TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23

why dose depression always take me near night time? - July 15th 2013, 04:53 PM

i always get deep deepresion near night
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I've been here a while

Name: Lauren

Points: 24,303, Level: 22 Points: 24,303, Level: 22 Points: 24,303, Level: 22

Re: why dose depression always take me near night time? - July 15th 2013, 07:17 PM

Hey there,

Being depressed more near night time can be a number things. It might help if at night when you're feeling depressed you think about what happened today and see if there's anything that happened that could contribute to you feeling depressed. It might also help to surround yourself with people, like your family when it gets later so you don't feel lonely or like you've got no one to turn to. If you feel depressed, talk about it with someone, like the people in your family and keep your mind distracted.

I hope this helped!

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
♔ Queen of Ambivalence ♔
Average Joe

Name: Emily

Points: 9,201, Level: 14 Points: 9,201, Level: 14 Points: 9,201, Level: 14

Re: why dose depression always take me near night time? - July 15th 2013, 07:33 PM

I always feel more depressed at night too! You're not alone. I'm not completely sure why but it's not uncommon for depression to worsen at night.

♥ PM me anytime, I'm here for you ♥

Out of the ashes I'm burning like a fire. You can save your apologies, you're nothing but a liar. I've got shame, I've got scars that I will never show. I'm a survivor in more ways than you know. 'Cause all the pain and the truth, I wear like a battle wound. So ashamed, so confused, I was broken and bruised. Now I'm a warrior.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: why dose depression always take me near night time? - July 15th 2013, 08:06 PM

Hi there.

It's true that it isn't uncommon that people who struggle with depression or other mental health problems struggle more at night than any other time. I often think a reason for this is because we're in our rooms alone and we can over think and feel lonely in it and get quite down and sad which can be really hard. Does that make sense?

Maybe at night you could change your routine a little? Have your tea, then go for a walk. Get in and have a nice bath and get into your pjs and watch some good tv or read a nice book and write about how you feel to make it external instead of internal. Maybe even do some yoga or relaxation and avoid caffeine at night. Get into bed and try and sleep but if you can't and it's making you feel depressed, get up and do something easy but nice and that you enjoy to try and make you feel a little better but something that won't stimulate your mind too much.

If there's ever anything you want to talk about, we're always here for you so don't be afraid to reach out to us.

Look after yourself,
Jessie.

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Re: why dose depression always take me near night time? - July 16th 2013, 10:03 PM

You're totally right that sometimes people struggle more during the night. I do, too. I totally agree with Jessie as to the reason as well. It's late at night, especially when nobody else is awake, and we have all the time to think about the day and life in general, whereas during the day we are kept really busy.

I try to write out what I am feeling at night so the thoughts aren't as pent up inside. Or, I'll listen to some nice music before bed so I can relax, or I'll put on a movie. Maybe you can try some relaxation techniques as well.

Stay strong!

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Formerly Puppy-Sized Elephant
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Elsa

Points: 14,399, Level: 17 Points: 14,399, Level: 17 Points: 14,399, Level: 17

Re: why dose depression always take me near night time? - July 17th 2013, 04:29 AM

My depression often gets worse during the night too. Like the above posters said, it helps to put things in place to help comfort and/or distract you during the times that your depression is especially bad. Sometimes, though, you just have to take a deep breath and let yourself feel how you're feeling. It's painful, but those bad feelings are clamoring for your attention. Sometimes you have to let yourself sink into the depression, and try not to get overwhelmed by it. It's can be a hard thing to do, but it's important. If you deny your feelings, they tend to bottle up. You can even try doing something like journaling or drawing to get your emotions out.

Sometimes you need a distraction, and sometimes you just need to feel.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Kasnec Offline
Escaping the mothership
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,829, Level: 12 Points: 6,829, Level: 12 Points: 6,829, Level: 12

Re: why dose depression always take me near night time? - July 17th 2013, 01:48 PM

I'll have to see if I can try and find where I read it, but I've heard it's possibly a hormonal thing. Just part of the body's rhythms to be feeling more emotional at night, especially if you've had disturbed sleep patterns for a while and your brain is sending messages that you should be asleep and dreaming. Otherwise possibly a change in light? I know depression peaks during the winter months, and thats been largely associated with less exposure to sunlight. I have always wanted to get my hands on one of those S.A.D. lamps, which are supposedly bright enough to wash away the blues.

If you do eat dinner, perhaps try to eat some protein with tryptophan in it, not less than 2 hours before bed, and have a cup of relaxing tea (something with camomile and/or valerian). If you're not in the habit of eating around dinner time, try getting out of the house for a slow walk, or finding a deeply absorbing book, or as previously suggested, writing and music works great too.
Closed Thread