TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
This Time I'll Make You Proud.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Points: 15,435, Level: 18 Points: 15,435, Level: 18 Points: 15,435, Level: 18

Mixed Religion? - September 12th 2011, 02:14 AM

So I've done research to define what my religion is because I am kind of doubtful that there is really a God, so I decided that I'm Agnostic, because what I have found out is that Agnosticism is being in doubt (I may be wrong, correct me if I am). And then I may be Wiccan because my mom is into like herbs used as spells and burning sage to "clean" the house of any bad spirits and I occasionally see ghosts or what I see as a ghost and sometimes I feel like my uncle is there with me watching over me. And there was this time when I thought I heard my dog run across the board we have outside but when I looked outside she wasn't out there. (we had put down one of our dogs and buried him outside my bedroom window.)
So I do believe I am Agnostic and Wiccan.
What do you think?

"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Mixed Religion? - September 12th 2011, 03:09 AM

I know very little about Wicca so I'm going to let someone else who believes and practices in it to answer that part of your post.

As for agnosticism, it's more of a philosophy as opposed to a religion. There are different types of agnosticism, one of which is agnostic atheism and it states there MAY be no god, thereby allowing, although doubtful, for a god to exist. Alternatively, there's pragmatic agnosticism, which does not concern itself with answering whether a god may or may not exist. Instead, it suggests if a god exists, it doesn't give a crap about people so there's no use in believing in one since nothing will come out of it. There are other types but I think it's best for you to look them up online instead of adhering to whatever label some anonymous person on the Internet posts.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Points: 14,618, Level: 17 Points: 14,618, Level: 17 Points: 14,618, Level: 17

Re: Mixed Religion? - September 12th 2011, 04:39 AM

Your mother practicing Witchcraft doesn't mean you're Wiccan. It doesn't mean she is Wiccan either, it just means she practices Witchcraft. Not all Witches are Wiccans, and not all Wiccans are Witches.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Points: 60,921, Level: 35 Points: 60,921, Level: 35 Points: 60,921, Level: 35

Re: Mixed Religion? - September 12th 2011, 09:57 AM

It's really great that you're looking more into your faith to work out what you really believe, well done!
One thing I want to question, though; As far as I'm aware Agnostic generally means that you don't believe or disbeileve in a deity, and should suitable evidence present itself, you'll be happy enough to believe it. (I might be wrong, so don't quote me on that.) I'm struggling to understand how you can follow a religion (which primarily means belief in some sort of deity since that's what religion is all about) and yet still be Agnostic. Maybe I misunderstood, can you explain it a little more?

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Mixed Religion? - September 12th 2011, 10:55 PM

Nick, I know that not all people have the same religion/faith as their parents, grandparents, etc. But I do believe in the spirits and herbs and whatnot.
Louise, I know Agnostic is basically a doubt of a deity so therefore yes it can be hard to understand how you can follow a religion when your religion consist of not believing or being in doubt of a deity. Sorry if that's confusing
I don't know any other way of explaining it as I am only 13 and don't know a whole lot on religion ahaha

"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Points: 14,618, Level: 17 Points: 14,618, Level: 17 Points: 14,618, Level: 17

Re: Mixed Religion? - September 13th 2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonxNinjas View Post
Nick, I know that not all people have the same religion/faith as their parents, grandparents, etc. But I do believe in the spirits and herbs and whatnot.
A belief in spirits, herbs, and "whatnot", still doesn't make you Wiccan. It's much more than that, way more. It's a deeply rooted belief system and way of life.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

Last edited by Sythan; September 13th 2011 at 02:02 AM.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Mixed Religion? - September 13th 2011, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymnophoria View Post

One thing I want to question, though; As far as I'm aware Agnostic generally means that you don't believe or disbeileve in a deity, and should suitable evidence present itself, you'll be happy enough to believe it. (I might be wrong, so don't quote me on that.) I'm struggling to understand how you can follow a religion (which primarily means belief in some sort of deity since that's what religion is all about) and yet still be Agnostic. Maybe I misunderstood, can you explain it a little more?
I'll give it a shot although I'm not the OP. Part of the confusion is because the OP is using the word, "religion". I'll use the definition you provided to keep things simple. Agnosticism is not a religion, instead it is a philosophy. For example, agnostic theism follows the logic that someone can believe in a god(s), acknowledge that belief is true BUT it is "unknowable" as to whether it is factually true. Keep in mind, agnostic theism is just one branch of agnosticism, there are others so depending which one the OP adheres to, their logic may be different. Thus, the definition you gave of agnosticism is not a fully-accepted one. However, regardless of which branch, agnosticism is not a religion (again using your definition), it is a philosophy. A type of agnosticism that would not fit with your definition is pragmatic agnosticism. Alternatively, fideism is a philosophy that some agnostics (as well as non-agnostics) may adhere to and it also does not fit with the definition you gave. I'm not sure if there are any such users on here that do.

In other words, philosophy and religion are different but the OP is not recognizing the difference, which makes her logic confusing. Perhaps she has a different definition of religion, although the one you provided is probably the most dominant one. It lacks a few details but I'm over-looking that.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Last edited by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!; September 13th 2011 at 02:53 AM.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Mixed Religion? - September 13th 2011, 11:06 PM

^ what he said lollolol. I'm sorry obviously I'm too young to understand how to explain these things

- Bert McCracken
Closed Thread