TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

View Poll Results: Am I disabled?
Yes 7 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 7. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Points: 21,720, Level: 21 Points: 21,720, Level: 21 Points: 21,720, Level: 21

Mental health and disability - February 19th 2013, 11:53 AM

I'm filling out some forms to try and get social housing and see if I'm entitles to any benefits. The reason why I'm having to do this is due to my mental health problems (BPD, mood disorder and some sort of anxiety which I don't have a solid diagnosis for yet) are stopping me from working full time. The problems I am facing which directly affect my day to day life are: incredibly low mood, panic attacks, insomnia, dissociation, suicidal ideation, self harm, tearfulness, huge levels of anxiety in any situation that involves leaving my flat.
Based on this information, would you consider me to be a disabled person? The definition in the forms states that "a person is disabled if they have a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial or long-term effect on their ability to carry out normal day to day activities" I'm worried that if I say yes, they'll think I'm lying, but if I say no, they might not take it seriously when they're assessing me.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Points: 15,864, Level: 18 Points: 15,864, Level: 18 Points: 15,864, Level: 18

Re: Mental health and disability - February 19th 2013, 03:38 PM

Hi Ella

To me, it seems pretty clear that your mental health problems are affecting your ability to live day to day life, compared to someone without mental health problems. How long have they been affecting your life?

I don't think they will think you're lying for one minute! And with these sorts of things, I'm guessing you have to have evidence? So if you have a letter from someone confirming what you have said, then that should be fine.

Try and remember that these people are there to help and want to help you, even if sometimes it seems like they don't.

Hope this has helped.

Anna

You have to have the negative things in life
to be able to appreciate the positives.
TG 05/04/2013
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Mental health and disability - February 19th 2013, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the reply. They have been affecting my life for a few years, but only stopping me from working full time on and off since a year or so ago. I see a psychiatrist and therapist and care co-ordinator and have put them down on the form for evidence.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Points: 23,852, Level: 22 Points: 23,852, Level: 22 Points: 23,852, Level: 22

Re: Mental health and disability - February 19th 2013, 04:23 PM

Ella, as somebody in a similar situation (mental health issues affecting my ability to work full-time, I'm lucky to have my part-time job where they put up with me), and knowing I'd be able to qualify as a disabled person (because of my mental health impairing my ability to function "normal", in a sense), I voted YES, and believe you have plenty of justification to get Disability assistance.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: Mental health and disability - February 19th 2013, 05:24 PM

Are you trying to apply for DLA? If not I suggest you try so. Its made a huge difference to my life. I'm now on Middle rate for care and low rate for mobility. If you aren't entitled to the benefits you apply for, then you won't get them - simple. If you are, you will. And if you disagree with any responses then you can appeal. So there's really nothing to lose.

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Mental health and disability - February 19th 2013, 05:34 PM

I wasn't sure if I could since I'm working at the moment and don't really need any care. There's so many different benefits and I'm so confused. I was thinking about income support or ESA. I'm also trying for housing benefit and council tax benefit but again I don't know how I would stand as I work more hours when I can and less when I'm struggling. Do you think the job centre, or the citizens advice bureau would be more help?
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: Mental health and disability - February 19th 2013, 05:45 PM

You can apply for DLA regardless of whether you're in employment. I work 35 hours a week but I get nearly 300 pounds a month but my support worker applied for it for me because at the time I couldn't work. You can't apply for ESA because that is for people who are not working due to a health problems. I advise you to go to your local job center. They seriously know everything and if they don't, they'll put you in touch with people who can help.

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Mental health and disability - February 19th 2013, 05:50 PM

thanks for the advice. I'll get to the job centre asap
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Points: 20,124, Level: 20 Points: 20,124, Level: 20 Points: 20,124, Level: 20

Re: Mental health and disability - February 19th 2013, 10:02 PM

With specific regards to your poll (not the British income support system, I know nothing about that), it might be worth asking your doctor. I didn't realise I qualified for disability support - my diagnosis is mood disorder due to a general medical condition and BPD - but my psychiatrist listed me as having disabilities that are "other psychiatric" and "other central nervous system". This means that if my team decide I need something in order to help me stay alive and well, the government pays for it. I think the most common costs covered are a landline and prescription/medication fees.

I am also in a place where I can only work a limited amount due to my tendency to get unwell. The type of financial assistance I receive at the moment actually allows me to work a small amount if I want, which is good.

So anyway, are you disabled? Not in the sense we usually think of the word, but in a way that results in your requiring ongoing financial assistance and mental health support, then definitely.

As Jessie said, there's no harm in applying.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Points: 23,852, Level: 22 Points: 23,852, Level: 22 Points: 23,852, Level: 22

Re: Mental health and disability - February 20th 2013, 05:09 AM

As Jess said above, typically Disability (obviously depending on the nature, but in almost every case with mental health) will let you work a certain amount of hours.

Here, how it works is, you can work X hours a week (I think less than 40..? But for simplifying this, let's say 30). If you work any more than these "30" hours, you will get the difference that you made garnished off of however much you initially qualified for.

So for example, if I were on Disability and getting $400/month, but I picked up some extra shifts and got 32 hours the one week, they'd deduct however much I made in that 2 hours (say $20, for simplicity again) off of my cheque, giving me $380.

I'm not 100% sure on their hours or deductions (as I said, all the numbers I gave in the example were for simplicity in explaining), but it's something to look into.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Mental health and disability - February 21st 2013, 11:57 AM

thanks for the help everyone. The job centre were completely useless but I phoned the disability benefits adviceline and they said I might be eligible for DLA and working tax credits. Once I have those, I might be able to get housing benefit and council tax benefit. I still feel really guilty about claiming disability benefits since I don't consider myself to be properly disabled as I can work to an extent and I live on my own.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Mental health and disability - February 22nd 2013, 06:54 AM

Okay, so I've sent off my application for DLA, does anyone know roughly how long they take to process?
Closed Thread