TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Molz2015 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Molly

Points: 7,478, Level: 12 Points: 7,478, Level: 12 Points: 7,478, Level: 12

Unhappy Is this bulimia? I'm scared. Please help! - February 19th 2013, 02:35 PM

So since October I've been making myself purge once a month. Lately it's been everyday after dinner. I'm ashamed of my body and purging just makes me feel better. I know that i won't lose any weight from doing this it just makes me feel better. I talked to my therapist about it and she gave me the list of what purging can do to the body...liver damage, internal damage, can cause heart attacks, teeth going bad...etc. But i went back that night and did it anyway. I'm just scared. But i can't stop. PLease help!

Sometimes you need to run away just to see who will follow you.

Tired of living and scared of dying.

Stop the world I wanna get off.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Is this bulimia? I'm scared. Please help! - February 19th 2013, 05:07 PM

Hey there,

We do not have the professional authority.to diagnose you with bulimia, but your therapist can refer you to somebody who can help you. Talk to her about the reasons you started purging and the way the habit has become addictive and taken on a life of its own. She's the one that can really help you receive the treatment that you need. Stay strong!

something burning?
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dobbie_93 Offline
Be Your Wild Self
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Laura

Points: 7,202, Level: 12 Points: 7,202, Level: 12 Points: 7,202, Level: 12

Re: Is this bulimia? I'm scared. Please help! - February 20th 2013, 03:39 PM

Hey!

As you know, none of us are experts, we merely speak from our own experiences, so as previously mentioned we cant tell you whether or not you are bulimic.

Firstly, by noticing you have a problem or not a very healthy relationship with food, is the first step in getting help. You need to ask yourself why are you doing the things you're doing, and I mean really ask yourself. You mentioned your worries about your body image so that's clearly a factor.

My best advice would be to either talk to your parents, and if this isn't an option then a trusted friend or doctor - or your therapist. Just someone you are comfortable talking to and trust, because only then can your really start to understand why you're doing it, and with help and support you can overcome it.

Bulimia is a serious illness and really can damage your health - but you're the only one who can say 'I want to stop'.

LOVE IS LOUDER
Than The Pressure To Be
Perfect...
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Silvia Offline
Average Joe

Name: Silvia

Points: 8,023, Level: 13 Points: 8,023, Level: 13 Points: 8,023, Level: 13

Re: Is this bulimia? I'm scared. Please help! - February 22nd 2013, 11:21 AM

Hi,

call it however you want to, but if you identify it as a problem, you should start putting an end to it before it gets worse. Talk about it with your therapist and she/he will give you some tips so that you can learn other ways to feel better. The relief you feel by purging is just temporary, it's not the solution to anything. It's normal not knowing the appropiate tools to cope with certain feelings, but those tools can be learnt, I can tell. Have a chat with your therapist and ask him/her to teach you how to deal with your feelings or emotions

Hugs
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Cassie999 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 10,393, Level: 14 Points: 10,393, Level: 14 Points: 10,393, Level: 14

Re: Is this bulimia? I'm scared. Please help! - February 22nd 2013, 11:27 PM

I can say you have an eating disorder because your ashamed of your body and you feel relief when all the food you have eaten is out of your body. Right now the best recommended treatment is for a physician to manage any medical problems resulting from the disorder, a dietician to help with a healthy eating plan and nutrition education, and a counselor to teach healthy coping skills.
Closed Thread