TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Article Tools Search this Article Rate Article

Old
'Assassin's Apprentice' by Robin Hobb: A review
by TeenHelp August 9th 2021, 11:15 PM

'Assassin's Apprentice' by Robin Hobb: A review
By Sue (Matter)

Ever wondered what dragons, standing stones, politics and jester’s prophecies have in common?

If I got you interested, you’re about to find out about one of the best fantasy novels ever written.

The topic of this review is a 1995 Robin Hobb’s novel ‘Assassin’s Apprentice’, which is the first book in The Farseer Trilogy. It follows the story of a prince’s bastard son, Fitz Chivalry, and is written through his eyes beginning with his very first childhood memories. As a young man Fitz begins his assassin apprenticeship and is soon thrown into the cruel world of politics and intrigues. He slowly learns that not everything is really as it seems, and the long-gone legendary ancestors of his people may have a lot more influence on his life than he used to think.

Robin Hobb’s novel is a perfect combination of sword-fighting, noble balls, dragons and prophecies and magic, but also treats of failure and coping with it, of friendship and betrayal, of great deeds and dashed hopes. Hobb describes all the events vividly, using flowery language, striking metaphors and rich vocabulary.

A compelling story, three-dimensional characters and the author’s brilliant writing makes ‘Assassin’s Apprentice’ a fantasy masterpiece. I read the Farseer’s Trilogy thrice: for the first time when I was only 13 years old. I fell in love with the books then, but they are by no means children’s books: every time I read them, I looked at them with a different perspective, from a different point in life. And I believe I will never cease to learn life lessons from Robin Hobb’s novels.
Views 2144 Comments 1
Total Comments 1

Comments

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: 'Assassin's Apprentice' by Robin Hobb: A review - August 9th 2021, 11:30 PM

I am hoping to pick this up this month! Wish me luck as I have a never ending TBR