TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Salina Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,032, Level: 8 Points: 3,032, Level: 8 Points: 3,032, Level: 8

Is constant sit-ups self harm? - February 12th 2018, 03:33 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Sometimes I feel like I’m really fat and do so many sit-ups I throw up. Is this self harm?

Last edited by DeletedAccount69; February 12th 2018 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Adding a prefix.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Points: 20,599, Level: 20 Points: 20,599, Level: 20 Points: 20,599, Level: 20

Re: Is constant sit-ups self harm? - February 12th 2018, 04:35 AM

self harm is all about intent, not the actual act of being harmed. if you're cutting vegetables and accidentally cut your hand, it's not considered self harm. even though you did harm yourself, it was an accident, therefore you didn't mean to do it.

so with that being said, what is your purpose for doing sit ups? is it to get in shape because you feel fat, or is it to make yourself throw up? if you know it's going to make you throw up and keep doing it to that point on purpose, for the purpose of making yourself throw up, I would consider it to be self harm.
likewise, if you are absolutely pushing your limit with doing these so much so that you wish you could quit, but you force yourself to keep going with the intent of punishing yourself for being "fat", that would also be self harm. I think that if you intend or want to hurt or punish yourself, it is self harm.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Is constant sit-ups self harm? - February 12th 2018, 04:36 AM

Hey,
I don't know if it counts a self-harm per say but it seems like you have issues with your body and are trying to fix it by over exercising, which can be really dangerous and can lead to an eating disorder. I would suggest that you talk to someone about this. If you don't have a therapist I would recommend you try and get one so this behavior doesn't continue and get out of control.

I hope this helped. Feel free to PM/VM if you ever need to talk.
Your Friend,
Frankie<3
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Is constant sit-ups self harm? - February 12th 2018, 04:41 AM

Hey there,

Jess brought up a great point, intent is really important when you are asking this question. If you are doing sit ups with the intent to harm yourself (maybe induce throwing up or cause discomfort from the exercise) or punish yourself than it would count as self harm. If you are not doing it to cause harm to yourself than it likely would not be considered self harm.

One thing though is that it does seem as if you have some self hatred and are trying to fix it by over exercising. Over exercising can be quite dangerous and I hope that you will be able to figure out a way to try and help yourself get through the desire to do so.

One suggestion I would make is that you try and find someone to talk to. Talking to a counselor would be ideal because they have the knowledge to help you figure out ways to cope. If counseling is not an option it might be worth looking into talking to another trusted adult.

I am wishing you the best and if you need anything please feel free to message me.
Closed Thread