TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Spicy_ Offline
愛してる
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 17,982, Level: 19 Points: 17,982, Level: 19 Points: 17,982, Level: 19

Work Place Romance? - March 10th 2012, 10:26 AM

Hey guys!

So I just started this job and I'm crazy for this co-worker; the first time I locked eyes on her my heart melted..lol She even came up to me several times to make a conversation and gave me slight nudges when we joked around.

What are some other ways you guys think would mean she's intrested, also how to tell if she's single?

Thanks guy

Through darkness does the light shine even brighter
PM/VM
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: Work Place Romance? - March 10th 2012, 10:31 AM

To find out if she's single or not; just get to know her better. Find out her background OUTSIDE of work. You can't just jump in and say "Are you single?" That's pretty obvious, dontcha think?

Also, I'd be careful with work-place romances. Many places don't advise it AND it's even against some "code of conducts" for work. I know at my place of employment, we can't date within our own hospital, but we can't date people who work at others (I work for an animal clinic that's run out of PetSmart's, called Banfield). It just causes a "conflict of interest" in their eyes, so I would look into that before taking anything further.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Charlie

Points: 41,800, Level: 29 Points: 41,800, Level: 29 Points: 41,800, Level: 29

Re: Work Place Romance? - March 10th 2012, 11:37 AM

You should get to know her better, get to know her outside of work and take it from there. If you start hanging out and getting to know each other, you'll find out if she's single and there is a chance you can find out if she's interested with how she reacts with you outside of work but as Shannon said, I'd double check what your works policy is on dating. I know that at the place I work at, you need to inform them of the relationship so you should check that.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 15,744, Level: 18 Points: 15,744, Level: 18 Points: 15,744, Level: 18

Re: Work Place Romance? - March 11th 2012, 05:07 PM

I agree with the above. If you would like to find out if she's interested in you, ask her out for something non-invasive like a cup of coffee or something outside of work. She will let you know in one way or another how she feels.

HOWEVER, I would also like to say that it can be a slippery slope if you start dating someone you work with. There's a reason the expression "Don't shit where you eat" exists. If anything turns sour it can wind up pretty bad. Just be careful and take everything into consideration, maybe progress a little more slowly.

"Ignore the ramblings of the ignorant, and step on or over their crumpled bodies as you make your way to the top of the mountain. Eat upon their flesh for fuel, and, through your determination and will, banish them to obscurity and a life of complacency and self righteousness that is the hell in which they live"

-Richard Safreed

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
brooke.janicia Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,467, Level: 12 Points: 7,467, Level: 12 Points: 7,467, Level: 12

Re: Work Place Romance? - March 15th 2012, 12:40 PM

i know what you mean, im in the same boat with this guy from work. but things are a bit more obvious and hes a bit older. but, things have gotten awkward since we started kissing and stuff, i have no idea what to do.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
LoveRainingDown Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brie

Points: 7,335, Level: 12 Points: 7,335, Level: 12 Points: 7,335, Level: 12

Re: Work Place Romance? - March 15th 2012, 06:41 PM

Work place romances can get you into a lot of trouble. You and her could stay madly in love for the rest of your lifes and never get in trouble. Or you could A. get fired or B. end up breaking up with her and then you work with your ex girlfriend. I am not trying to put a rain cloud over your feelings for her. It just happens to too many people.

As for finding out how she feels, like everyone has said, get to know her better and she should make it clear if she is single or not. Good Luck
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Work Place Romance? - March 15th 2012, 08:07 PM

Best advice is tread carefully. Leaving aside the very valid point made that it could be in breach of your employer's code of conduct, it could make things very awkward indeed whether things go well or badly. If things go well then it could make things more uncomfortable for your colleagues depending on how workplace interactions change; if things go badly, well, that speaks for itself. That said, I do know of workplace romances which have stood the test of time and avoided the pitfalls, but they are relatively few and far between. By all means get to know her better - in a more general sense, that's part of being a good co-worker (and probably one aspect I need to improve in my work, but hey) - but anything more than friends is best approached with caution.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
Closed Thread