TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Des1615 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Des

Points: 9,222, Level: 14 Points: 9,222, Level: 14 Points: 9,222, Level: 14

If you are thinking about cutting read. - February 26th 2012, 04:23 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

If you are thinking to cut for the first time, don't. Cause self harm is an addiction. Once you're in, it's hard to get the hell out. It's dangerous and it can spiral out of control in a heart beat. Self harm turns into your drug. You need it when you'er upset and eventually you'll need it all the time. You'll like the cutting so you'll start trying out different forms of self harm, like burning, biting, bruising, scratching. Each one getting more severe each time. Self harm does nothing but make the situation worse. It causes more pain than there already is, for you and the people who love you. You're friends, family will be worried about you and if you don't stop they'll eventually give up. You'll hate the scars, but just get more because you can't stop. You'll feel alone because it's you're body that's covered in cuts. Then by the time you stopped. you'll have tons of scars, and they'll take a while to fade.. if they even do. They get harder and harder to cover up as the spread, and people start asking questions, which trust you, they arn't easy to answer. you won't able to wear short sleeved tops, tank tops, ect. After a while it will make you really self conscious. You'll start to do more cuts and deeper one over a period of time which means more blood, more pain. It makes you feel guilty for ruining your own body. You end up turning against people to hide your secret. Having to tell someone you've cut hurts and seeing their reaction hurts even more. There isn't a magical cure for self harm, you can't just do it then stop when you feel like it, you need help. You feel like there's no escape and you're gonna be stuck with self harm forever. Self harm doesn't heal the pain, it only delays it. So if you're thinking about start cutting Please don't. It soon becomes a quick fix to every little problem.

''why did I cut?'' It was the way of expressing my own shame of myself. And there were some times where my emotions were just so built up, I didn't know what to do. The only way that I could get instant gratification was through an immediate release on myself. In fact I was never really trying to kill myself But I knew that if I'd ever gone to far then I wouldn't care..
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kendall Ann Offline
Kendall Ann
Not a n00b

Name: Kendall

Points: 14,496, Level: 17 Points: 14,496, Level: 17 Points: 14,496, Level: 17

Re: If you are thinking about cutting read. - February 26th 2012, 04:51 PM

Not to be rude or anything, I think it's really nice of you to try and help prevent others from cutting but, this may have hurt some peoples feelings. For all those who do or used to cut, it is ok for you to wear short sleeves and if your scars are noticeable, ignore them. If people ask about it, you don't have to tell them if you don't want to. Also, those of you who are having a hard time stopping, just believe in yourself, you can stop. She is right however, it is hard to stop and it is not a good thing to do.

Don't let anyone say you're not beautiful, stay true to you!
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Des1615 Offline
Average Joe

Re: If you are thinking about cutting read. - February 26th 2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall Ann View Post
Not to be rude or anything, I think it's really nice of you to try and help prevent others from cutting but, this may have hurt some peoples feelings. For all those who do or used to cut, it is ok for you to wear short sleeves and if your scars are noticeable, ignore them. If people ask about it, you don't have to tell them if you don't want to. Also, those of you who are having a hard time stopping, just believe in yourself, you can stop. She is right however, it is hard to stop and it is not a good thing to do.
I'm still trying to stop cutting, it's hard. But I never meant to hurt some peoples feelings. I can't wear short sleeves cuz I'm in a catholic school so yeah. But I wear short sleeves in public and at home just not at school.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Complete Love. Offline
Life goes on...
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 11,974, Level: 15 Points: 11,974, Level: 15 Points: 11,974, Level: 15

Re: If you are thinking about cutting read. - February 26th 2012, 05:28 PM

I'm very grateful you posted this up Des. There's different kind of people on this planet and some of them may not be ashamed but it is shameful!!! It's very good to know what you are faced up against. thank you for your honesty. I honestly don't care if the whole world disagrees with what you said, because this must of been just for me then. I didn't get as far as cutting yet, but did other forms of self harm. It's nice to know where I'll be and what i'm faced up against if I continue. Nice reality check. Thumbs up.

"If I could just unzip my skin, step out of this body, then I would see who I really am.” -Wintergirls

FREE HUGS
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Des1615 Offline
Average Joe

Re: If you are thinking about cutting read. - February 26th 2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complete Love. View Post
I'm very grateful you posted this up Des. There's different kind of people on this planet and some of them may not be ashamed but it is shameful!!! It's very good to know what you are faced up against. thank you for your honesty. I honestly don't care if the whole world disagrees with what you said, because this must of been just for me then. I didn't get as far as cutting yet, but did other forms of self harm. It's nice to know where I'll be and what i'm faced up against if I continue. Nice reality check. Thumbs up.
Thank you
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
Learning to Fly
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Points: 12,022, Level: 15 Points: 12,022, Level: 15 Points: 12,022, Level: 15

Re: If you are thinking about cutting read. - February 28th 2012, 09:25 AM

No offense, but I agree with Kendall. Being told that I am shameful just makes me feel worse. Most of what you said is true though. It is hard to stop, I can't seem to. I find it harder and harder to wear short sleeves, and I won't even try a tank top without a sweatshirt over it. Its not that I'm ashamed of it though, if I was out in public where nobody knew me, that would be a different story. I just can't have the people that know me that might do something about it know.

Make-up always works for me though. I don't know what I'm going to do when I rejoin my swim team. It looks like I'm going to need some waterproof foundation.

I would encourage people to read it if it didn't make me feel worse about myself. You are right, it is bad, and there isn't an easy fix for it. Once you've started, there is only so much time before you can stop immediately. Maybe there isn't any time at all.

Cutting is never the way to go. I have gotten to that "point" before. It's horrible and wonderful (for me) at the same time. Words can't describe it. You just don't want to end up there, trust me.

Sorry if this is going all over the place.

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 4/11/15 - Senior Live Help Operator

“I will be generous with my love today. I will sprinkle compliments and uplifting words everywhere I go. I will do this knowing that my words are like seeds and when they fall on fertile soil, a reflection of those seeds will grow into something greater.”

PM / VM

Closed Thread