TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
colie18 Offline
I am not your ordinary girl...
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Nicole

Points: 11,557, Level: 15 Points: 11,557, Level: 15 Points: 11,557, Level: 15

Exclamation Secretly Dating? - April 21st 2012, 10:54 PM

So here is the deal.

I am dating this guy that I basically grew up together from the day I was born. He is basically my best friend. His mother is best friends with my aunt, so we have always considered ourselves family, cousins to be exact. Recently.. i.e 3 days ago we started dating and no one knows. We are keeping it a secret. We don’t want our family to know because we don’t know how they would react, considering we consider him family, like my aunt considers him a nephew and we cousins consider him a cousin too. I don’t know what to do about that... I don’t like hiding my boyfriend from my sister or my best friends. It is so hard not telling them anything.

Here is the next problem however. I don’t know how to feel about him. I tell him I love him, but I don’t how if the love I feel for him is family oriented or boyfriend oriented. I just feel numb thinking about it. I don’t know if I want a relationship with him. I am just conflicted I guess. A part of me is like “he is family... he is your cousin... eww thats just gross.” While another part of me says, “You know you have always loved him just go for it and see where it leads, it might be something amazing.” And then another part says “Don’t do it because you don’t know where it is going to lead just watch out.. he is family be careful. “ I am so conflicted I don’t know what to think at all. I don’t know what I want. I mean I like being with him, but I just feel numb. Normally when I am dating someone I feel something.. like guilt and depression, (i.e this is wrong, I shouldn’t being doing this.) or I feel nervous and anxious, (i.e all I can think about is him, all I want to do is be with him, and thinking about him makes the butterflies crawl in my belly.) However with him.. i feel nothing.. like it isn’t real. Like he isn’t my boyfriend.. like he is still my cousin. I just feel nothing. I mean I feel a little worried, but other than that.. I feel absolutely nothing.

Here is a little more info:
We have already kissed. (again felt absolutely nothing through it)
He is 18 and I am 17.
We have only been dating for 3 days.
I don’t know if I even need a relationship at this time.. with college coming up and a whole bunch of stress on me from school and work and family. I don’t think I need a relationship but I don’t know.

I just someone else perspective on this whole situation. I don’t know what to do.

Love is Love it has no boundaries!
Got a Question? PM/VM me or go to my formspring and ask there: http://www.formspring.me/colie18
Ask Me Anything!!! I promise I don't bite and I will answer honestly!!!

Want to know more about me and how who I really am? Visit my personal blog http://www.butterfliesinmybellyy.tumblr.com

"Everyone sees who I appear to be, but only a few know the real me. You only see what I choose to show, there's so much behind this smile… you don't even know"

LHO/Social Networking Staff Member/HelpLink Mentor
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jas Offline
aka Xamed
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 12,438, Level: 16 Points: 12,438, Level: 16 Points: 12,438, Level: 16

Re: Secretly Dating? - April 21st 2012, 11:08 PM

Honestly it sounds to me like you are not into this guy at all. I'm not getting even a shred of attraction to him from your post. I'd end it now, there's absolutely no point having a relationship with someone you feel nothing for.
I'm not even touching the secretly dating thing. I think that's probably just another sign that this isn't right for you.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Vergil Offline
I am Jeff's Profile
Not a n00b

Points: 8,071, Level: 13 Points: 8,071, Level: 13 Points: 8,071, Level: 13

Re: Secretly Dating? - April 21st 2012, 11:47 PM

I agree with the above poster. If your not feeling alot of the boyfriend kind of attraction and a good part of you is telling you its a bad idea just end it. Or you can always talk to him about it aswell.

Also about the secret dating thing. If you really cant be open about dating a person to your family then I think dating the person is right for you.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Flavalicious Offline
100% Coffee addict
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Felis

Points: 8,187, Level: 13 Points: 8,187, Level: 13 Points: 8,187, Level: 13

Re: Secretly Dating? - April 22nd 2012, 11:08 AM

Hi Nicole, I remember you from your previous thread.
I mentioned to you before that your love for him might be just a love for family. You can be so easily confused since you've been with him for all your life and you're just so comfortable with him being around you.

I think if you don't feel what you suppose to feel with a boyfriend when you're with him, then leave it. It's better to end the relationship earlier rather than leaving it for long, giving him false hope and later on telling him that you can't love him as a boyfriend.

There's a big chance that your friendship with him will change after that; but since you have lots of things going on in your life, I think at least being busy will keep you distracted from this matter for now until you start your college.

Love is but the discovery of ourselves in others, and the delight in the recognition. - Alexander Smith

Change and growth take place when a person has risked himself and dares to become involved with experimenting with his own life. - Herbert Otto

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Charlie

Points: 41,800, Level: 29 Points: 41,800, Level: 29 Points: 41,800, Level: 29

Re: Secretly Dating? - April 22nd 2012, 12:08 PM

I agree that it does sound like there is no attraction there and your love for him is more because of how close you are rather than 'I'm in love with you' type of love plus if you're doing it in secret too, that isn't fair on either of you. If you're with someone, you should be able to say 'me and so and so are together' and not have to hide it from everyone. I'd end it now, it's only been a few days so it's not like it's going to be as bad as if it was 3 months and you decided to do this and as you're so close, I'm sure he'd understand your reasons.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Secretly Dating? - April 22nd 2012, 07:12 PM

If you really like someone, there is always a spark. If you aren't feeling the spark, you're probably just not that into him.
Closed Thread