TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Dental care in eating disorder recovery - November 20th 2015, 11:45 PM

This is not done, but I got a first draft! Posting already for feedback. I'd like to expand almost every section, and if anybody has any tips to recommend from their own recovery, let me know! I plan on adding a section on the importance of regular professional care with a dentist, just haven't yet.

Dental care in eating disorder recovery
By Traci (Coffee.)
Dental repercussions are one of the most easily noticeable longterm side effects of an eating disorder. Particularly with eating disorders with purging, or self-induced vomiting, just months of engaging in the behavior can cause damage to one's teeth due to the repeat exposure to acid. Acid may also cause sores in the mouth and harm the gums. Restricting type eating disorders also harm teeth due to malnutrition making tooth regrowth slower. While in recovery for an eating disorder, it's important that one continues to take care of their teeth and keeps up with general maintenance and takes step to heal and prevent damage. This guide aims to help outline some particular tips when taking care of one's teeth, particularly within eating disorder recovery.

Products for sensitive mouths
For many with purge-type eating disorders, teeth become sensitive with the longterm exposure to acid. Symptoms of sensitive teeth include pain when exposed to hot, cold, or sugary foods. This may be temporary and stop after the behaviors end, but also may continue to affect a person throughout their life. Fortunately, there are many products that are designed for those with sensitive teeth! Toothpastes such as Sensodyne contain ingredients that numb nerves that cause teeth to hurt while eating and help rebuild calcium and other minerals. However, it's important to use the non-whitening varieties, as whitening toothpastes strip enamel including brands for sensitive teeth. Other products that are good for mouths with damage related to eating disorders are non-alcohol fluoride mouthwash, as this avoids irritating any sores in a person's mouth. Woven floss, as opposed to waxed floss, and soft brush toothbrushes are also recommended as they are less likely to make sensitive gums bleed. Using products that reduce sensitivity and are less likely to cause pain can make dental care a bit less painful!

Nutrition is important
Eat good diet affects the teeth just as it affects the diet. In order to be healthy and strong, teeth a diet rich in macronutrients (protein, carbohydrates, and fat) along with many crucial micronutrients, such as Omega-3 fats, calcium, zinc, and folate. Unfortunately, many disordered eating behaviors may put a person at risk for being deficient in one or more nutrient. If you're having trouble keeping yourself fed, consider consider a supplement for to make up for any nutritional needs. This can help both your body be healthy, but also help your teeth rebuild enamel.

Avoid sugary and acidic food
Dental professionals recommend that everybody avoids sugary and acidic beverages and food. However, due to the harm from purging and malnutrition, foods high in sugar and acid might be especially painful or harmful for the teeth of a person with an eating disorder. This can be a double-edge sword, as while somebody is trying to cope with eating and address fear foods, considering the damage to teeth can be overwhelming. What's important is that a person talks to their doctor and makes a meal plan that addresses all of their nutritional needs, prevents tooth decay, and helps a person learn to indulge responsibly.

Care after relapse
If you purge, first remember that it's okay to make mistakes. Relapse is common in recovery, and it's important not to beat yourself up over it. Then, while it may be tempting to brush your teeth or chew gum, this is actually not recommended immediately following a purging episode. Both of these activities can grind acid into your teeth. Instead, rinse your mouth out with water or preferably a mouthwash to get acid out of mouth, and then consider brushing or chewing gum afterwards if this is something that will help you freshen your breath.

If you're coping with any mental illness, it's very easy to fall into a spiral of, "What's the point?" You may feel discouraged to care for your teeth, especially if you have damage from an eating disorder or are still dealing with eating disorder symptoms. However, dental care affects many aspects of health, and recovery is a holistic process. It's important to take care of yourself emotionally and physically, and small steps can go a long way.

something burning?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Dental care in eating disorder recovery - November 21st 2015, 09:07 PM

I really like what you have so far. I have a few small edits that aren't related to content, so I can suggest those a little later. I have struggled with restricting, but not purging, so I don't have much advice on how to expand this. Hopefully someone else will have some ideas.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Dental care in eating disorder recovery - January 10th 2018, 01:27 AM

I'm back everywhere. Draft #2. Still a bit short, but maybe I'm just used to writing atrociously long articles. I'm looking to be more inclusive of restricting and binging, as both are bad for your teeth as well.
Dental care in eating disorder recovery
By Traci (Coffee.)
Dental repercussions are one of the most easily noticeable long-term side effects of an eating disorder. With eating disorders with purging, or self-induced vomiting, just months of engaging in the behavior can cause damage to one's teeth due to the repeat exposure to acid. Restricting type eating disorders also harm teeth due to malnutrition making tooth regrowth slower, and binging can expose teeth an excessive amount of sugary and acidic food. While in recovery for an eating disorder, whether just beginning the recovery journey or recovered and dealing with long-term eating disorder health impacts, it's important that one continues to take care of their teeth by keeping up with general maintenance along with taking steps to heal and prevent damage. This guide aims to help outline some tips when taking care of one's teeth that may be unique to those in eating disorder recovery.

