TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
YoungK9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 11,113, Level: 15 Points: 11,113, Level: 15 Points: 11,113, Level: 15

How did your parents react-when you told them about your Depression? - August 15th 2014, 10:36 PM

I finally got myself to tell my friend about my Depression. She was really worried. So, worried she start crying, which I felt terrible about. She told me "You always looked,& seemed happy. I never would of guessed you were struggling." I definitely hide my depression from everyone, but it's getting hard.Real hard. I'm sick of pretending to be happy. The thing is, everyone thinks I'm really happy.I don't want to ruin that for them,& make them worry.

Plus, I'm have really strong suicidal thoughts-to point of having a plan. She said that I seemed caring, but, I don't see myself as it,I feel like a selfish, worthless.
I'm trying to make others happy, because there simply more deserve to be happy, not me. I don't give shit what happens to me. At all.

She really what me to tell my parents. I told her to not tell anyone, because I'd rather not let my parents know. I just... don't know.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Em. Offline
I don't even like cats
Average Joe

Name: Emily

Points: 12,776, Level: 16 Points: 12,776, Level: 16 Points: 12,776, Level: 16

Re: How did your parents react-when you told them about your Depression? - August 15th 2014, 10:44 PM

My mum called my dad who came over and they both shouted at me, told me that I must deny any help the school gives me as it is selfish and I do not have any reason to be down. They refused to get me help when I overdosed and even when the police were called on them they still refused to admit I had a problem.

They call me selfish and an attention seeker. Oh well I've gotten sneaky

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Brittany

Points: 19,786, Level: 20 Points: 19,786, Level: 20 Points: 19,786, Level: 20

Re: How did your parents react-when you told them about your Depression? - August 15th 2014, 10:49 PM

My dad found out through my ex. He got a phone call saying that I was very depressed and self-harming. When he got home from work that day, he put me in a car and brought me to an intake center to be evaluated. He was constantly saying that he was doing it for my own good, and that he wanted to get me help. Ever since, he's been supportive and a very great listening ear for me to talk to. My mom, on the other hand, just doesn't get it.

I think it's worth telling your parents. You deserve to get help if you need it.

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

(#4 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: How did your parents react-when you told them about your Depression? - August 15th 2014, 11:52 PM

My mom found out through the school four or five years ago. At first, she wasn't that supportive. She was in shock, so to speak and we pretended that everything was fine. She soon found out again and we fought a lot until the reason for my issues came out. After we found out I have PTSD and after we came to terms with it she's been a really good source of support for me. My dad, however, is not understanding but I do not get along with him too well.

I think telling your parents is definitely worth a shot. They may be in shock at first but when you have someone close to you by your side it doesn't seem nearly as dark. If you have any questions or need help with telling your parents feel free to PM me!

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
YoungK9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How did your parents react-when you told them about your Depression? - August 16th 2014, 01:09 AM

I really don't like people knowing I'm struggling with depression. Everyone thinks I'm so happy. I'm scared that they'll be angry.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Points: 10,038, Level: 14 Points: 10,038, Level: 14 Points: 10,038, Level: 14

Re: How did your parents react-when you told them about your Depression? - August 16th 2014, 01:20 AM

hey there,

When my parents found out about my depression/self harm.. They were really shocked and upset.. I was constinitly watch by them cause they didn't want me doing that.. They were extremely worried.. But they're parents and other than that they were suppurtive about it

Talking to someone about this is the first step and the hardest don't feel terrible about that you told her.. She's upset cause she really cares about you!! I felt the same way when some of my friends found out about me.. So it's normal to feel that way! She wants the best for you!

But I do think you should consider talking to your parents. How they react depends on how of a person they are. So I don't know for sure. But I think its a good idea if you want to be better and get the happiness you deserve!

I hope the best in whatever choice you make! Feel free to message me anytime
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Duddylawd Offline
Chris
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,083, Level: 11 Points: 6,083, Level: 11 Points: 6,083, Level: 11

Re: How did your parents react-when you told them about your Depression? - August 16th 2014, 02:56 AM

Told a friend about it and she told me to get help but I didn't have the confidence, so she told the school prinicipal, he told my mum/dad.

They reacted very calm and just said I was still a good person and that it'll all get fixed soon enough. And right enough it did.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Taylah Offline
Average Joe

Name: Taylah

Points: 11,213, Level: 15 Points: 11,213, Level: 15 Points: 11,213, Level: 15

Re: How did your parents react-when you told them about your Depression? - August 16th 2014, 10:44 AM

My parents yelled at me
Called my extended family. Who each yelled it round there house
Had a family meating in next week
All made smart arse depressed comments.
And I can't say anything good about it.
Which probs isn't much help for you.

