TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Work, Studying and Learning If you're having issues at work or trying to learn something new, this is a forum for question and support.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Work, internship and self care - April 18th 2021, 08:15 AM

I'll be starting an internship next year and once I go to Grad school I'll have to do an internship as well. The one next year will be about 20 hours a week. I also work 40 hours a week. Has anyone else managed an internship, full time work and being able to do self care activities to de-stress.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19

Re: Work, internship and self care - April 18th 2021, 04:35 PM

I'll be in the same situation as you when I'm in grad school next year, so I'm interested to see what others say. However, I have a bit of experience with this in the sense that, up until about 2019 I have always worked 3-4 jobs to make ends meet. I would work my "full-time" job which would be about 4-10 hours a day depending (it was an awful environment and unknown schedule, 10/10 do not recommend) then once I left there some days I would go home to do my virtual assistant work, or go to the office of my therapist friend where I would do her bookeeping/admin work, or go to the university to proctor (before or after work) for about 4-8 hours depending. I worked all of these jobs 6-7 days a week, I had absolutely no time for myself.

It was a necessity at the time to work this much, but I definitely started to take notice of burn-out and it's effects on me and slowly started to schedule more time for myself, without impacting my work commitments (as I couldn't afford to adjust my schedules). I found it really helpful to do block scheduling, here's a quick breakdown.
That allowed me to prioritize my work schedule while also physically setting aside time for my self-care and personal needs.

I kind of gave up block scheduling when I got a full-time job 3 years ago that had a set schedule (and better pay) and went down to only doing my freelance content writing and virtual assisting in a more relaxed way - taking on projects when I know i have the time, or small projects that are easy to complete in an hour or two. That worked for me for a while, but I've found myself falling back into the habit of prioritizing work, other people's needs, etc over my own again and feeling some burnout from working in healthcare during the pandemic so I'm considering starting to use this technique again. It will also get me back into the rhythm of things for when I start school in January and need to prioritize my school commitments on top of my work ones.

Stacey
Original join date: 27th September, 2004.
HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Work, internship and self care - April 25th 2021, 10:11 PM

I'm in a similar situation to you, but I am balancing different things. Currently I have an internship, school, my health and a few others. Next year I will be starting grad school as well.

I think it's a bit different for everyone, but I do try to fit things in when I can. For instance, sometimes I get a burst of energy at a weird time, like late at night. I'll find something to use it for. Maybe I have twenty minutes between an appointment and a Zoom call for my internship. I can use that few minutes to answer emails or check my grades.

I do prioritize my assignments for school, see what is due first, or what is more important. My internship follows. I work with three people for my internship so I prioritize that and also look at who I last worked with.

I don't have any specific scheduling but for a while I did schoolwork on certain days of the week, like Monday-Thursday and did other tasks the last few days of the week. Someone I know gets their assignments done before the weekend. So, even if they have to work one of their jobs they at least can count on those two days a week when he doesn't have to do school assignments. I might go back to this as I find it helpful.

A big thing for me is not doing assignments after a certain time at night (if I can help it). It gives me an hour or two to unwind and do one of my hobby activities. I still check my emails and stuff like that but I try not to do any assignments or anything like that.

As for self-care I rely on the little things, like freshly washed sheets on my bed, maybe a new body wash or a few minutes longer to do my hair. Maybe it's a face mask or a favorite food.

Best of luck with grad school, your internship and work. You'll have to tell me about it throughout the process.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Work, internship and self care - April 26th 2021, 03:36 AM

Thank you both for the suggestions and ideas. I am hoping that I will be able to figure out some type of schedule once it all starts. I know I will start getting more information about the internship sometime in June. I think I will put together my resume and all that. I am hoping that finding a compatible internship won't be hard. I know that a lot of the people in the program will need night/weekend internships but I am hoping my resume will be competitive enough that I will be able to find some.
Closed Thread