TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Taylah Offline
Average Joe

Name: Taylah

Points: 11,213, Level: 15 Points: 11,213, Level: 15 Points: 11,213, Level: 15

Question Idk - December 10th 2021, 04:41 PM

I don't know where im going with this so sorry in advance.

I have volunteered somewhere for 7 years. I recently had a breakdown where I was told I had to take a break coz volunteers can't be seen as struggling that bad. I hate it.
I also decided at that point if my anon posts are being watched im not going use it and I'm not going to hide my feelings. And overall I have improved... I don't get to the breaking point.
It's been 3 months and I have been told I have to be more okay than what I am. I have thought about suicide and self harm daily for years. And they have contact information and all that if they need it. But saying that outloud (in a post) isn't allowed. I'm scared if I stop I'll have another breakdown.
As it is, I'm not sure if I will be able to continue fighting these thoughts for much longer. But I don't want the riskvto go up either.

If you ever need to PM/VM me you can if you want
Clean since 13 July 2013 (I think)
Z ♥️ 4/4/16
Z 💍 25/9/18 (unofficial)
Z 💍 14/10/18
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Idk - December 10th 2021, 06:06 PM

Hi Taylah,

I'm sorry that this is something you're dealing with. Talking and writing about feelings is a really good release for when your mood is very low, and if that is part of how you cope you should be able to express yourself. Would you be able to contact the people who made the decision for you to take a break and explain this? I can understand from one side that volunteers wellbeing needs to be considered, and that if you are seen as struggling it is a sign that a break might be a good idea, however if it then takes away a healthy means of coping it does seem counterproductive.

Please know that you will always have a voice here and if you are ever in need of advice, support or even just a space to let out how you feel, you can always post on TH or send me a message.

Having a good selection of coping skills is always good too. Expressing yourself in posts seems to be really helpful which is good, but perhaps you can try other coping tools just so that your options are broadened. Have you tried being creative with your emotions? For example, when you are feeling the urge to hurt yourself, perhaps instead of taking it out on yourself you can take it out on a canvas or page and create something. You could also write something, such as a story or poem, and then use this as a way to express yourself too.

Hopefully you are able to find a way to continue volunteering, whilst still being able to cope the way you feel helps best.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
Closed Thread