TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
evans_x Offline
Just a whisper in the wind ..
Not a n00b

Name: Kayla

Points: 9,217, Level: 14 Points: 9,217, Level: 14 Points: 9,217, Level: 14

Smile Online Dating ? - March 31st 2011, 03:55 AM

What does everyone think ov online dating? Just want to know opinions
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: Online Dating ? - March 31st 2011, 04:29 AM

Personally, I don't advise it. This is just me. I've never felt comfortable with meeting someone online and 'dating' them. You can't really date someone you've met online. If they live close by to where you both can meet up at times, but dating someone includes showing romantic gestures (such as hugging and kissing). Which, obviously, you can't do over the internet. Plus, you can't really get to know someone over the internet. It takes a lot more than just talking to someone to know them.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
01love Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Lena

Points: 8,546, Level: 13 Points: 8,546, Level: 13 Points: 8,546, Level: 13

Re: Online Dating ? - March 31st 2011, 04:34 AM

I'm not a fan. I like seeing my boyfriend in-person and not just on Skype I've seen it work for some people though, so it's pretty cool. I met some of my closest friends online, and a few of us are planning to meet up when we're finished university (: exciting stuff! Ooops, sorry for that detour in thought! hehe

tl;dr version - I'm neutral, I don't like nor dislike it; but it's not for me.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
evans_x Offline
Just a whisper in the wind ..
Not a n00b

Name: Kayla

Points: 9,217, Level: 14 Points: 9,217, Level: 14 Points: 9,217, Level: 14

Re: Online Dating ? - March 31st 2011, 04:46 AM

I'm not a fan of it either, I'd want to hug and kiss my partner in person. But doesn't mean I'm against it, I like this one guy and he likes me back but I'm not willing to online date and miss out on opportunities with people close by. (:

♪ Remember when, you were my boat and I was your sea. Together we'd float so delicately ♥

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Online Dating ? - March 31st 2011, 10:38 PM

It's not for me. I think that online dating results in a lot of missed connections that can make a relationship much more satisfying. Some people like it, though.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
HisPrincess Offline
Associate Live Help Operator
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Angelica

Points: 13,275, Level: 16 Points: 13,275, Level: 16 Points: 13,275, Level: 16

Re: Online Dating ? - April 1st 2011, 04:33 AM

Well personally I don't think that online dating is the best way to meet people, but I know that some people have met someone that they are really happily married to because of online dating. So I guess for me I am not really for online dating, and really would never use it. I am more of a meet someone in person kind of girl. But that's just my opinion.

Angelica

Formerly jelli1224

Trusting is not a mistake, but it is important to realize that things change. ~ Kmn483<3Bliz

Please feel free to PM me. I love to help others, and can be an ear to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, or a face to scream at. <3

Help LINK Mentor - March 19th 2011 to April 16th 2011

Live Help Operator - February 18th 2012 to June 4th, 2012

Associate Live Help Operator - August 13th 2012 <3
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Points: 20,004, Level: 20 Points: 20,004, Level: 20 Points: 20,004, Level: 20

Re: Online Dating ? - April 1st 2011, 08:51 AM

I've done it twice, both of which have resulted in my meeting the person or I am planning on meeting the person. I was happy with the first, and I could not be happier with the second. The only disadvantage to it is that they weren't met through any form of a dating site (I avoid those with a passion. I don't like online dating where you're meeting online specifically for dating), so they were/are both overseas. But I figure what matters to me is that I'm happy in this moment, no matter how long the relationships last.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Points: 15,021, Level: 17 Points: 15,021, Level: 17 Points: 15,021, Level: 17

Re: Online Dating ? - April 1st 2011, 09:05 AM

You just have to be careful. Especially these dating sites. Pictures aren't always truthful. Other safety factors come into play as well. This person could be completely different, from what they are putting in their dating profile. That's my opinion.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Leo Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 11,012, Level: 15 Points: 11,012, Level: 15 Points: 11,012, Level: 15

Re: Online Dating ? - April 1st 2011, 09:15 AM

It's really hard, and tbh its prolly not something ill ever do again. Granted I said that before I started dating my ex so..... *shrugs* There's a lot more forces working against you when your in an online relationship.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
JustSomeone Offline
Average Joe

Points: 10,769, Level: 15 Points: 10,769, Level: 15 Points: 10,769, Level: 15

Re: Online Dating ? - April 4th 2011, 02:55 AM

It works for some people. One of my best friends has had an online relationship for several years and it's working great, they're going to move in together soon though and they've met irl several times and all that.

It doesn't work for everyone though. The worst thing is is when you develop a crush on someone online and you haven't even met them in real life.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
how.we.operate. Offline
~Sing Me To Sleep~
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Nikki

Points: 12,065, Level: 16 Points: 12,065, Level: 16 Points: 12,065, Level: 16

Re: Online Dating ? - April 4th 2011, 07:01 AM

I'm someone that won't really consider dating online...like if the person is half way around the world...you aren't going to be able to talk to them a lot, let alone see them. Part of a relationship is physical contact...plus online you can lie about who you are with ease instead of actually telling the truth. For all you know, you could be dating a guy thats 3 years younger or 30 years older. There is too much wiggle room to change who you are to be that person for someone else...you won't get to see who they truly are.
I've had my fair share of people that have wanted to date because they met me online, but I have never went through with it because I need that physical contact.
Also, you can basically have a double/more life if you date online...like you can have a girlfriend in real life and have a girlfriend or more through the Internet. Too much room for deception.

Leave the past behind, just walk away
When it's over, and the heart break
And the cracks begin to show

*~*~This little girl was alone in the world~*~*
Hold Onto Hope
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Eyes on Fire-Xx Offline
The doctor's next companion
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sumi

Points: 10,565, Level: 15 Points: 10,565, Level: 15 Points: 10,565, Level: 15

Re: Online Dating ? - April 4th 2011, 09:50 PM

I think it's awesome if you find the right person ^_^ makes it easier to meet toooons of people all over, specially if your shy like me and dont get out xD and it wheighs tons less on looks being the only reson someone would want to try dating you like in person. My boyfriend is online, but im going to visit next year, and i couldnt be happier ^^ some people dont deal with it well, be if it works for you, its awesome :3

The strongest oaks
grow in opposing winds
and Diamonds are
made under
Pressure

PM me anytime for anything at all! <3<3<3
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Online Dating ? - April 4th 2011, 10:28 PM

To my mind it's no worse than traditonal matchmaking services or events such as speed dating (or slow dating as some are called nowadays which is a touch misleading but hey), and provided you take appropriate precautions for your safety then it can have similarly positive results. As with any such service however it shouldn't be treated as a Holy Grail or cure-all for hurdles to dating - at some point you will have to actually meet the person and go on so-called "normal" dates. Given that most communication nowadays is via social networking/the Internet and mobiles as opposed to more traditional meetings, I would expect online dating to become more common if anything as time goes by.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
katie4evrr1 Offline
Love <3 You
Average Joe

Name: Katie

Points: 9,804, Level: 14 Points: 9,804, Level: 14 Points: 9,804, Level: 14

Re: Online Dating ? - April 4th 2011, 10:46 PM

Hey! and well, online dating kind of scares me because i feel i can't make that personal connection and really judge their character.. A IM can be takin alot of different ways. Plus, there are so many creeps and pervs out there that I think it's really hard to tell who is good to open up to. I chat online but i don't believe i would ever go further then making friends
Closed Thread