TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Pronouns: They / them

Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37

Dissociation - February 20th 2022, 11:30 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Okay long story short I have BPD/EUPD (borderline personality disorder/emotionally unstable personality disorder), I keep dissociating it will happen like 6 or so times a day. Sometimes I realise I am entering a episode of dissociation and be able to like stop myself... and distract, but more often than not I will not be able to realise I am entering a dissociative episode... and will find myself going 'floaty' like I am no longer in my body and am looking at myself through a clouded or misted up mirror, it doesn't feel real, its like I am elsewhere, I've tried to like work out triggers etc but can't find any... I know things have been like quite stressful for me recently... and I've been quite paranoid. But those for me are just general anxiety symptoms.. the dissociation is leaving me with big gaps in my day and I can't always account for what's happened during the period. grounding techniques and distractions don't like really seem to be working.. I dont know what to do...

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
still surviving Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Louis
Pronouns: He/Him

Points: 4,731, Level: 10 Points: 4,731, Level: 10 Points: 4,731, Level: 10

Re: Dissociation - February 21st 2022, 05:14 AM

Hey it's so brave of you to open up, back when I was being overworked twice the normal workweek when I would get anxious I would write down a list of accomplishments (ANY KIND) like 8-10 tops, and whenever I had a dark, gloomy thought, I would look at one of the accomplishments I had and my mood would change instantly.

Tbh I've slacked off and haven't done so in like two years, but I promise to do it when I wake up and uh, update everyone here for sure
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Royallie Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Royallie

Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1

Re: Dissociation - February 21st 2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by still surviving View Post
Hey it's so brave of you to open up, back when I was being overworked twice the normal workweek when I would get anxious I would write down a list of accomplishments (ANY KIND) like 8-10 tops, and whenever I had a dark, gloomy thought, I would look at one of the accomplishments I had and my mood would change instantly.

Tbh I've slacked off and haven't done so in like two years, but I promise to do it when I wake up and uh, update everyone here for sure

i like what you said
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19

Re: Dissociation - February 23rd 2022, 12:30 AM

Hi there.
I'm sorry to hear that you're dealing with an increase in dissociation, that can be difficult to manage. I'm not sure how you're managing your BPD/EUPD but if you aren't already - therapy can be an incredibly important and necessary part of your treatment and management plan. Things like DBT (Dialectical Behaviour Therapy) or EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) are particularly helpful for BPD and dissociation. If you're taking medication, you may wish to discuss with your doctor or mental health professional this increase in dissociation as it may indicate you need to adjust your medication.

Dissociation is a common, and often a harmless symptom of many mental health concerns, but when it becomes excessive and disruptive to your daily life as you've suggested it has - that typically indicates that you need to speak to your mental health care professional or doctor.

For the time being, if you're finding your usual grounding techniques aren't working, explore something like bilateral stimulation - search on youtube or Spotify for bilateral stimulation and you'll find a bunch of playlists (sometimes also called EMDR music). I'm not someone that can meditate, but I use this as an alternative to help with relaxation and sleep and it may be helpful for you if your usual coping mechanisms aren't helping at the moment.

Stacey
Original join date: 27th September, 2004.
HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
QueenElsa Offline
World Famous Choreographer
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Elsa Rugare
Pronouns: they/them/theirs

Points: 206, Level: 2 Points: 206, Level: 2 Points: 206, Level: 2

Re: Dissociation - February 23rd 2022, 01:29 PM

I have one simple technique that helps anyone who is dissociating:

Grasp your left forearm with your right hand.

This will help you feel real in your body.

Loving self-touch is the medicine that stops us from dissociating.

Much love, Queen Elsa
Closed Thread