TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 34,050, Level: 26 Points: 34,050, Level: 26 Points: 34,050, Level: 26

Bipolar symptoms? - February 2nd 2022, 05:41 PM

[SIZE="a"]How do you know if you're bipolar? What are the symptoms? Can bipolar last for a long time? Is there treatment for bipolar disorder? I ask because I can't tell if I have a bipolar disorder — I know there are a few different types.[/size]
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: Bipolar symptoms? - February 2nd 2022, 08:19 PM

This is just my personal experience.
I knew I had bipolar because my experience went beyond regular depression. I have type II, so I go through depression and also hypomania. The hypomania and/or regular mania is what separates bipolar from depression. My APRN who prescribes me my medication went through a questionnaire with me and said I do fit the symptoms of bipolar.
When you're manic/hypomanic it's almost like you're experiencing a high, giddiness, irritability sometimes... For me I don't know what to do with myself when I am hypomanic and have a hard time sitting still. Some people may find themselves acting more impulsive or engaging in risky behavior. For me, one of the ways my impulsivity comes out is through impulsive spending... My bank account is currently suffering as proof of this I consider myself to have a lot of "anxious energy" when I am hypomanic. My thoughts race just like when my anxiety disorder acts up, and I feel like I'm going fast. I can get a lot of things done, but it doesn't feel super good to? Then with the depressive episodes, I experience your typical depressive symptoms. Sometimes there are also "mixed episodes" where I get the best of both at the same time
Bipolar is typically thought to be a long term diagnosis, but it can be managed with therapy and/or medications. One type of medication that's typically given is a mood stabilizer. For therapy, CBT or DBT can be useful (I've never done DBT myself though!). A big part about treatment is trying to notice things that may trigger an episode and trying to notice when you feel one coming on. Developing coping skills before you need them is also super important.
This link by the NIH describes more about what bipolar is.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19

Re: Bipolar symptoms? - February 2nd 2022, 09:30 PM

Hi there.

If you're concerned about your mental health, it's always best to discuss it with your doctor or a mental health professional such as a therapist, psychologist or psychiatrist. If you are underage, speaking with your family doctor may be the easiest first point of contact, especially if you don't have a trusted adult to discuss this with.

Here are some great resources that help define what bipolar may look like for some individuals:

Biopolar Disorder | About Kids Health
Bipolar Disorder | National Alliance on Mental Health

If you feel like you'd like to explore assessment or speak with a professional about your concerns, here's a great list to refer to if you are located in the United States:
https://www.everydayhealth.com/bipol...ide/resources/

Stacey
Original join date: 27th September, 2004.
HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor
Closed Thread