Products for sensitive mouths
For many with purge-type eating disorders, teeth become sensitive with the longterm exposure to acid. This erodes the enamel at teeth causing sensitivity include pain when exposed to hot, cold, or sugary foods. Acid may also cause sores in the mouth and harm the gums. These symptoms may be temporary and stop after the behaviors end, but also may continue to affect a person throughout their life. Fortunately, there are many products that are designed for those with sensitive teeth. Toothpastes such as Sensodyne contain ingredients that numb nerves that cause teeth to hurt while eating and help rebuild calcium and other minerals. However, it's important to use the non-whitening varieties, as whitening toothpastes will still strip enamel even if they are brands marketed towards sensitive teeth, and with the exposure to acid already happening from the eating disorder, a person does not need something else stripping the enamel off their teeth. Other products that are good for mouths with damage related to eating disorders are non-alcohol fluoride mouthwash; alcoholic mouthwash can irritate sores and gums in the mouth. Woven floss, as opposed to waxed floss, and soft brush toothbrushes are also recommended as they are less likely to make sensitive gums bleed. Using products that reduce sensitivity and are less likely to cause pain can make dental care a bit less painful and easier to maintain.

Nutrition is important
A good diet affects the teeth just as it affects the body. In order to be healthy and strong, teeth require a diet rich in macronutrients (protein, carbohydrates, and fat) along with many crucial micronutrients, such as Omega-3 fats, calcium, zinc, and folate. Unfortunately, many disordered eating behaviors may put a person at risk for being deficient in one or more nutrient due to restriction of calories or the purging of necessary nutrients. The abuse of laxatives can also cause the body to not hold onto the nutrients it needs. If you're having trouble keeping yourself fed, especially early in recovery, consider consider a supplement for to make up for any nutritional needs. This can help both your body be healthy, but also help your teeth rebuild enamel.

Avoid sugary and acidic food
Dental professionals recommend that everybody avoids sugary and acidic beverages and food. However, due to the harm from purging and malnutrition, foods high in sugar and acid might be especially painful or harmful for the teeth of a person with an eating disorder. This can be a double-edge sword, as while somebody is trying to cope with reintroducing many fear foods into their diet, considering the damage to teeth can be overwhelming. What's important is that a person talks to their doctor and makes a meal plan that addresses all of their nutritional needs, prevents tooth decay, and helps a person learn to indulge responsibly. Having any food in moderation is fine and finding alternatives or proper aftercare for foods particularly rough on teeth is the key.

Care after relapse
If you purge, first remember that it's okay to make mistakes. Relapse is common in recovery, and it's important not to beat yourself up over it. Then, while it may be tempting to brush your teeth or chew gum, this is actually not recommended immediately following a purging episode. Both of these activities can grind acid into your teeth. Instead, rinse your mouth out with water or preferably a non-alcoholic mouthwash to get acid out of mouth, and then consider brushing or chewing gum afterwards if this is something that will help you freshen your breath.

If you're coping with any mental illness, it's very easy to fall into a spiral of, "What's the point?" You may feel discouraged to care for your teeth, especially if you have damage from an eating disorder or are still dealing with eating disorder symptoms. However, dental care affects many aspects of health, and recovery is a holistic process. It's important to take care of yourself emotionally and physically, and small steps can go a long way. Taking care of your teeth can be a small step to beginning to give back to your body and love it again.

something burning?
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Dental care in eating disorder recovery - January 10th 2018, 01:45 AM

I can't find a lot of information about binge eating but I know that restricting can lead to a weakened jaw bone which can lead to damage/loss of teeth. Although, I feel like you kind of included that by mentioning nutrition because my understanding is that restricting leads to that issue because of lack of nutrients?

Unfortunately it seems like most information about this topic discusses purging.

One thing I remember being told is that after purging it's better to rinse with baking soda because it acts a neutralizer. I don't know how accurate that is but I know a ED therapist mentioned it to me...I know you mentioned not brushing so it probably doesn't need to be added.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Dental care in eating disorder recovery - January 10th 2018, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post
I can't find a lot of information about binge eating but I know that restricting can lead to a weakened jaw bone which can lead to damage/loss of teeth. Although, I feel like you kind of included that by mentioning nutrition because my understanding is that restricting leads to that issue because of lack of nutrients?

Unfortunately it seems like most information about this topic discusses purging.

One thing I remember being told is that after purging it's better to rinse with baking soda because it acts a neutralizer. I don't know how accurate that is but I know a ED therapist mentioned it to me...I know you mentioned not brushing so it probably doesn't need to be added.
Any additional information is great! I'll add the info on restricting and weakened jaw bones and do some research on the baking soda method to chec for accuracy, but I want it to be open to what people may have in their house, so if that's something that works, it'd be a great addition!

I'll do more research on binging; of ED behaviors, it isn't the most detrimental to dental health, but it still has its risks compared to healthy eating. I mentioned how binging is often sugary or acidic food, but I can expand more on that and see if there are any additional risks.

something burning?
Closed Thread