TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
brokensmilexx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sara

Points: 13,307, Level: 16 Points: 13,307, Level: 16 Points: 13,307, Level: 16

Exclamation I'm pregnant..now what ?!! - June 4th 2015, 06:27 PM

So I took a pregancy test two days ago and it was positive, and then did another one today and it was positive as well. I know I need to go to the Dr to do a blood test orwhatever but they are closed until Monday and I am just very shocked.
Is there anything I should be doing right now? How long does it take till you know your baby is healthy and growing?
I'm so nervous. This was not planned and I am realizing now this is a life changer..

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

"Live your life and risk it all
take some chances, take the fall
take your time, no need to hurry
have some fun, and never worry ♥"
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26

Re: I'm pregnant..now what ?!! - June 4th 2015, 07:52 PM

First of all, congratulations!

You should get on some prenatal vitamins. They sell them at any grocery store or pharmacy.

Waiting until Monday for the blood test will be fine. Just keep hydrated, don't exert yourself and refrain from alcohol and drugs.

If you have any questions, please free free to contact me.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: I'm pregnant..now what ?!! - June 4th 2015, 10:43 PM

Hey there,

This is definitely life changing but it could be a good thing. Some people who weren't expecting children for some time ended up getting pregnant and would say it was a huge blessing. So, with that being said, I want to congratulate you. Whatever decision you make in regards to this pregnancy you have to remember to do what is best for you.

I agree that you should get on some prenatal vitamins. I know those are an important part of pregnancy.

Having to wait till Monday, or a few days after that shouldn't be a problem. I would assume that once they confirm the pregnancy they will schedule/refer you to a gynecologist who will be able to help you through the pregnancy. They'll be able to help you determine if the baby is healthy and things like that.

I hope that this helped and if you need anything feel free to message me.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Just Peachy. Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36

Re: I'm pregnant..now what ?!! - June 5th 2015, 04:29 AM

Well hello there,

You're definitely right about it being a life changer. I just turned 23, and I know that if I were pregnant that would literally be a turning point in my life. I have a friend that is your age who found out she was pregnant five months ago. She was partying every weekend, making unsafe choices, and overall- not going places. Since she's been pregnant she has turned her life around. She talks about being pregnant as a blessing, and a good wake up call. Perhaps you can take the good from this, because even though you weren't expecting this, great things can come from it.

Once you go to the doctor and they can verify that you are pregnant, they will be able to determine how far a long you are. You'll then go to appointments where they will track your child's growth and development.

In the mean time, try not to stress too much about it. I agree with Lizzie- taking pre-natals is something you should consider doing. It would be a good idea not to partake in drinking/smoking/drug use, as well. Once you see a doctor, they can answer your questions a bit further in depth.

Take care

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: I'm pregnant..now what ?!! - June 5th 2015, 09:16 PM

You can get prenatal vitamins over the counter at many grocery stores and pharmacies. Taking them even if you aren't pregnant is not harmful, I know this because I have seen/heard multiple times that many women try to plan ahead by taking the vitamins ahead of time to build up the necessary amount, I don't think it is critical, it's just encouraged for women who are planning a family. Any who, my point is that the vitamin is perfectly safe to take at any point during a pregnancy (even before hand), so I'd start there.

It'll be ok to wait until Monday to get the formal pregnancy test. I know that finding out you are unexpectedly pregnant must be causing a lot of anxiety, but you must be early in the pregnancy so a matter of a few days won't make a huge difference (unless, of course, you are smoking, using drugs, drinking alcohol, etc., which you should discontinue). I think that a little coffee is ok, but I'd limit the caffeine.

It'll be ok. And congratulations, having a baby is a wonderful thing.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
hopefuldreamer Offline
lost in wonderland
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Tonya

Points: 11,294, Level: 15 Points: 11,294, Level: 15 Points: 11,294, Level: 15

Re: I'm pregnant..now what ?!! - June 5th 2015, 09:43 PM

Congratulations! I agree with everyone above that you should start a prenatal vitamin and waiting until Monday for a blood test should be just fine. Also some things you should know you need to try to cut out caffeine also avoid sushi and cold cut meats. These are just a few of the things your doctor will advise you of. Get plenty of rest and stay hydrated. Avoid lifting anything heavy especially lifting above your head. If you have any questions or would like to know more about what to expect feel free to message me. Best of luck!

Buddy since 11/17/12 Live Help Operator since 1/27/13 HelpLINK Mentor since 6/30/13
Email: tgentry7712@gmail.com send me an email if you want to.

Tumblr ecaepevolhgualevil
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
brokensmilexx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I'm pregnant..now what ?!! - June 6th 2015, 11:58 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind words I really appreciate it. I bought some prenatal vitamins and cutting back on my bad habits. Unfortunately I am a smoker but am trying my best to quit. Once I find out If I am 100% pregnant I will quit smoking cold turkey. I'm not smoking as much as I did before, I know I shouldn't be at all.
I'm so nervous Gaah.
Thanks again

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Just Peachy. Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36

Re: I'm pregnant..now what ?!! - June 7th 2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensmilexx View Post
Thanks everyone for the kind words I really appreciate it. I bought some prenatal vitamins and cutting back on my bad habits. Unfortunately I am a smoker but am trying my best to quit. Once I find out If I am 100% pregnant I will quit smoking cold turkey. I'm not smoking as much as I did before, I know I shouldn't be at all.
I'm so nervous Gaah.
Thanks again

I don't obviously advise smoking, but it's really good you have cut back. I'm also glad to hear that you plan on quitting completely once you have an 100% ys on being pregnant. My mom smoked at the early early stages of being pregnant with me, and so as long as you do quit if you are, that should be fine. But if you can completely stop smoking until you know for sure, that'd be more ideal

Being nervous is completely normal given the situation you're in at the moment! Do something relaxing, like get a pedicure or watch some Netflix. I know that doesn't calm the nerves, but it's relaxing, and feels good. Let us know what the results are!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
brokensmilexx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I'm pregnant..now what ?!! - June 10th 2015, 06:40 PM

Well.. the test came back positive. I am still very early in so won't be seeing the Dr for a few weeks I guess. I have thrown my cigarettes away. Now I need to get rid of my weed ): this is very very hard.. but it's for the best I guess.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Points: 26,681, Level: 23 Points: 26,681, Level: 23 Points: 26,681, Level: 23

Re: I'm pregnant..now what ?!! - June 11th 2015, 10:56 PM

Hey Sara,

It's great that you realise you need to make these changes during pregnancy. It's important that you take care of both your life and your baby's. I wish you the best of luck and please let us know how your pregnancy is going.

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: I'm pregnant..now what ?!! - June 13th 2015, 11:08 PM

I'd talk to your doctor about your smoking habits and come up with a plan for quitting. Depending on how much you're smoking, quitting cold turkey may not be the easiest choice, and there may be just as healthy options that will still protect your baby.

Is motherhood something that you want in your life right now? You expressed shock and that it was unplanned, but did not specify what you exactly wanted. Early on in a pregnancy, you do have time to think of other options, such as putting your child up for adoption or abortion. These choices can be based on your previous life plans but also your financial state, how much support you have from your family and partner, etc. While being a mother is absolutely a beautiful part of many people's lives, it is something that you have the choice whether or not you want to do and at what time. You need to do what is best for you, and a child offers a wonderful opportunity to start a new life and a family, but there are ways to turn your life around and live your dreams. It's your life, and we're here to guide you through any decision you choose to make.

something burning?
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread