TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TiggerWhy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,274, Level: 10 Points: 5,274, Level: 10 Points: 5,274, Level: 10

Question Legally, how far can we go? Statutory rape? UK - December 6th 2014, 05:43 PM

I turned sixteen a few days ago. My boyfriend is nearly fifteen but we're a school year apart (I'm a Sophomore - Year Eleven - and he's a Freshman - Year Ten). We're from the UK.

We've been dating for almost six months now and we've both done oral (whilst I was 15). Now that I've turned sixteen, I am of age but I'm well aware that he isn't, and I'm aware that there will be complications now in our relationship.

So, legally, how 'far' can we go? (We are both against intercourse whilst he's under sixteen but we've had oral before so...?) And in UK law, what is classed as statutory rape? I don't want it to seem like I'm taking advantage of him and I don't want to screw up my life by doing something that isn't deemed appropriate by the law and then get in serious trouble as a result.

We're meeting up at his house tomorrow - the first time since I turned sixteen - and things can get pretty intense so I need to know what we legally can/can't do because I need to know when to stop/draw the line. I really don't want to get into trouble and mess up my life because of a teenage relationship.

Advice is appreciated.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Legally, how far can we go? Statutory rape? UK - December 6th 2014, 06:30 PM

The age of consent laws can be found here. This normally means penetrative sex, such as vaginal or anal, but I'm not entirely sure. It would depend on where you live. In your situation, I would take these laws into account to likely not pursue any of the penetrative sex, but I wouldn't worry too much. These laws were made to protect children from sex offenders. You two are both close in age, and as long as you be safe, you're not way too young to be pursuing the sexual activity you are pursuing. However...you might want to do more searches about the law, and hopefully, some UK folks can answer more than I can.

something burning?
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: Legally, how far can we go? Statutory rape? UK - December 6th 2014, 06:51 PM

I don't know about the UK, but in the US, once a person reaches a certain age, restrictions are applied but exceptions are also made.

For example, in my state... when you're 17-18, you can't date anyone under 16. But you can date someone 16-17. When you're 16, you can be with someone under 16 but only to the age of 13. It doesn't imply that the youngest age is 13, but my state defines a child as one who has not reached puberty, which means menstruation/etc here. Not the onset of puberty, which begins at 8-10. It's really confusing.

Like Traci said, I suggest doing more research.

My state isn't a good example to go by. I'll list two more.

In Connecticut, the age of consent is 18. But there are four exceptions made. A relationship is legal between someone who's 12-13, 13-15, 15-17, 16-18. In Florida, the age of consent is 18, but a seven year age difference is legal no younger than 16. So a 16 year old can date a 23 year old, but a 15 year old can't date a 22 year old.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: Legally, how far can we go? Statutory rape? UK - December 6th 2014, 08:46 PM

I’m not too sure about sexual activity, but the legal age for sexual intercourse is 16. Both participants have to be this age, or it would count as rape. According to this statutory rape would be if there was a major age difference (e.g. under 13). So, I'd assume that you would be ok, since you both agreed to not have sex.

This is quite heavy, but is the official UK definitions and laws. This simplifies it a bit. But it’s best to do your own research

Hope I helped a bit!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Legally, how far can we go? Statutory rape? UK - December 7th 2014, 07:49 PM

As Holly says, under current law (predominantly the Sexual Offences Act 2003) the age of consent is 16 and "statutory rape" applies to intercourse with persons aged 13 or younger. Between 13 and 16 there is an acknowledged grey area, but by and large the police etc tend to be more concerned with situations like 18 year olds having sex with persons under 16 rather than acts between 14/15 and 16 year olds. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's absolutely fine, because that's not the correct legal position, but on the facts you have provided it would be unlikely for the police to become involved. All I would say is if you are in any doubt it's best to err on the cautious side.

In addition, I'd say the question you should be asking is not necessarily how far you can go in the eyes of the law, but how far you should go. At the risk of sounding like a condescending old fart (which I probably qualify as now I've hit 27...), you are both still pretty young and sex is not without risks. I'm sure you are aware of that already so I don't intend to be preachy, but as with all couples considering having sex I would say pay due attention to what you're comfortable doing and what potential consequences you are comfortable facing up to.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
jenn1994 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,300, Level: 10 Points: 5,300, Level: 10 Points: 5,300, Level: 10

Re: Legally, how far can we go? Statutory rape? UK - December 8th 2014, 09:14 PM

Thanks guys !!
Closed Thread