TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Article Tools Search this Article Rate Article

Old
Rate Article
Help For Writing Argument Essays
by Rob May 22nd 2009, 11:26 PM

Help For Writing Argument Essays
By TheDragon

This just is mainly advice I want to try and hand out for writing a good essay. These are just some points I've picked up along my learning journey.

1. Know Your Story or Question

It's actually been proven that about 3/4 of children doing higher education (not college or university) do not actually read questions. Always make sure to read the question and to understand what they are asking. If they want you to construct an argument then be sure to talk about for and against. When constructing an essay always have a start, a middle, and an end. Introduce what you are going to talk/write about, then explain your points, and finally end with a concluding paragraph.

2. Knowing What To Write

Normally you think "what do I write for this, it's totally confusing". Well it's easy if you know how. Normally essays come in three styles, an argument, an essay (creative or not), and a speech/letter/other formal things.

For writing an argument, you should use this approach;

Definition
Application
Conclusion

(Though this approach is handy for a lot of writing assignments)

Define what you are arguing for or against (or both), this will help your teacher or examiner know what you are about to explain. Then apply the knowledge you know, or any research information you know that could be useful and could get you points, then conclude with your own opinions and views.

For an essay, start by defining your story through an introduction, if it creative, bring in any characters of plots. Then progress the story and begin to advance it, add in more detail, use application of what you want the reader to know, and try and drag the reader in and not let them escape, using a thesaurus is always handy if you need new words. Then end your essay with the conclusion (or end of the plot). Though if you can't think of a good conclusion, ending on a cliffhanger is a good way to escape this and leave the reader wanting more

Formal essays are the hardest, these all vary, but normally just keep your writing polite and formal, try to say "can not" rather than "can't" and if you are writing to anyone, add "Sir" or "Madam".

3. Have Fun

You need to have faith in your essay, it is a work of art, if you do it while bored and tired then this will show through on the page. Take interest in what you do and I can assure you that the reader will enjoy it more.

Well, I hope I can have helped someone at least with writing an essay, I know this information has helped me through the years, so I just wanted to share.
Views 1456 Comments 0
Total Comments 0

Comments