TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
RandomGirly Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,917, Level: 11 Points: 5,917, Level: 11 Points: 5,917, Level: 11

Self-harm/suicidal - March 29th 2014, 02:55 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Self-harm is becoming to difficult for me to explain. I'm finding it hard for me to understand myself. I do it to get away from everything. I do it to have control. I do it because I hate myself. Me hating myself has lead to me to have suicidal thoughts. I am scared I might at some point... (I'm not sure if that is normal) I have however almost did like 3 time.... because the thoughts of doing it got so intense.

I started to self-harm again (previously I made it 7 days) a few days ago. And I feel that this time I'm not going to be able to just stop. There is something about it that is different. It's not really hurting anymore... I have started to use scissors and been having thoughts of switching to a blade. (I don't understand why I think like this)

I don't want to go to a mental hospital... so I don't really tell anyone about my thoughts... I just don't really know what to do anymore...
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Re: Self-harm/suicidal - March 29th 2014, 08:24 PM

Hey there,

I know you may not want to tell anyone because you don't want to get hospitalized, but you seem to be getting to a point where you are scared you might do something such as suicide or serious self harm, and that is problematic. Sometimes you have to do things that are scary or that you won't know how they will go in order to get what you want, and in that case, it would be help. If you do tell someone you can always make it clear that you want to use all your other options before going to hospitalization, because I'm sure someone will have something they have you try!

This is a link to a list of hotlines that you can call as well. Maybe one of them can help you work through some of what you are going through, such as the suicidal thoughts.

I know you said that one of the reasons you self harm is to have control, but something you said sticks out at me "I'm not going to be able to just stop." That seems more like the self harm is controlling YOU, to me, becoming an addiction. It's really not worth it to keep doing it and I know that you are stronger than that. These are some alternatives you can try. They're healthier, safer ways to cope, so you can start taking your control back from the self harm.

It may be really beneficial for you to work on your self esteem as well. Start listing all of the good qualities you have, because I KNOW you have them and they ARE there. They can be physically or personality related. Also write down what you've accomplished, even if it's getting out of bed on a day you may not want to. These will be reminders that you are amazing and that you can get through this. On the times a negative thought fills your mind, replace it with a good one, even if it's just something like "Well, I'm kind," or "I'm trying my best."

Remember that self harm and suicide aren't going to help you. Self harm just creates more problems like the risk of people finding out and the risk of infection, and suicide makes it so that you're denying yourself any chance of getting better! This is a list of reasons to live. Sometimes you have to let the small things build up, because a big thing is coming your way. You have things to do and places to go, people to meet and goals to complete. Don't give that all up now!

You can get through this.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
maer995 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Maria

Points: 6,059, Level: 11 Points: 6,059, Level: 11 Points: 6,059, Level: 11

Re: Self-harm/suicidal - April 1st 2014, 09:42 PM

hey.. you don't say what makes you so upset you feel the need to self harm I know after a while you just do it because you need to but what started it? it might be painful but try and look back into it, knowing the reason of your pain might help you to handle it better rather than distracting your mental pain with a more physical, but not necessarily more dangerous one. ones you identify your problem feel free to talk about it with your family, your friends or if you wish message me privately, sometimes putting it all out there helps. this will take control over your life I don't know if you already suffer of concentrating disorders but they will come, along with many more issues that WILL compromise your future. i don't personally find hotlines very useful, contact a doctor and get an appointment in the meanwhile do exercise.. in a way that's a way to make your self feel pain and it will release hormons that will make you feel more positive. xxxx

Closed Thread