If you ever need to PM/VM me you can if you want
Clean since 13 July 2013 (I think)
Z ♥️ 4/4/16
Z 💍 25/9/18 (unofficial)
Z 💍 14/10/18
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Rivičre Offline
Par la rivičre
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: How did your parents react-when you told them about your Depression? - August 16th 2014, 11:06 AM

I'd never told my family how much I'd been suffering. I'd always kept it to myself right up until the day I'd first attempted suicide and only then was it that they realised how bad things were for me.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
weaved1 Offline
fruit loop
Average Joe

Name: --

Points: 6,606, Level: 11 Points: 6,606, Level: 11 Points: 6,606, Level: 11

Re: How did your parents react-when you told them about your Depression? - August 16th 2014, 02:22 PM

Both my parents are depressive; they could instantly relate. They immediately became an support network after that and broadened my support network by reaching out to shrinks, my school and psychologist. All in all most of it helped but these meds do fuck-all.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Most Likely Offline
Avete vos
Regular TeenHelper

Name: -

Points: 9,567, Level: 14 Points: 9,567, Level: 14 Points: 9,567, Level: 14

Re: How did your parents react-when you told them about your Depression? - August 16th 2014, 02:31 PM

My dad doesn't give a shit, all he cares is that I get good education and get the fuck outta home to work asap.

My mom does care I guess, she said she'll make an appointment with a therapist if I need it, but so far nothing came out of it, despite the fact I asked several times.

I'm starting to doubt if my depression will ever go away, as it seems that the weeks of numbness and hopelessness seem to be a second main point of my emotional pattern, aside from euphoric happiness and optimism on the other side.

Who dares - wins.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
YoungK9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How did your parents react-when you told them about your Depression? - August 16th 2014, 02:52 PM

My mom has some type of Depression, but I'm not sure what kind she has. I'm a lot more worried about my Dads reaction.

I'm not really sure how bad my depression is.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 6,828, Level: 12 Points: 6,828, Level: 12 Points: 6,828, Level: 12

Re: How did your parents react-when you told them about your Depression? - August 16th 2014, 05:34 PM

I have never told a single person about my private life, because from previous experiences I have a pretty good idea what my family would do if I did. That is, make fun of me behind my back and to my face, gossip about it to everyone, then send me to a psych ward and force inappropriate procedures and medications onto me. I think it's better to suffer in silence than suffer the consequences of their actions. Worse comes to worst, I know I'll still have access to what I need if things ever reach their limits. In telling someone, you lose the comfort in knowing you can opt out of life at any time.

I think there's really a line where telling people becomes a bad thing. It definitely helps for those who are not or are mildly suicidal, but the idea of it stresses me out even worse than I already am. Even if you keep it a secret, it doesn't mean you'll necessarily act on it. But that's just my two cents. I know I have a generally unfavored viewpoint on these subjects.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Doodle. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Ceilidh
Pronouns: Any/All

Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49

Re: How did your parents react-when you told them about your Depression? - August 16th 2014, 06:43 PM

Both of my parents are on anti-depressants so they could both relate. My mum called me a tit for not telling them sooner

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: How did your parents react-when you told them about your Depression? - August 23rd 2014, 09:51 PM

I never really told mine. They got told things by teachers, doctors and friends and by reading my diaries and blogs. I wish I had sat down with them and spoken about it now. It was hard for them to take but my mum has been through similar experiences so she understood and since then my dad had a breakdown so I think in some ways he can relate too but at the time it seemed like hell. I felt ashamed and embarrassed and lied as much as I could about everything possible. They didn't take any of it well but managed as best as they could as parents I guess.

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Konohana Sakuya Offline
The 4 arrows stomper
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Karen

Points: 10,137, Level: 14 Points: 10,137, Level: 14 Points: 10,137, Level: 14

Re: How did your parents react-when you told them about your Depression? - August 24th 2014, 04:04 PM

I only gave a few percent of my depression hints and they don't get it at all. Then I told them I might have depression although not 100% truthfully detailed because it's hard to live in a country where mental health is ignored by everyone, including the government. They were shocked, but until now, we act like we don't care about my fluctuating depression.

I think it's a good thing that I and my parents have the same way of thinking. Taking drastic measure is going to risk my family's image in front of everyone. But still, trying to tell your parents about your depression is worth it. Don't hold it in.

Articles Team Member // Buddy (20/01/2014 - 30/08/2014) // Associate HLM // Article Editor

Closed Thread