TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
gabbydeben Offline
Gabby D.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gabby D.

Points: 6,958, Level: 12 Points: 6,958, Level: 12 Points: 6,958, Level: 12

Not anorexia, but still an eating disorder... - April 3rd 2013, 07:08 PM

This thread has been labeled as non-PG13 by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for younger users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hey everyone! I need some help. Now, I don't have an eating disorder like anorexia or bulimia or anything like that. In fact, I would never do that to myself, ever. But I do have a problem. My problem with eating is that I don't eat anything that is at all healthy, in the slightest. I eat next to no fruits (like a strawberry a day) and I only started eating them last week. I eat absolutely no vegetables, except corn. I don't like salad or most things that my mom makes for dinner. I'm 14 years old and really want to change this, because it has become embarrassing. My problem, though, is that I'll eat, say, one grape. Then I'll think to myself that that one grape is not going to improve my health at all, so why bother eating it? I'm starting to improve slowly but I could use all the help I can get in shaking my mindset and eating healthier. Thanks!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Not anorexia, but still an eating disorder... - April 4th 2013, 12:54 AM

Hey Gabby,

I really don't think this constitutes an eating disorder at all, so that's good news! You're picky, and you're not eating healthy, and that doesn't make you a bad person! We all have foods that we don't like. However, this is a problem, since fruits and vegetables are the healthiest of the food groups and have necessary nutrients for your well-being. So I'm going to go with some tips for adding fruits and veggies in your diet.

First, I really like your "one a day" transition. Try just having one. Yes, one grape won't make a difference in the grand scheme of things, but t will start a habit, and that way, you'll be able to increase the serving size that you are eating and slowly be able to attain a taste for these foods.

Second, I would try a LOT of new foods, and by a lot I mean A LOT. Try everything. Try it made differently. For example, many people have only tried spinach cooked. Try it raw. Try salads with different dressings than want you've had. Even if the dressing is "unhealthy" (such as ranch), this will get you used to eating the vegetable, and slowly, you can add more of the veggies and less of the ranch. Basically, look up a book of different fruits and vegetables, and make it a goal to try as many as possible and try to find one that you like. I would expect that you'd like at least one, such as watermelon, pineapple, kiwis, SOMETHING.

Last, don't be so hard on yourself. We all have quirks, but you're trying to get better, and that's the first step! I didn't like a lot of vegetables, such as squash, for a very long time, but I've grown a taste for it. It's part of growing up and it starts with an open mind, as you have.

Because I think it's more fitting, I'm moving your thread to General Health. If you believe it fits more in ED, by all means, message myself or any other ED Mod.

Good luck!
Traci

something burning?
Closed Thread