TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Article Tools Search this Article Rate Article

Old
Hocus Pocus 2: A review
by TeenHelp October 16th 2022, 07:16 AM

Hocus Pocus 2: A review
By Cassie (cynefin)

Hocus Pocus 2 was released on Disney+ on September 30th, 2022. It was long awaited by fans as it was released 29 years after the original in 1993. The trio of evil witches known as the Sanderson sisters (Bette Midler as Winifred, Sarah Jessica Parker as Sarah and Kathy Najimy as Mary) made their return to Salem, Massachusetts, after their previous visit in 1993. Zombie Billy Butcherson (Doug Jones), the man Winifred once shared a kiss with, also returned.

The Sanderson sisters were hanged in the 1600s after harming a child to steal her youth. Before they were hanged, they cast a curse stating that all three sisters would return if a virgin lit the black flame candle in their home on Halloween. The premise of the second movie is like the original in that a few teenagers light a candle and bring the Sanderson sisters back. Both movies show a few scenes of the teens in school or interacting with those around them to establish the plotline.

In this movie, Becca turns 16 on Halloween. She and a few friends have spent the last decade doing a nighttime Halloween birthday ritual each year, but only one friend joins her this year. The two accidentally bring the Sanderson sisters back and they spend the movie trying to save the town from impending danger.

There are early scenes which show some of what the Sanderson sisters endured when they were younger. I thoroughly enjoyed these scenes; I liked seeing the sisters at a younger age and appreciated the general background information.

This movie also sheds light on witchcraft: Becca enjoys crystals, feels drawn to nature, and frequents a metaphysical shop. Witchcraft and other spiritual work are more accepted now than in previous times and it was nice to see it in the early scenes and throughout the movie. Becca's positive witchy abilities also directly contrast the evil intentions of the Sanderson sisters.

While watching the original movie does give helpful background information, the second one has a separate plot with additional characters and can stand alone. I watched the second movie by itself a few days after it was released, but I also plan to watch the first and second together before Halloween.

This movie has received mixed feedback, which is understandable due to its large following. With that said, I was pleasantly surprised: for a sequel, it was better than I thought it would be, and I certainly plan to watch this with the first movie each year during spooky season.
Views 3486 Comments 3
Total Comments 3

Comments

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Rika Offline
Chat Buddy

Junior TeenHelper

Pronouns: she/they

Points: 13,296, Level: 16 Points: 13,296, Level: 16 Points: 13,296, Level: 16

Re: Hocus Pocus 2: A review - October 28th 2022, 08:06 PM

I personally felt it wasn't as good as the original, but again I am a grown adult. I feel the target audience were kids our age when we all watched it.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Astro04 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Luca

Points: 4,806, Level: 10 Points: 4,806, Level: 10 Points: 4,806, Level: 10

Re: Hocus Pocus 2: A review - October 31st 2022, 08:13 AM

Well then, why i didn't saw it yet?
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Hocus Pocus 2: A review - November 4th 2022, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rika View Post
I personally felt it wasn't as good as the original, but again I am a grown adult. I feel the target audience were kids our age when we all watched it.
Yes, I think so too, and I have heard this a lot. I prefer the original as well but even so, the second was better than I thought it would be.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers