TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
golauren Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Lauren

Points: 8,451, Level: 13 Points: 8,451, Level: 13 Points: 8,451, Level: 13

school counselor? - October 13th 2014, 12:35 AM

I was just wondering if anyone has talked to their school guidance counselor about their problems and if so how did it go? I'm considering it because I feel so empty inside and like my life is going no where. I'm so stressed out and I'm trying so hard in school but I'm not getting the grades I want. I'm a senior in high school so pretty soon I'm not going to be able to get that kind of help. I want things to get better so bad but I don't know how to make them better by myself. What should I do?

-GoLauren
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,438, Level: 59 Points: 172,438, Level: 59 Points: 172,438, Level: 59

Re: school counselor? - October 13th 2014, 01:01 AM

Hey,

I really do think that you should talk to your school counselor about this. First of all, they are unbiased, so it can be really useful to talk to someone one-on-one and know that you are in a judgement free zone. Secondly, they will be able to suggest some things you can do to cope with the things that are going on in your life, such as the stress and feeling empty inside. They will be able to give you suggestions to try and will be able to even give you activities to do to get yourself back on track. Besides all of that, it can just help a lot knowing you have someone to go to who you can let off steam to!

I think that it is worth it to talk to the guidance counselor because that way you will be able to work out your problems with someone unbiased and trained in helping. When I saw my guidance counselor she helped me see solutions I wouldn't have myself, and it was just nice knowing someone was on my side.

Best of luck!

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Points: 10,038, Level: 14 Points: 10,038, Level: 14 Points: 10,038, Level: 14

Re: school counselor? - October 13th 2014, 02:10 AM

hi there!

Its a good thing that you are considering it! Well I didn't volunteerally... I was kinda force to talk.. (When one of my friends told her about me) and it went okay.. It wasn't as bad as I thought. They'll ask you a bunch of questions so they know what is up and its best not to sugarcoat it cause they can only help if they know the truth! They are not as scarey as they seem! It helps a lot to get it all out! Well that's what my experience was!

What dez said is absolutely right! the guidance counselor will know how to help and will be happy to help you and they are trained to help their students.

Hope I help! Feel free to message me of you have any questions!!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: school counselor? - October 13th 2014, 02:58 AM

Hi Lauren,

Des and Angie made quite a few great points.
I believe you should take the opportunity to speak with your school counselor. Most students go to them about classes (scheduling etc.) but in reality, they can help with a wealth of problems including what you have mentioned here (being stressed, feeling empty etc.)
I hope that talking to them goes well for you and that the suggestions/solutions they help you think of are useful.
Also, keep in mind that after high school you can still receive this type of support. Most universities have counseling services at either low-cost or free for their students (some have limited sessions per semester while others allow up to weekly sessions if needed).
If you are not intending on going to college or university, you may have the option of receiving services at a low-cost counseling center that has a sliding pay scale that adjusts based on certain monetary factors (such as personal income I am thinking). You can search online for local counseling services in your area to see if you can find somewhere low-cost.
Hopefully this helps and that counseling goes well for you.
I know from experience that deciding to connect with a counselor a second time was/is worth the benefits.
Take care.
Christina

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
golauren Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Lauren

Points: 8,451, Level: 13 Points: 8,451, Level: 13 Points: 8,451, Level: 13

Re: school counselor? - October 13th 2014, 03:36 AM

Thank you for all your answers? If I do talk to her, do you have any tips for starting the conversation? Should I just tell her right away or ease into it?

-GoLauren
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,438, Level: 59 Points: 172,438, Level: 59 Points: 172,438, Level: 59

Re: school counselor? - October 13th 2014, 04:09 AM

I think that it would be okay to tell her right away. You can start out by saying that you have been going through a lot lately, and you decided that you need some help and support for it, and then begin discussing what is going on.

When I talked to my guidance counselor, I handed her a letter the first time. I did this for a few reasons. One, I knew that if I handed her a letter I wouldn't be able to back out. Nerves or interruptions wouldn't get in the way of me saying what I needed to. Also, I knew that I wouldn't forget to tell her anything by accident, either! So, letters are an option.

Even if you don't give her a letter, you can always make an outline of the key points you wish to tell her, so that way you don't forget anything.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Tommy1 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,469, Level: 10 Points: 5,469, Level: 10 Points: 5,469, Level: 10

Re: school counselor? - October 15th 2014, 09:15 AM

Just be yourself and go straight to the point. I hope you get the help that you need. Goodluck
Closed Thread