TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Article Tools Search this Article Rate Article

Old
Rate Article
March Playlist: Share Your Smile
by Mel May 6th 2010, 03:15 AM

Article featured in Avatar - Volume 3, Issue 9 (March 2010).

March Playlist: Share Your Smile
By Jessie (Asylum)

Positive music can be hard to find, or at least to identify. We could be obvious, cliché, and go with songs like “Don’t Worry, be Happy” by Bobby McFerrin or “Walking on Sunshine” by Katrina and the Waves. But let’s face it, our good moods vary from “I’m happy to be with you” to “I’m happy you’re gone!” And so this month, in honor of Music in Our Schools Month, Share a Smile Day (March 1st) and I Want You to be Happy Day (March 3rd), we bring you ten songs that we think might make you smile, no matter your mood!

And all at once the crowd begins to sing.
Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same.

Feeling nervous to take a step forward, but positive about the possibilities of your journey? With an upbeat tempo and hopeful message of love, “All At Once” by The Fray is a fun song about building the courage to take that scary step forward! We hope you find that strength within yourself this month. What do you have to lose?

So don't wait
for someone to tell you it's too late,
’cause these are the best days.

You hear it all the time—these are the best days of your life. And although it can be hard to believe sometimes, we all feel that way every now and then. “Best Days” by Graham Colton is an optimistic song about making the best of difficult circumstances, and is great for getting up and motivated. And just remember, the next year of your life will always be the best!

’Cause I’d get a thousand hugs
from ten thousand lightening bugs
as they try to teach me how to dance.

Looking for something with an upbeat tempo and fun lyrics? Owl City delivers! We recommend “Fireflies” for a bit of fun, a random dance, or whenever the mood strikes you! It is impossible to sit sill through this disco and electronic inspired song about insomnia, so give it a listen!

We want to know the face of freedom.
We want to make a place where we can learn to love,
build a world that we can be proud of.
This is my generation.

It is not unusual for adults to scoff at the more liberal-minded youth of younger generations. But we know that they’re wrong! When you’re feeling inspired by your peers, achievements of our time, or just feel excited about being young, “Generation” by Emerson Hart is a fun and positive song about being youth and achievement!

Everywhere I'm looking now,
I'm surrounded by your embrace.
Baby I can see your halo.
You know you're my saving grace.

Being in love is powerful and it can give you the warm and fuzzies like you wouldn’t believe (until you’ve felt it!) If your good mood this month stems from that special someone, check out “Halo” by Beyoncé, a soulful love ballad that is sure to make your heart smile!

You see, I can be myself now, finally.
In fact there’s nothing I can’t be,
I want the world to see you’ll be with me.

If Owl City isn’t the upbeat music you’re looking for, why not check out Train? We recommend “Hey, Soul Sister”, a fun and fast-paced song about finding someone you feel comfortable with, no need for inhibitions! The silly, quirky lyrics and up-tempo music is sure to make you want to get up and dance!

Let it slide, let your troubles fall behind you.
Let it shine, until you feel it all around you.

Feeling overwhelmed and ready to move on? “Little Wonders” by Rob Thomas is an optimistic song about letting go of troubles, facing the future head-on, and making the best of the one life you have, with a positive message about loving who you are to boot!

And it’s strange how soon you forget
that you’re like stars…
They only show up when it’s dark,
’cause they don`t know their worth.

“Shine” is an amazing song by Anna Nalick about rising above stereotypes, trials and names to be everything you can be, to shine! Anyone can relate to this song, and we hope you find inspiration within it this month!

Show me a smile then, don't be unhappy.
Can't remember when I last saw you laughing.

Okay, we had to include just ONE cliché, so we decided to go with “True Colors”. Cyndi Lauper made it famous, and for a fresh feel we recommend the Glee Cast cover, but any version will do because this song about being yourself is a classic straight from the 1980s!

Feel the rain on your skin.
No one else can feel it for you,
only you can let it in.

Facing a new day can be hard, but it gets easier when you’re listening to “Unwritten” by Natasha Bedingfield, a heartfelt, buoyant song about taking control and making the best of each new day.

We hope you make the best of things this month. Remember to share your smile!
Views 1314 Comments 0
Total Comments 0

Comments