TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
brain-allergic zombie
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,342, Level: 9 Points: 4,342, Level: 9 Points: 4,342, Level: 9

Exclamation Urges (scratching, cutting) - March 18th 2019, 07:08 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So, I stopped cutting (yay me), but about a month after I stopped having simple urges of cutting, I replaced it with scratching. At first it was a simple scratch up the fore arm to relieve pent up anger when I stopped myself arguing with my mother. I thought nothing of it, the sharp jolt of pain snapped me out and made me feel better, and it left nothing but a three-ten minute red mark up my arm. Then it quickly grew. Instead of one scratch, it was several, then I once I scratched so badly [Edit] It still hasn't healed fully and that was about a month+ ago. I went back to one or a few scratches, sometimes purposefully rehurting the burn (re-scratching, picking at it). Now, just today after three weeks of maximum stress (school, mooting (a law thing) going to shit thanks to my team mate, mum is starting to get to me, online relationship going badly, etc), I suddenly had this urge to scratch my face and scalp. To the point I feel like I need constant pain just to feel okay, itching to grab a knife and cut my head. I know this isn't healthy, I know I need to stop it as fast as I started, but I have no clue how...

Please help!

Last edited by DeletedAccount63; March 19th 2019 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Changing type of trigger warning and editing out a type of self-harm method since its against CoC
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Urges (scratching, cutting) - March 20th 2019, 01:15 AM

Hey,

It's good that you are looking to stop hurting yourself. Hurting yourself releases endorphins in the brain which is probably why you want to keep doing it. Your brain ends up craving that feeling. You can try to release endorphins through other ways, such as exercising or listening to your favorite music (or doing something that lifts your spirits).

It seems like you know why you feel like harming yourself, given the stress you're experiencing right now. Maybe you can slowly begin working on each thing. You mentioned your mom and a teammate and a few other things. Is there something you feel up to working on first?

TeenHelp has some alternatives at the top right of your screen, next to the Safety Zone. There are a lot of useful alternatives to use when you're having a difficult time. You should give a few a try, and see if you find any favorites over time.

I am around if you need anything.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
Closed Thread