TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity This forum is for you to explore your sexuality and identity, whatever that may be.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xskylarrose Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sky

Points: 7,939, Level: 13 Points: 7,939, Level: 13 Points: 7,939, Level: 13

Being comfortable in my school/Meeting other LGBT kids - July 8th 2011, 03:12 AM

I recently came out as bisexual to my friends and the majority of them were really cool with it. My huge worry is going back to school in August and having to deal with everyone else. I'm now the only out person at my school that I know of (the only other was a gay boy who just graduated). I'm not sure what to do now because I'm not ashamed of who I am but I don't want to feel that way when I go back to school. My school isn't very accepting and I'm nervous/scared.

Also, with my school being very closed minded there aren't a lot go LGBT people. Our GSA is nonexistent and I would really like to meet more people in my area. Anyone have any ideas how to do this?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Terry Offline
Canadian Bacon
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Terry

Points: 13,364, Level: 16 Points: 13,364, Level: 16 Points: 13,364, Level: 16

Re: Being comfortable in my school/Meeting other LGBT kids - July 8th 2011, 03:29 AM

I thought it'd be a huge deal when I came out, too, but honestly I don't remember a single person ever even bringing it up (aside from friends, and not in any negative ways), people don't really care who you are into, at least they shouldn't. If it does become a problem and need some one to talk to, there are several users including myself who wouldn't mind you shooting a PM our way.

As for groups I wouldn't know, our school didn't either and there weren't any groups outside of it either since I come from a very small town. I guess making other lgbt friends online might be an option, if you can't find any groups nearby? Grats on being comfortable enough to come out!

Self pity will not rescue you.
Sometimes we have to save our own lives,
not because no one else cares, but because no one else can.

Life for you has been less than kind
So take a number, stand in line
We've all been sorry, we've all been hurt
But how we survive is what makes us who we are.

Dreamed up the maps, give me the charcoal and the paper
We invent paths they cannot see, and they're too scared to walk

Only after disaster can we be resurrected. It's only after you've lost everything that you are free to do anything.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,677, Level: 46 Points: 106,677, Level: 46 Points: 106,677, Level: 46

Re: Being comfortable in my school/Meeting other LGBT kids - July 9th 2011, 01:04 AM

Hey Sky.

When I came out, it was during the holidays, and I worried about what people would say when we went back to school. And you know what happened? Nothing. Nobody even batted an eye. So what I'm saying is, it's probably not going to be as bad as you think. The best thing you can do is act naturlly. If people do start talking, then it sounds like you'll have your friends for support, which is good. And besides, August is a long way away, and chances are people may not even remember, or will have grown past their initial shock, so you'll probably be fine. Just be proud of who you are, and don't mind anyone who tells you otherwise. Your school also (I hope) would have some kind of anti-bullying policy, which should protect you a bit.

As for meeting people, I'm afraid there's not much you can do. Chances are you're not the only non-straight person there, but you're just more open than most. Perhaps some people may take your example, and, seeing that nothing bad has happened to you, come out too. If there are no specific LGBT groups nearby, you could try joining other groups - like youth groups or sports groups - because they're good ways to meet people, and, statistically, some are bound to be 'not so straight'.

I wish you all the best.

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
xskylarrose Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sky

Points: 7,939, Level: 13 Points: 7,939, Level: 13 Points: 7,939, Level: 13

Re: Being comfortable in my school/Meeting other LGBT kids - July 9th 2011, 03:01 AM

Thank you guys!
I have actually found a LGBT support type group in my area and my parents and I are going to check it out next week. I'm really excited!
As for my school having a non-bullying policy, I'm sure there is one but it never gets enforced. I have been bullied countless times to the point when I didn't feel comfortable being in the school and nothing was ever done. I'm still a little nervous about going back to school, but I think I'll be fine. I'm still Sky, I just like girl and boys haha
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Points: 20,821, Level: 20 Points: 20,821, Level: 20 Points: 20,821, Level: 20

Re: Being comfortable in my school/Meeting other LGBT kids - July 9th 2011, 04:41 AM

I agree with what has been said. My school is pretty accepting, but I was still worried like hell. I had previously been very ashamed of who I was, and very scared of what others might think. One night, I decided that maybe, just maybe, things would be better if I decided to stop hiding myself. So I posted "I am bisexual" on facebook. Within 30 seconds, I have at least one or two friends posting very encouraging and supportive comments. I got to school the next day, being fully ready for someone to stop being friends with me or verbally attack me the second I walked in the door. And what happened? Not a thing. All I got was support and encouragement and expression of pride from my friends. That was all. My self-hatred and fear was largely over with. As others have said, it is very unlikely that it will be anywhere near as bad as you think, and if it is, there are SO many people willing to help you. I think you will soon discover that love from a few people, can very easily outweigh hatred, or fear of hatred, from many others. Anybody who hates you for being bisexual is:
A) ignorant B) not worth your time and C) likely afraid that they fit into LGB or T as well. Don't even think about those people for a second! They don't matter. Who you love is a preference just as anything else is. Don't let anybody bother you about that.

Making fun of you for liking both genders is like making fun of somebody for liking both computer operating systems or two different flavors of ice cream. It's utterly stupid.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17
Closed Thread