TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38

Mental Health Disability Fund - August 14th 2013, 09:08 PM

Hi,

So I've recently been looking up disability allowances for students in the UK and mental health issues are covered under it.

I have anxiety which I'm on medication for and the university is aware of it but I've never put it down on my official student finance application before...and I have already applied for student finance this year so I'm not sure if it's too late to change it (but I guess I can call and ask if I decide to).

Quote:
You can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) if you have a:

disability or long-term health condition
mental health condition
specific learning difficulty like dyslexia or dyspraxia
You must also:

be an undergraduate or postgraduate student (including Open University or distance learning)
have a condition that affects your ability to study
qualify for student finance from Student Finance England
be studying on a course that lasts at least a year
That's the above eligibility guidelines which I do qualify for but I guess I'm just put off from applying because my anxiety doesn't cost me any money since the prescription is free in Scotland so I'd feel bad in a way taking extra money when I didn't need it for anything to do with my anxiety really.

BUT obviously being a student has a lot of financial problems and I'm in quite a lot of debt right now so having extra money to put towards paying off this debt would probably really help my stress and anxiety levels. So would this be an acceptable reason for deciding to apply for the allowance?

If anyone has applied for this before and has any further information about it then it would really help. I'm considering calling the student finance place this weekend (since I get free calls then woohoo) to ask them about it.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Butters Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 7,588, Level: 12 Points: 7,588, Level: 12 Points: 7,588, Level: 12

Re: Mental Health Disability Fund - August 15th 2013, 09:31 AM

I got disabled student allowance after I'd already applied for student finance. I didn't get extra money, well I got printing and book allowance.. But mainly, I got equipment to help with my disability (hearing). If your anxiety affects you getting to all lectures you can get a voice recorder and/or a note taker, that type of thing. It's best to apply, it is put in place so those who do have a disability can get the help and support they need. What they may do, is give you a mentor, incase you run into problems with the work load, to help you manage time and anxiety.

My spelling is terrible, so I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes in my posts
Closed Thread