TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Points: 29,500, Level: 24 Points: 29,500, Level: 24 Points: 29,500, Level: 24

Question Girlfriend is depressed. - December 30th 2012, 06:23 PM

My girlfriend is dealing with a rough bout of depression. Her friends and family spend their time attempting to "fix" her which usually makes it worse.

I do my best to be there for her, but when she gets like this she gets very reclusive and tries to hide it from me. I wish she wouldn't, but I'm not about to force her to talk about things she doesn't want to talk about. She tells me it's "just depression" and that it's something she needs to handle on her own. I believe her and give her the freedom to do so, but I worry. We don't talk as much, and I miss her.

Is there anything else I can do here? It's so tough seeing her like this.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Name: Michelle
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 20,045, Level: 20 Points: 20,045, Level: 20 Points: 20,045, Level: 20

Re: Girlfriend is depressed. - December 30th 2012, 06:49 PM

You're doing good by not forcing her, just remind her that you're there if/when she wants to talk about anything. Remind her that you love her, etc and things will be fine.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
~Divergent~ Offline
Struggling again.
I've been here a while

Name: Hailey

Points: 16,271, Level: 18 Points: 16,271, Level: 18 Points: 16,271, Level: 18

Re: Girlfriend is depressed. - December 30th 2012, 08:21 PM

Like Michael said, it's good that you're not forcing her to talk if she doesn't want to, and just make sure she knows that you're there for her and you love her. You could also encourage her to see a doctor or a counselor. As time passes, she may open up more and be ready to talk. As I can tell you from personal experience, sometimes it just takes time.

Member since 9/27/12
Buddy since 9/14/13
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Girlfriend is depressed. - December 31st 2012, 09:26 AM

I'm sorry to hear about this. I know how depressing it can be to see someone else going through something like this and not being able to help them.

It's good that you aren't forcing her to talk. She'll remember that loyalty. I really think the best thing to do is to let her know that if she ever needs to talk you are always there for her. Maybe every couple days call/text/go see her and see how she is feeling, maybe bring her lunch or breakfast?

Some depressed people react and feel different so I don't know about your girlfriend, but to me, I like being surprised with the person I really care about whenever I'm depressed. Like not a "can I come over and hang out?", more of a random knock on the door and a hug. That can do so much for someone. Me anyway. It'll show that you care. Try and remind her how beautiful she is. Compliment her on things.

And during this, remember to take care of yourself as well. You can't help her if you don't help yourself. I really hope your girlfriend feels better and if you ever feel stressed or alone over this you can always talk to me. I have a bit of experience with things like this. Someone I know being depressed I mean. I know sometimes you just need to get it out somewhere.

Good luck to you and your girlfriend. Remind her how special she is. Stay strong <3

~ Christabel
Closed Thread