TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

Points: 24,318, Level: 22 Points: 24,318, Level: 22 Points: 24,318, Level: 22

cutting my own hair?? - April 5th 2011, 04:48 AM

okay okay so i want my bangs to look like this when im finished, BUT i looked up tons of videos on how to cut my own bangs on youtube but im still scared to do it, i dont want to mess up because my hair isn't currently THAT long to begin with i cant really afford mistakes any tips or do you think i should stick with asking one of my friends who took cosmotology to do it for me??

thats what my bangs look like now and please excuse the ridiculous sign i made for my ex its the only recent picture i could find

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30

Re: cutting my own hair?? - April 5th 2011, 06:01 AM

I tried cutting my hair a couple times and it ended very badly. In fact, it was my bangs that I was cutting. My opinion is that you should let one of your friends who took cosmetology to cut your bangs.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Just Peachy. Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36

Re: cutting my own hair?? - April 5th 2011, 09:06 AM

I always screwed up my own bangs. Thing is, it's harder to do on yourself because of angling and what not.
You have a better chance at someone else doing it. So, I suggest you get your friends to do it for you, like Kitty said.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ngikhona Offline
Inkululeko.
I've been here a while

Name: Keeley Siobhan

Points: 24,468, Level: 22 Points: 24,468, Level: 22 Points: 24,468, Level: 22

Re: cutting my own hair?? - April 5th 2011, 10:19 PM

Ah the joys of cutting hair. I've never gone to cosmetology school, but I cut and color my own hair and have for years. When cutting these types of bangs
Get some thinning/layering scissors (I prefer ones with the teeth closer--this makes it so it's less chunky and more the same length).
Cut an eighth of an inch at a time. Don't try to cut any more than that at a time. Start at whichever side you want the shorter part of your bangs to be and start cutting there and gradually make a diagonal line downwards. One thing I do to help myself is I split my bangs into two sections right down the middle of my face vertically. One of these sections will start about an inch above your eyebrow and go down to where your forehead meets your nose (this is the side with the shorter bangs). The next section will start where your forehead meets your nose and go down to the top of your ear on that side (this doesn't mean to literally cut all the hair over to your ear, but make it so that's the length of the longest part of your bangs. Once you get a basic shape, start pulling some pieces that are on the top of your bangs and make them a little shorter with your thinning scissors. Make sure that when you do this your hair is dry and styled like how you would usually style it.

"Love me for me, accept the fact I'm true, live like I want, fufill my dreams,
Dream of me, run out free, capture your words and never let them go."

I'll see you on the other side.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: cutting my own hair?? - April 8th 2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthetic View Post
Ah the joys of cutting hair. I've never gone to cosmetology school, but I cut and color my own hair and have for years. When cutting these types of bangs
Get some thinning/layering scissors (I prefer ones with the teeth closer--this makes it so it's less chunky and more the same length).
Cut an eighth of an inch at a time. Don't try to cut any more than that at a time. Start at whichever side you want the shorter part of your bangs to be and start cutting there and gradually make a diagonal line downwards. One thing I do to help myself is I split my bangs into two sections right down the middle of my face vertically. One of these sections will start about an inch above your eyebrow and go down to where your forehead meets your nose (this is the side with the shorter bangs). The next section will start where your forehead meets your nose and go down to the top of your ear on that side (this doesn't mean to literally cut all the hair over to your ear, but make it so that's the length of the longest part of your bangs. Once you get a basic shape, start pulling some pieces that are on the top of your bangs and make them a little shorter with your thinning scissors. Make sure that when you do this your hair is dry and styled like how you would usually style it.
I agree with this, its what I do.
To add on, use a pomade to get that messy, choppy look. I recommend bedhead products:
http://www.tigihaircare.com/consumer...d&categoryID=7

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
Closed Thread