,321, Level: 13 Points: 8,321, Level: 13

Re: "Custom created" religion - April 23rd 2011, 07:59 PM

If you think about it, all religions must have started somewhere. I can't believe you have received so many threats! I've never found a religion that I completely agree with so I think your solution is fantastic.

I feel that paganism is the closest religion to me but I still don't follow it 100%. I don't personally agree with organised religion as I don't think anyone ever has exactly the same ideas and beliefs, and this has lead to so many disputes and wars which were unnecessary.

If your parents are so against anything non-christian then my advice would be to keep it to yourself for now. I have times where I want to tell everyone what I believe but other times its nice to keep it to myself. If you really want them to know about your path then be prepared for their reaction. I have heard of some families disowning their children because of a difference in faith (another reason why I dislike organised religion) but those are obviously extreme cases.

I am intrigued by your personal path so if you ever want to talk about it feel free to message me. Good luck.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
I can't get enough

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28

Re: "Custom created" religion - April 23rd 2011, 09:21 PM

I'm technically a Christian, but when I don't agree with something I go with my gut, giving me a tailored version of my original faith. Being LGBT, it's hard to follow Christianity to the letter.

Most people tailor their faith in some way or another, so completely forming a new one seems like the next logical step. Just believe in what you want to believe in.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Points: 38,917, Level: 28 Points: 38,917, Level: 28 Points: 38,917, Level: 28

Re: "Custom created" religion - April 24th 2011, 12:24 AM

Go for it. There's no more evidence for religions like Islam and Christianity than there is for yours! If it's a philosophy you're happy to live by, go for it.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Points: 14,618, Level: 17 Points: 14,618, Level: 17 Points: 14,618, Level: 17

Re: "Custom created" religion - April 24th 2011, 09:01 PM

Sometimes, the religions out there just aren't the ones for some people.

There isn't anything wrong with creating your own spiritual path, I mix Paganism with Spiritual Satanism. I see myself as being equally light and dark, so might as well have some light and dark Gods to worship.

Good luck!

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Points: 27,365, Level: 23 Points: 27,365, Level: 23 Points: 27,365, Level: 23

Re: "Custom created" religion - April 24th 2011, 10:43 PM

I'm a Satanic Buddhist. it is basically what the name states, a mix between modern Satanism (LaVeyan) and some aspects of Buddhism. I dunno, I like it. I think it fits me to a T. It's hard to explain to people, so I usually just keep quiet. But it's not like I'd lie about it.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Points: 38,917, Level: 28 Points: 38,917, Level: 28 Points: 38,917, Level: 28

Re: "Custom created" religion - April 24th 2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pepper View Post
I'm a Satanic Buddhist. it is basically what the name states, a mix between modern Satanism (LaVeyan) and some aspects of Buddhism. I dunno, I like it. I think it fits me to a T. It's hard to explain to people, so I usually just keep quiet. But it's not like I'd lie about it.
I'm interested, would you care to have a go at explaining?
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Points: 27,365, Level: 23 Points: 27,365, Level: 23 Points: 27,365, Level: 23

Re: "Custom created" religion - April 25th 2011, 01:41 AM

I mean, Theologically I don't really believe in anything. I suppose technically I'm part Atheist But I sort of combine the 9 satanic statements, 11 rules of the earth, and nine satanic sins into the four noble truths, the noble eightfold path, and the middle way.
Yes, I'm aware there are some, if not a lot of contradictions with Buddhism and Satanism, seeing as one is often very peaceful, and the other not, but I'm a VERY contradicting person and it quite works for me. In it's own odd way

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 20,175, Level: 20 Points: 20,175, Level: 20 Points: 20,175, Level: 20

Re: "Custom created" religion - April 25th 2011, 03:54 AM

I have tried most of the world religions and acutally that all believe in the same rough idea.

but i do believe in the idea of Fate or Destiny were there is a fixed natural order to the cosmos.

But i do think its cool you found your own path and id kinda like to hear more about your path in this so feel free to message me and tell me all about it
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Infinite Offline
astronaut
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nicolle

Points: 9,243, Level: 14 Points: 9,243, Level: 14 Points: 9,243, Level: 14

Re: "Custom created" religion - May 3rd 2011, 08:41 PM

Absolutely! My entire family is Christian and tried to force feed me their beliefs (brainwash much?) but I never, ever believed it. I think all religions have some truth, but have been distorted in one way or another. I am never going to be any religion, just have some beliefs/philosophies. I agree that organized religion has divided people and caused wars that spanned the centuries. It's good that you aren't brainwashed and blindly following one religion (no offense to anyone) I say go for it!

Our lives are not our own.
From womb to tomb, we are bound to others.
Past and present.
And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.
sonmi 451

twitter // tumblr

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: "Custom created" religion - May 4th 2011, 04:57 AM

I'm interested in hearing what Drellicism is as well as if its name has any meaning or if it's something conjured up to sound fancy.

I've dabbled in various religions and philosophies, from Christianity to agnostic theism to agnostic atheism to atheism to LaVeyan Satanism to theistic Satanism to atheism to theological non-cognitivism and so forth. In the end, I abide by a mix in that I'm strongly atheistic however I have strong interests (and debating about practices) with theistic Satanism. It's a philosophy that is still in the works but another philosophy I have is best summarized by an picture I have framed on my wall of this:

The text is a bit small but it says:

RISK. Do not follow the common path. Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

For those who threaten and oppose you, welcome their statements as further motivation. When someone says "you cant do this", I always use that statement to motivate me even alongside my internal motivations.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,677, Level: 46 Points: 106,677, Level: 46 Points: 106,677, Level: 46

Re: "Custom created" religion - May 8th 2011, 02:33 AM

I see nothing wrong with it. I feel that religion/spirituality is a very personal thing, so whatever feels right for you is probably what is right for you. I mix bits from different religions as well.

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: "Custom created" religion - May 11th 2011, 12:05 AM

thank you all for being so supportive. Your advice has helped a lot, if you need anything explained just ask. I will pray for you all,
Hopfurah (gods bless)

LoneWolfintheWind (John)
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Points: 60,921, Level: 35 Points: 60,921, Level: 35 Points: 60,921, Level: 35

Re: "Custom created" religion - May 11th 2011, 04:55 PM

Since John seems happy with the responses to this thread, I'm going to go ahead and close it now. If anyone has any questions or wants the thread re-opened then please feel free to PM me.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.
Closed Thread