TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AsianGirl5 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,126, Level: 13 Points: 8,126, Level: 13 Points: 8,126, Level: 13

Arrow Inter-racial dating - December 30th 2010, 03:45 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

My boyfriend and I have been dating for a year and I know I love him, and want to marry him. He's studying to be an engineer at college and lives five hours away, which is tough on both of us. I miss him more than I thought I could ever miss a person, and I know that I want to be with him always. He loves me too and feels the same. We've talked about marriage and we both look forward to being together for the rest of our lives.
Unfourchantly my parents don't believe in interracial dating and when I brought my boyfriend to meet him they didn't say anything and left us alone. After words they made fun of me and told me i should never see him again. This hurt, being that I only date when I truly like someone and he was only my second boyfriend. I never told them we were dating.
its so hard to be so far away and not have support from my parents, I feel like we don't have a "Godly" relationship because i'm supposed to honor my parents but what about when they're wrong? I know they are. Everything about our relationship is honest and true except for this.
help?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Inter-racial dating - December 30th 2010, 05:40 AM

It can be really tough when parents don't support your choice in a partner. After all, they've spent your life raising you and supporting you, so it's natural that it's important that you have your approval in your choice of a partner. When they don't support your decision in a partner, it can cause a lot of tension. It may make you feel like a failure or like you have done something wrong, or it may just strain your relationship with your family and place a bit of a distance between you. This can be a really tough burden to bear.

Sometimes parents have well-founded fears behind not liking a child's partner, but in this case it sounds like they are letting a factor as insignificant as race get in the way of supporting their daughter's happiness. Honestly, you have to ask yourself whether your joy and future with your boyfriend are worth having a disagreement with your parents. If it is, then you may have to reconcile yourself with disagreeing with them. Your parents are not always right; they have beliefs, and those beliefs can be mistaken. Don't let it dictate yours.
Closed Thread